Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Reflector recommendations?

Squirrely Eyed
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Reflector recommendations?

I'd like to get some reflectors for both indoor (flash & natural) and outdoor (sunlight) for mostly family portrait work. As such I believe foldable systems are the most appropriate for my needs. For artificial lighting I only so far have a single speedlite that I can use for OCF. I figure for a picture amongst the flowers in the park, I'd be better off with reflectors.

I'm not very experience with reflectors. Please feel free to provide any insight you have for recommendations.

I especially need help with the trade-offs among the various key groups I've seen:
Size -- bigger or smaller better?
Shape -- circular, rectangular?
Multi-reflector kits -- seems silver, white, and translucent are most useful. Gold?
Brands -- they all look basically the same, any specific recommendations?

Much thanks in advance for your expertise!

Apr 10, 2014 at 09:09 AM
hijazist
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Reflector recommendations?

I had the brand-name reflector and now the cheapo and I can tell you they both function the same. Here's the one I currently have:

http://www.amazon.com/Neewer-110CM-Collapsible-Multi-Disc-Reflector/dp/B002ZIMEMW/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1397196425&sr=1-1&keywords=5+in+1+reflector+photography

It's a great value for the money and very portable. Anything bigger will be a hassle to transport. Circulars are used mostly for lighting up the face and shoulders, the bigger rectangular ones are usually used for lighting up a whole side of the body, head to toe. I would avoid using the gold unless it's a really dull outcast day since it has a very strong warm cast, besides you can always add warmth in post which is better because you can control it. The translucent is useful for creating shade in harsh sunlight so you can fill using your flash instead of the sun. I mostly use the white side and sometimes the silver if I want to add punch.

Apr 11, 2014 at 01:11 AM
Squirrely Eyed
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Reflector recommendations?

Thanks for your feedback!

Apr 11, 2014 at 09:36 AM
Gregg Heckler
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Reflector recommendations?

If you work alone, the Lastolite Trigrip is great.

Apr 11, 2014 at 11:57 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.