Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · One last Thor's Well

jord217
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · One last Thor's Well

Hey guys,

I've posted a few shots from here in the past and I figured I would show the last one I processed from the set. My other photos had me right on the edge but this was when I first arrived and decided to hold back and see exactly what this thing could do. I noticed that it was relatively safe to be close except for when the inlet hole had a burst of water shoot in like shown here in the photo. My best advice for this place is to take a lot of extra t-shirts to wipe off your gear. I also learned very well how to execute the duck and cover technique when those walls of water crashed on top of me. This was one of those times I wish the campground had a washer and drier since the one in town wasn't open late. The smell of wet socks and shoes lingered in our car for about a week
Have a great day everyone.

Jordan

*Edit* I posted a second with less contrast and less heavy handed processing. One of these days I'll post a photo on here and get it right the first time

Edited on Apr 10, 2014 at 03:47 PM · View previous versions

Apr 10, 2014 at 02:49 PM
Nigel Turner
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · One last Thor's Well

Hi Jord,

Well I have to admit that this just doesn't work for me due to the processing and sharpening. I'm not sure if this is due to poor HDR rendering (if that is what you did) or some other type of processing.
I think compositionally it could be a very good image as I can see that the actual water and the way it flows throughout the frame has much potential.

Apr 10, 2014 at 02:58 PM
jord217
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · One last Thor's Well

Thanks Nigel,

Maybe too much clarity? I had one exposure for the sky and another shot for everything else. It was cloudy so exposure wasn't an issue. I'll mess around with it a bit and see what I can do.

Apr 10, 2014 at 03:04 PM
stanparker
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · One last Thor's Well

For me, the issue is too much contrast, possibly sharpening. Of course, I always prefer a more natural look, not everyone does. The composition/capture is great.

Apr 10, 2014 at 03:17 PM
jord217
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · One last Thor's Well

Thanks Stan. I'm working on it now. I'll pull out some contrast and see how it looks. I really didn't need to do too much to this so I think it's just a matter of getting the processing right.

*edit* Yup, that was it Stan. I didn't add any in post but I didn't pull any out either. I'll work on it for a while but it looks much nicer now.

Apr 10, 2014 at 03:23 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · One last Thor's Well

Hey Jordan,

I actually prefer the 1st one here, I like the extra contrast. I think this might be one where you just need to print it and see what looks best in print.

It's got some cool water action going on, my only thought is the composition feels just a bit unbalanced, like it is to much too the right. How about cropping a bit off the left to get the well right in the middle?

I have been up there a couple of times now, but haven't had the tide high enough for the well action. I definitely would like to time it a bit better and shoot it again.

Jim

Apr 10, 2014 at 04:10 PM
jord217
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · One last Thor's Well

Thanks Jim,

I think you're right about printing it. I have a print of one of my others that has a little extra oomph and it looks pretty nice. I'll mess with the crop. Most of my other were centered so I just wanted to throw it over to the side a little more. I haven't even looked to see how it looks cropped to center but I'll give it a go.

Apr 10, 2014 at 04:25 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.