Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

CPS vs. Adobe Creative Cloud support

aboudd
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · CPS vs. Adobe Creative Cloud support

I just posted a long piece on the merits and failings of these two technical support systems. It comes down to Canon CPS great, Adobe Creative Cloud - not so much.

If you are interested the illustrated article is posted at www.foto-gizmo.blogspot.com.

Regards,

Aboud Dweck

Apr 10, 2014 at 10:00 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · CPS vs. Adobe Creative Cloud support

Hey Aboud,

An interesting premise, comparing service and support for Canon equipment from CPS with service and support for the Adobe Creative Cloud. My experience with CPS Canada is very similar to yours, not in the details of the examples that you provided, but certainly in the overall excellent response.

My experience with Adobe service and support is confined to PS CS6 and earlier versions, but based on my limited experience with support for license management problems and migrating PS applicaitions, my expectations aren't very high, which says something, I guess.

P.S. you could encourage more FM readers to read your blog article if you provided more detail about it, in this thread.

Apr 10, 2014 at 10:25 PM
Thorsten
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · CPS vs. Adobe Creative Cloud support

Interesting read - thanks for posting it! Could you share how much that "enhanced customer support" for CC costs that you had signed up for, I did't even know there was such a thing (a support plan for CC), and what level of CPS you signed up for?

Apr 10, 2014 at 10:38 PM
aubsxc
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · CPS vs. Adobe Creative Cloud support

I don't use CC but I have tried to get support from Adobe in the past for Photoshop, and I have figured out that I will do much better asking questions on public photo forums than trying to deal with their support. Adobe's support is a joke.

Apr 10, 2014 at 11:35 PM
chez
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · CPS vs. Adobe Creative Cloud support

I've never needed support from Adobe. The only service with Canon was not that good as it took multiple trips to Canon and 1.5 months of no lens before it was finally fixed.

Now service I got from Fuji was simply outstanding...including a followup call to ensure all was well.

Apr 11, 2014 at 01:05 AM
aboudd
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · CPS vs. Adobe Creative Cloud support

Thorsten wrote:
Interesting read - thanks for posting it! Could you share how much that "enhanced customer support" for CC costs that you had signed up for, I did't even know there was such a thing (a support plan for CC), and what level of CPS you signed up for?

Adobe's web site says that enhanced customer support is part of the subscription. I had better luck with CS5 calling Adobe directly and if I recall, the support was U.S. based. It really is a shame that Adobe software, which is feature rich and the gold standard for photo processing, has such convoluted customer support.

Apr 11, 2014 at 01:50 AM
aboudd
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · CPS vs. Adobe Creative Cloud support

jcolwell wrote:
Hey Aboud,

An interesting premise, comparing service and support for Canon equipment from CPS with service and support for the Adobe Creative Cloud. My experience with CPS Canada is very similar to yours, not in the details of the examples that you provided, but certainly in the overall excellent response.

My experience with Adobe service and support is confined to PS CS6 and earlier versions, but based on my limited experience with support for license management problems and migrating PS applicaitions, my expectations aren't very high, which says something, I guess.

P.S. you could encourage more FM readers to read your blog
...Show more

Thanks for the suggestion. Normally I do include excerpts and bullet points on the FM posts, but in the way this article was written it wasn't really possible.

I have the Gold CPS membership. It was the best hundred bucks I ever spent.

Apr 11, 2014 at 01:55 AM
Thorsten
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · CPS vs. Adobe Creative Cloud support

aboudd wrote:
Adobe's web site says that enhanced customer support is part of the subscription. I had better luck with CS5 calling Adobe directly and if I recall, the support was U.S. based. It really is a shame that Adobe software, which is feature rich and the gold standard for photo processing, has such convoluted customer support.

Ah, thanks! I had been wondering if they were offering some separate support plan. But I guess that "enhanced support" then is just a marketing slogan.

Apr 11, 2014 at 03:52 AM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · CPS vs. Adobe Creative Cloud support

I have very good experince with the support both from CPS and Adobe

Apr 11, 2014 at 04:36 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · CPS vs. Adobe Creative Cloud support

I've has some majorly bad experiences with Adobe (non-Cloud), right up until a few months ago. Several years worth.

OTOH, Canon CPS has been a dream and live saver. I can't say I've ever had anything but good experiences there, going back to the mid 90s, with a break after it became a pay membership, not strictly pro. But, I'm back as of several years ago, and more pleased than before.

Apr 11, 2014 at 04:47 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

krementz
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · CPS vs. Adobe Creative Cloud support

Nice blog post. I have had similar experiences with both organizations: CPS +, Adobe -

Apr 11, 2014 at 10:25 AM
John_T
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · CPS vs. Adobe Creative Cloud support

After many years of faithfully updating, upgrading and registering all my Adobe products, while at the same time having to dig and grovel through the internet and Adobe sites to find out anything beyond the superficial, I was rewarded in October last year with a letter from Adobe saying all my data at Adobe had been hacked and robbed. Yesterday I got a bonus e-mail from a European internet security agency saying said data stolen from Adobe was currently being used by Unknown Parties for criminal purposes and I should take every imaginable measure to protect myself.

Thank you Adobe, you can keep your damn Clouds.

