Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · IR optical vs radio flash triggering?

Loren E
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · IR optical vs radio flash triggering?

Hi all, I currently have a 430 ex II which has been a great flash for me on camera on my 5D mkIII. I want to start shooting wireless off-camera flash. I have been thinking of adding another 430 ex II and using the pair as slaves with a 580 ex II on camera but am curious how reliable IR optical triggering is for outside shoots on sunny days. Is it common, when shooting outside in the sun, to have your slaves not pick up on the IR and not fire? I would really like to avoid the investment in a pair of 600 ex-rt and a YN-E3-RT but if the radio triggering is significantly better than maybe it is worth selling my 430 and getting a 600 ex and YN-E3-RT to start, and adding a second 600 later down the line. Thanks for any input from those with experience! -Loren

Apr 10, 2014 at 11:44 PM
PasiM
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · IR optical vs radio flash triggering?

IR system range in a direct sun light is just a few meters. And it needs a clear line of sight. Go radio.

Apr 10, 2014 at 11:58 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · IR optical vs radio flash triggering?

I used my 7D, ST-E2, 430EX and 420EX for 5 years. I mainly shot macro with reflectors and it was a very reliable setup, basically triggering 100% of the time. Of course, you need line-of-sight between the ST-E2 and the 430EX sensor and must stay within the 15 foot trigger range. If your hand or a tree branch get in the way, it's a no go.

With that said, this is not a good setup for shooting groups of people outdoors, e.g., wedding party, as you'll be bumping up against the extremes of the range in terms of both distance and angle of trigger coverage. You'll suffer endless frustration. It's best suited for macro and indoor shooting in rooms with lots of reflective surfaces. For daytime shooting of groups of people outdoors, you need to invest the big bucks for radio or forever be sorry.

Apr 11, 2014 at 12:00 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · IR optical vs radio flash triggering?

I think if its outdoors triggering your wanting your going to much happier with the investment in radio of some sort .

a couple of 600's and the YN would be my choice . but there are options that can turn optical into radio and back again (I think even Yunguno do something now) .

also its got to be at some point that canon will overhaul the lower (smaller) heads and make them radio as well . Im sure a 430RT would sell really well

Apr 11, 2014 at 12:50 AM
docsmiles17
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · IR optical vs radio flash triggering?

Don't have the 430 but don't see why a couple pocket wizard TT5 and/or TT1 wouldn't solve your issue.

Apr 11, 2014 at 01:14 AM
UCSB
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · IR optical vs radio flash triggering?

I used the optical system for years (ST-E2, 430's, 580's) and still have six of these units that I have been meaning to sell. I went with the (ST-E3-RT & 600's) a while ago. If you can swing it, go with the 600's. The user interface, two way communications and a long list of other small upgrades are nicer. Plus, I feel Canon will be probably be adding radio functions to their smaller flash units sooner or later ... I thought they would introduce a 430 upgrade for sure.

If you want to really understand the differences, here is a seminar you can watch:
http://www.learn.usa.canon.com/galleries/galleries/tutorials/syl_arena_speedlite_600exrt_seminar.shtml

Apr 11, 2014 at 04:02 AM
KiboOst
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · IR optical vs radio flash triggering?

I used IR for studio strobes, and had sometimes problems because you need them directly in path. But softbox can mask it etc and it was hit and miss. I then used PC synch cables, but my feet didn't liked them.
I use now some cheap phottix strato, and all is just a dream real. Fire and forget !

Apr 11, 2014 at 07:14 AM
gwaww
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · IR optical vs radio flash triggering?

I now have 600's and a Yongnuo STe 3 RT but I did well with 580 and 430's with yongnuo YN622c radio triggers. They are about $40 each and you need one for every flash and one on the camera. They convert Canon's IR signal to radio work well in bright sun.

Apr 11, 2014 at 08:26 AM
Loren E
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · IR optical vs radio flash triggering?

Thanks for the input folks. I am going to go for a 600 RT. Sounds like a shame that Canon would exclude the AF affist beam on the ST-E3, especially when it's so pricy. Now it's time for them to replace the 430 II with a similarly sized/powered RT flash to complement the 600!

Apr 11, 2014 at 03:37 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · IR optical vs radio flash triggering?

Loren E wrote:
...a shame that Canon would exclude the AF affist beam on the ST-E3, especially when it's so pricy.

That's one thing I like about my Yongnuo YN-622C transceivers: the one on the camera projects an AF assist grid.

The YN-622C radios are very reasonably priced, and turn any Canon Speedlite into a radio-triggered system with full ETTL and/or Manual Output control. They work with any Canon body that has a flash control menu. I'm using mine with my 7D and 6D, and one 580EX II and two 430EX IIs. I may get another pair so I can throw in my two Vivitar 285HVs for background lights and such. (Yes, you can mix ETTL and Manual.)

Apr 11, 2014 at 07:03 PM
timbop
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · IR optical vs radio flash triggering?

BrianO wrote:
That's one thing I like about my Yongnuo YN-622C transceivers: the one on the camera projects an AF assist grid.

The YN-622C radios are very reasonably priced, and turn any Canon Speedlite into a radio-triggered system with full ETTL and/or Manual Output control. They work with any Canon body that has a flash control menu. I'm using mine with my 7D and 6D, and one 580EX II and two 430EX IIs. I may get another pair so I can throw in my two Vivitar 285HVs for background lights and such. (Yes, you can mix ETTL and Manual.)

Very good points - Canon seems to go 90% of the way and then stop. With Canon you need to replace ALL of your speedlites with $600 flashes, and can't wirelessly trigger strobes. There are much cheaper options available that do let you trigger anything, some of them reliable and some of them not so. Price doesn't necessarily guarantee reliability as I tried going the pocketwizard flex system and the RF interference from my 580 flashes was infuriating. I now use paul buff cybersync's, and they are very reliable. However, if I had it to do over again I would look into the e-ttl triggers available.

Apr 12, 2014 at 07:51 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.