Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Ski Patroller (different approach)

cmcleod
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Ski Patroller (different approach)

I liked the results of my last post and received some positive feedback overall. In the end, the result was not entirely what I had envisioned so I decided to give it another go. This time I decided the studio backdrop added very little and an environmental portrait was more appropriate. We were able to get up on the mountain early, just after sunrise, and shoot from a great location which included these iconic radio towers in the background. We then went down to the base area and took some portraits in the meeting/locker room. Any C&C you may have is always welcome.

Apr 10, 2014 at 09:44 AM
Steady Hand
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Ski Patroller (different approach)

Hi.

I saw the earlier series of photos (studio look).

I also read your rationalization (your stated reasons) of why the studio look was what you wanted.

Looking at these photos, I find the "mountain top" photo MUCH more appealing, more impressive (of the person in the photo) and more interesting as a photo.

I hope these comments help you.

Apr 10, 2014 at 01:27 PM
friscoron
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Ski Patroller (different approach)

Shot No. 1 rocks my boat! Great job!

I think the other interior environmental portrait, there is so much stuff in the background, and the contrasty look from one light really drives the busy-ness of the background. It might work better with more lights.

Apr 10, 2014 at 03:21 PM
markhatlen

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Ski Patroller (different approach)

the up close detail on the outdoor picture is very appealing

Apr 10, 2014 at 03:53 PM
cmcleod
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Ski Patroller (different approach)

Steady Hand wrote:
Hi.

I saw the earlier series of photos (studio look).

I also read your rationalization (your stated reasons) of why the studio look was what you wanted.

Looking at these photos, I find the "mountain top" photo MUCH more appealing, more impressive (of the person in the photo) and more interesting as a photo.

I hope these comments help you.

Thanks Steady. I appreciate your feedback.

Apr 10, 2014 at 03:58 PM
cmcleod
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Ski Patroller (different approach)

friscoron wrote:
Shot No. 1 rocks my boat! Great job!

I think the other interior environmental portrait, there is so much stuff in the background, and the contrasty look from one light really drives the busy-ness of the background. It might work better with more lights.

Thanks Ron! There are actually 2 lights working here. I lit the subject with a small softbox and the background with a second strobe in a reflector with a grid. Both are from the same direction so it may appear there is only one light. My hope was to control the amount of light on the background by lighting it separately and not depending on spill from the main. Curious as to your suggestion; if the background appears to be overly busy, dont you think by adding lights and highlighting the background more, the result would be the same (or more exaggerated)? My goal was to provide insight into the world of a ski patroller by including their possessions and tools, the place where they start and finish their days.

Apr 10, 2014 at 04:19 PM
oiseau0001
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Ski Patroller (different approach)

I actually don't care for #1. I find the limited depth of field distracting, and it takes away from an otherwise beautiful landscape. In fact, I find it almost looks like a studio backdrop. I believe the subject has sufficient contrast to actually do a much larger DOF and still jump out from the BG. #2 is my favorite from this set.

Apr 10, 2014 at 09:03 PM
david1234
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Ski Patroller (different approach)

oiseau0001 wrote:
I actually don't care for #1. I find the limited depth of field distracting, and it takes away from an otherwise beautiful landscape. In fact, I find it almost looks like a studio backdrop. I believe the subject has sufficient contrast to actually do a much larger DOF and still jump out from the BG. #2 is my favorite from this set.

I completely disagree.

I love 1, the separation from the background is so buttery smooth. The phase1 really shined on this shot!
Seriously great work. 2 is also a really great portrait.

Apr 10, 2014 at 09:25 PM
ChiShutter
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Ski Patroller (different approach)

Nice shots. For me, the ones back in the locker room work better the one on the mountainside. I prefer a more natural balance between strobe and ambient, this one is a touch jarring for me.

Apr 10, 2014 at 09:35 PM
Jim Rickards
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Ski Patroller (different approach)

#1 is my pick. I like that you are showing him walking up the slope through snow. A very clever environmental shot that is great for showing him "at work".

The other shots also show more of "..a day in the life of..." so as a set I see them fitting in well, even though the backgrounds are busy. Note that we don't see the backgrounds BEFORE seeing him. We see them after. So not so much of a distraction, but one of those photo techniques that place lots of things in the frame for the viewer to explore after seeing the main subject. I say well done.

Apr 11, 2014 at 12:26 AM
jeffh1

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Ski Patroller (different approach)

Some great shots Thanks for sharing

Apr 11, 2014 at 02:09 AM
CW100
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Ski Patroller (different approach)

nice mountain set

Apr 11, 2014 at 06:14 AM
canerino
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Ski Patroller (different approach)

outstanding work.

Apr 11, 2014 at 09:22 AM
cmcleod
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Ski Patroller (different approach)

david1234 wrote:
I completely disagree.

I love 1, the separation from the background is so buttery smooth. The phase1 really shined on this shot!
Seriously great work. 2 is also a really great portrait.

Thanks David! I also love the buttery smooth separation. Ive really been impressed by the phase1 in these situations.

Apr 11, 2014 at 10:03 AM
cmcleod
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Ski Patroller (different approach)

canerino wrote:
outstanding work.

Thanks Chuck!

Apr 11, 2014 at 10:04 AM
cmcleod
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Ski Patroller (different approach)

Jim Rickards wrote:
#1 is my pick. I like that you are showing him walking up the slope through snow. A very clever environmental shot that is great for showing him "at work".

The other shots also show more of "..a day in the life of..." so as a set I see them fitting in well, even though the backgrounds are busy. Note that we don't see the backgrounds BEFORE seeing him. We see them after. So not so much of a distraction, but one of those photo techniques that place lots of things in the frame for the viewer to explore
...Show more

I appreciate your input Jim. Funny you use the phrase "a day in the life of", these are a part of a ongoing project for the mountain to highlight employees and positions for recruitment materials. The concept is "a day in the life of".

Apr 11, 2014 at 10:10 AM
elisana125

[X]
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Ski Patroller (different approach)

I like snow, nice pictures!

Apr 11, 2014 at 10:48 AM
Steady Hand
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Ski Patroller (different approach)

oiseau0001 wrote:

I agree about the limited DOF making this look like a "studio backdrop" or "background dropped in by photoshop" image.

I agree that more DOF would work because of the contrast of the colors of the costume.

From my POV, showing DEPTH is important in a scene that has depth and distance.

Hope that helps.

Apr 11, 2014 at 11:33 AM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.