Apr 11, 2014 at 11:12 AM
OntheRez
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · CPS vs. Adobe Creative Cloud support

Your blog neatly summarizes my relationship with both Canon and Adobe - and this has held constant since well before the current "hostageware" scheme. Yes, I pay Canon $300USD @ year for enhanced service, but the cost of Adobe software ownership has prorated out to about the same or more. (Depends on which CSx package I purchased.)

I'm sure some people never need Adobe support. I'm also certain that some people have had bad experiences with Canon. I have no way to provide a statistically supportable statement so the following is simply anecdotal. Across my dozen or so photographic colleagues, Canon users are nearly 100% positive in their reports with Canon service. The Nikon shooters are less enamored with Nikon's. Since I shoot Canon I can't comment on their experience, but it does seem to be a fairly widespread criticism of Nikon. Regardless of shooting platform, no one in my acquaintance has anything positive to say about Adobe, even those who have signed up for CC.

Beyond the fact that Adobe seems to deliberately try to make help inaccessible with an absolute telephonic labyrinth, if I ever reach a human being the disjunct in English dialects is so extreme that communication is truly difficult. I go to great pains in attempting to communicate: speaking slower and more distinctly, pausing for full responses, etc. I also ask the support person to do the same. Nonetheless, I've never received useful information from the front line people. I fear they are simply Adobe's cannon fodder to wear down the users. I feel sorry from them as they clearly have not been equipped to do their job. I have on three occasions persevered and finally reached someone (generally 2 steps up) to get a solution to a direct Adobe bug. The only clear and consistent message I get from Adobe is the same: "Sign up for CC now while you can." The fact that every support person at any level can communicate this clearly and well tells us exactly what Adobe considers important.

In a nutshell, Canon has to compete with Nikon and a variety of others. Adobe competes with ?

Robert

Apr 11, 2014 at 03:37 PM
aboudd
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · CPS vs. Adobe Creative Cloud support

"In a nutshell, Canon has to compete with Nikon and a variety of others. Adobe competes with ?"

A good point, Adobe has no real competition especially for a suite of programs. There is always the chance, and hope, that another player will enter the ring, but they would need very deep pockets.

As to Canon, I think it is simply their culture, they are smart about keeping customers and spreading good will. When I was a Nikon pro services member I never used the service, fortunately I didn't have to, so I cannot offer any first hand experience on the matter. However, I haven't heard glowing things about NPS either. If someone out there can join the conversation with reviews of any of the other players, that would advance the conversation.

Happy Easter all! Remember, eat the ears first.

Apr 19, 2014 at 04:42 PM
mogud
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · CPS vs. Adobe Creative Cloud support

I think Canon support and CPS are great!! I like spending my $100 each year for CPS which does sound strange I realize. OTOH, I feel I'm being pressured into signing up for Adobe CC because it's like I'm being forced to. I'm not a fan of Adobe's attitude and tactics while their software is great and now I feel like a drug user, I can't live without Adobe software and I'm wanting more and more.....

Apr 19, 2014 at 06:52 PM
ICee
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · CPS vs. Adobe Creative Cloud support

I'm a gold cps member in the UK and have used them a few times and can't fault them.
I can't comment on Adobe cc as I don't use it.

Apr 19, 2014 at 06:59 PM
super35
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · CPS vs. Adobe Creative Cloud support

Adobe is headquartered in the USA but outside of sales and marketing, Adobe USA is management who send all the actual programming, quality control, and customer service work overseas. There is a huge disconnect between management and the actual work being done, both by language and physical distance.

About the lack of quality control, I stated to notice how bad it was over 15 years ago and it has gotten worse over the years. They regularly release broken, bug filled software. It is the course of normal operation for them. The more frequent Cloud releases haven't made this better. They pretend to be a software company but with the move to CC, they are really just a marketing and financing business. The software itself is a second class citizen, the customers are the beta testers/quality control and real business is getting you to sign a contract to pay $9.99, $19.99, or $49.99 a month.

Apr 19, 2014 at 07:43 PM
ggreene
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · CPS vs. Adobe Creative Cloud support

Speaking as someone who talks to software support a lot in my main job, it is not just Adobe with the issues. A lot of software companies put no effort into support and just farm it out to India. Oracle is especially bad at having almost unintelligible people on the other end. We have gotten to the point of requesting communication only through email. Phone calls are simply exercises in frustration.

Apr 20, 2014 at 02:51 AM
erikburd
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · CPS vs. Adobe Creative Cloud support

Many companies like Dell have moved some of their business level support from India back to the US because of people complaining. There's nothing worse than having to deal with support staff who are unable and/or unwilling to help, along with poor English to boot. Most companies are willing to outsource it because of cheap labor. Nothing more.

Having worked in technical support in a previous life, it's a tough job to begin with.

Apr 20, 2014 at 03:10 AM
Sarsfield
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · CPS vs. Adobe Creative Cloud support

Adobe is headquartered in the USA but outside of sales and marketing, Adobe USA is management who send all the actual programming, quality control, and customer service work overseas.

Cite your sources for this. I call BS. And as for their software being "broken" and "bug-filled", could you please cite specifics for this also? I have been using Photoshop for thirty years and it's capacity to overwhelm most users is common and then said users cry that the software doesn't work or is "buggy". If you take the time to learn even the basics, you will find out very quickly that PS post processing makes your photography so much more than the captured shot could ever express. To me, and MILLIONS of photographers and artists, it is an indispensable tool that gets better with every release.

Apr 20, 2014 at 04:00 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password