New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · A Day at the Air Show with Tamron 150~600

Jeff Donald
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · A Day at the Air Show with Tamron 150~600

About three weeks ago I was at McDill AFB for AirFest 2014 featuring the Thunderbirds. The day started out with sea fog blowing in and about the time it cleared the planes with the smoke started their show. We had very poor light and contrast through much of the show.

I've put the Exposure data and cropping information below each image.

1/640 sec. at f/7.1, Aperture priority, 600mm, ISO 400, cropped about ⅔ of original size

1/800 sec. at f/6.3, Aperture priority, 600mm, ISO 400, cropped about 80% of original size

1/1000 sec. at f/6.3, Aperture priority, 600mm, ISO 400, cropped about ⅔ original size

1/400 sec. at f/11, Aperture priority, 600mm, ISO 400, full frame

1/1600 sec. at f/8, Aperture priority, 600mm, ISO 400, cropped about ⅔ original size

1/2000 sec. at f/8, Aperture priority, 600mm, ISO 400, cropped about 50%

The lens performed under the conditions very well I thought. I used a 1Ds MkII that shoots at 4 FPS and could not use the "spray and pray" method of shooting high speed action. I used Servo with back button focus and single point focus (center AF point). My keeper rate was about 70%. Initially I had the AI Servo Tracking Sensitivity (C. FN 20) set to 0 Standard. However, this caused the AF to refocus on foreground objects when the planes passed in front of poles etc. I switched it to Moderately Slow (20-2) and that solved the issue.

I've previously shot several air shows at McDill and others across the country, but this was the first time with this body, lens combination and overall I was pleased with the results. In prior years I'd used the Canon 100~400mm, 300mmf/2.8 with a TC, and 70-200 f/2.8 IS II. While the 300mm produced sharper images the weight of that combo has drawbacks. At the end of the day when the Blue Angels or Thunderbirds perform my arms are pretty tired and even with the IS, I'm less steady.

I personally feel that the Tamron is sharper than the 100~400mm. I've owned several copies and I'd dismiss the argument that my copies were all somehow less sharp. The inability to zoom to 600mm is a severe limitation at air shows in my opinion. If you add a 1.4X TC you're now at f/8 and consumer cameras won't AF. Even if they did, I feel the Tamron is sharper than that combination.

Thanks for reading and I'll be happy to answer any questions, if I can.

Apr 11, 2014 at 10:00 AM
Massimo Foti
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · A Day at the Air Show with Tamron 150~600

Thanks a lot, I was really looking forward for something like this

Apr 11, 2014 at 10:36 AM
voltaire
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · A Day at the Air Show with Tamron 150~600

Great photos! Thanks for sharing.

Apr 11, 2014 at 11:52 AM
shutterbug guy
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · A Day at the Air Show with Tamron 150~600

Nice captures! Looks like that lens is working good for you.

Apr 12, 2014 at 09:51 AM
Nowhere Man
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · A Day at the Air Show with Tamron 150~600

Really nice shots. I know from experience airshows can be extremely difficult to shoot. Can you slow the shutter speed a bit more on the planes to give the prop more blur? Too much stoppage imho.

Apr 12, 2014 at 10:14 AM
mark fadely
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · A Day at the Air Show with Tamron 150~600

Those shots look pretty good, but I would agree to shoot the prop planes at a slower shutter speed for blur. Also, what are the processing halos around the group shots of the T-6's and the Thunderbirds? I wouldn't normally mention anything but I thought you should know if you're teaching workshops and such.

Apr 12, 2014 at 11:26 AM
Jeff Donald
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · A Day at the Air Show with Tamron 150~600

mark fadely wrote:
Those shots look pretty good, but I would agree to shoot the prop planes at a slower shutter speed for blur. Also, what are the processing halos around the group shots of the T-6's and the Thunderbirds? I wouldn't normally mention anything but I thought you should know if you're teaching workshops and such.

I exported them through LR and the sharpening for screen was set too high. There aren't any artifacts when viewed in LR. Thanks for pointing them out.

Apr 12, 2014 at 08:52 PM
Jeff Donald
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · A Day at the Air Show with Tamron 150~600

Nowhere Man wrote:
Really nice shots. I know from experience airshows can be extremely difficult to shoot. Can you slow the shutter speed a bit more on the planes to give the prop more blur? Too much stoppage imho.

I'd forgotten about the props until later in the day and by then the sky was white, so i didn't post those. But I agree they look much better when there is some blur to the props,

Apr 12, 2014 at 08:56 PM
Jonathan Huynh
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · A Day at the Air Show with Tamron 150~600

You did well, most about 50% crop but still look as good.

Apr 12, 2014 at 08:57 PM
dsr1
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · A Day at the Air Show with Tamron 150~600

These are some really nice Air Show shots with the 150-600 Jeff. I think it's the only non bird shots I've seen taken with it.

I live in Abilene TX home of Dyess Air Force base and this year is the third Air Fest they have cancelled, they say due to budget cuts. I wonder if it's B-1 Bomber wing being here has anything to do with it?

Apr 12, 2014 at 10:50 PM
godfreyz
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · A Day at the Air Show with Tamron 150~600

Excellent shots!

Apr 14, 2014 at 09:06 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.