Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Testpost from Flickr, no "downsizing PP"

And 1024

Apr 10, 2014 at 05:24 AM
wfrank
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Testpost from Flickr, no "downsizing PP"

A less doffy shot @1600 (original 6000x4000)

And 1024

Apr 10, 2014 at 05:27 AM
wfrank
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Testpost from Flickr, no "downsizing PP"

These look sharp and nice on a MacBook Retina 15 inch. But most images does.

I'd be grateful for any feedback how it looks on a more std resolution screen. In particular when it comes to the sharpness. Thank you.

Apr 10, 2014 at 05:32 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Testpost from Flickr, no "downsizing PP"

They look good.

Apr 10, 2014 at 08:41 AM
Keiththom
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Testpost from Flickr, no "downsizing PP"

They look great here. What were they shot with?

Apr 11, 2014 at 10:44 AM
wfrank
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Testpost from Flickr, no "downsizing PP"

Thank you guys. They're shot with the Sony A7 and the native Zeiss FE55/1.8 (@ ISO1600).

Apr 11, 2014 at 11:01 AM
wfrank
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Testpost from Flickr, no "downsizing PP"

More tests. 1024 downsized by Flickr, 1280 by me, 1600 by Flickr. Two shots, Sony A7 + Zeiss FE55/1.8

DSC01747 by Wilhelm Frank - Stockholm, on Flickr

DSC01747 1280 by Wilhelm Frank - Stockholm, on Flickr

DSC01747 by Wilhelm Frank - Stockholm, on Flickr

- - -

DSC01743 by Wilhelm Frank - Stockholm, on Flickr

DSC01743 1280 by Wilhelm Frank - Stockholm, on Flickr

DSC01743 by Wilhelm Frank - Stockholm, on Flickr

Apr 11, 2014 at 03:48 PM
Jeffrey
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Testpost from Flickr, no "downsizing PP"

I don't get it. Why not simply downsize them in the editor you use for post processing instead of hoping that a website based mystery routine will do it as well?

Apr 11, 2014 at 04:04 PM
wfrank
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Testpost from Flickr, no "downsizing PP"

Flickr downsizing again. 1024 and 1600. Sony A7, Voigtländer 35/1.2II

DSC01508 by Wilhelm Frank - Stockholm, on Flickr

DSC01508 by Wilhelm Frank - Stockholm, on Flickr

Apr 11, 2014 at 04:35 PM
wfrank
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Testpost from Flickr, no "downsizing PP"

Jeffrey wrote:
I don't get it. Why not simply downsize them in the editor you use for post processing instead of hoping that a website based mystery routine will do it as well?

Sry I maybe should have been clearer. I just switched from a PC with "normal" resolution (something like 120-130 dpi) to a MacBook 15 inch Retina which has super resolution (something like 230-240 dpi) that is very skilled in hiding over sharpening. I am a bit picky about downsizing and sharpening and I am trying to get a hang of the new screen.

Here's a month old "manual" downsizing to 1440 I was quite happy about (done with the PC old screen)
DSC01508 1440 by Wilhelm Frank - Stockholm, on Flickr

Apr 11, 2014 at 04:43 PM
wfrank
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Testpost from Flickr, no "downsizing PP"

DSC01694 by Wilhelm Frank - Stockholm, on Flickr

Apr 13, 2014 at 03:39 PM
Mirek Elsner
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Testpost from Flickr, no "downsizing PP"

Some pictures have the "blah blah blah by Wilhelm Frank, on Flickr" and some don't. Would you share the exact steps please? when I share from Flickr, the images don't look as good as they do on Flickr...

Apr 13, 2014 at 06:13 PM
restinginlove

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Testpost from Flickr, no "downsizing PP"

On my vizio laptop, these look good to me.

Apr 13, 2014 at 06:56 PM
wfrank
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Testpost from Flickr, no "downsizing PP"

Mirek Elsner wrote:
Some pictures have the "blah blah blah by Wilhelm Frank, on Flickr" and some don't. Would you share the exact steps please? when I share from Flickr, the images don't look as good as they do on Flickr...

Flickr is really experimenting right now and making people crazy. But their original "link" looked like that and now (since a few days) it looks like that again when I share images from Flickr.

The interface may vary, but in essence look for the red/pinked marked symbol seen on this image. You should find it on the mid/upper right when looking on one of your own images, not below as seen here. Clicking it raises a popup similar to the one shown but probably black background (this is what theyre changing randomly right now). ANd do not expect to find "Grab the HTML/BB code"-text, look for a pin-symbol in the popup. There you can select size up to your original upload and some more or less random smaller versions. Just copy it and paste in your post.

Namnlös by Wilhelm Frank - Stockholm, on Flickr

Apr 14, 2014 at 02:15 PM
John Wheeler
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Testpost from Flickr, no "downsizing PP"

wfrank wrote:
Sry I maybe should have been clearer. I just switched from a PC with "normal" resolution (something like 120-130 dpi) to a MacBook 15 inch Retina which has super resolution (something like 230-240 dpi) that is very skilled in hiding over sharpening. I am a bit picky about downsizing and sharpening and I am trying to get a hang of the new screen.

The images look good on my older MacBook Pro with the standard resolution. There is a simple way that you can simulate this on your own machine if you have Photoshop or equivalent software that allows image resizing with "nearest neighbor" resampling.

Just take you own image (or the one delivered by Flickr), Resize by 200% in pixels using Nearest Neighbor resampling. The nearest neighbor resampling pretty much just duplicates the pixels without additional rendering. This will simulate 110 ppi rather than the 220 ppi on your 15 inch Retina MacBook Pro. The image is twice as big on the screen yet that is exactly what happens on the 110ppi monitors for the same image with the same pixels per edge.

Then you could evaluate without depending on subjective feedback from the Forum. Of course you would miss out on the nice complements on your images though

Not sure that meets "all" of your needs yet thought it was worth mentioning.

NOTE: Post corrected to take out comments on viewing distance.

Apr 15, 2014 at 09:06 AM
wfrank
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Testpost from Flickr, no "downsizing PP"

Thanks John. I think the hardware in a Mac Retina is doing some undisclosed things hard to replicate with a double per-pixel enlargement. Much like using Flickr downsizing btw :-)

If you visit a forum like FM, or anything else e.g. a newspaper, the hardware on a Mac Retina will enlarge the images and text. Otherwise everything would look half the size compared to say a PC with 100-130dpi. The images are treated in one way, and text in another way more connected to vector fonts. And to that one can add that if you are on a 15 inch Retina you will probably set the screen to something else than default. Which in essence, dpi wise, sets it to something like 170 dpi. But that's just numbers, not what's happening in "reality".

So what I am doing is fighting at least two layers of undisclosed approximations/optimizations of images so I might as well add a third: Flickr downsizing.

It was easier with a PC but this thread has taught me one or two things so thank you all for visiting and feedback.

A7 + Zeiss FE55/1.8

Apr 16, 2014 at 04:24 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.