Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Website Critique

bluerose311

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Website Critique

Hi, I am new to this forum and looking to get some thoughts on my current website, I am thinking about changing and upgrading. I want it to be better but would love some outside opinions on how I could improve the site. Thank you ! www.BlueRosePictures.com

Apr 09, 2014 at 04:57 PM
Nikon_14
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Website Critique

The URL is fabulous- easy to remember, won't be a hassle to spell over the phone. Grand slam, out of the park on that one.

Image quality is decent. But where's the blog?

Apr 10, 2014 at 08:12 AM
loosetrucks
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Website Critique

On my browser/monitor (Google Chrome/24") the award badges on the right can get in the way of viewing the photos.

Nikon_14 wrote:
The URL is fabulous- easy to remember, won't be a hassle to spell over the phone. Grand slam, out of the park on that one.

Image quality is decent. But where's the blog?

The blog is nested under the "information" menu. I would recommend making the blog part of the main navigation menu. You've got a lot of nice work on there, so it would be best to make it easier to find for the viewer

Apr 10, 2014 at 08:25 AM
jmraso
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Website Critique

I see some artifacts in some images viewing the site in an iPad.

Apr 10, 2014 at 08:40 AM
swoop
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Website Critique

Nikon_14 wrote:

It sounds too much like pleurosis pictures dot com.

Apr 10, 2014 at 08:49 AM
Nikon_14
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Website Critique

swoop wrote:
It sounds too much like pleurosis pictures dot com.

Only with a Staten Island accent. But with a Seattle accent- well, from the NW'ers I've met, it doesn't seem like there really is a NW accent, so...

Apr 10, 2014 at 10:17 AM
bluerose311

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Website Critique

ok thank you all for your feedback, I definitely don't want the badged interfering with viewing photos. I use livebooks so i have to contact and go through their web designers to change things, Ive been thinking about just using a different platform or hiring a designer to create a custom site.

Apr 10, 2014 at 12:01 PM
NYstyles
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Website Critique

Get a new platform/hire a designer. Both. That site is just bringing your work down.

The badges look cluttered and out of place. Im just personally not a fan of those badges on any sites home page think they should be on a raves type page or the about me. They just look cluttered... Less is more.

Too many pages in the navigation, that needs to be simplified.

It looks DIY, your site itself looks kind of looks like a 'Craigslist' photographer when you are clearly not by the work, badges, and price point. I hope Im not offending! Just how I see the site and its just not doing you justice at all.

I see your blog is Wordpress just convert over to a hosted Wordpress. You can import the blog to the new WP. Site and blog in one, dump the Livebooks. Amazing pro themes on themeforest.net.

When I do a WP site I teach my client how to use it once the content is done. There is no... I have to wait for the designer to make changes... Find a designer that will do this for you. The only thing they need me for after is maybe a question on optimizing SEO/using a feature in the theme. I go over SEO and such but its a lot to retain on our hands on walk through session! ha ha

Im sure someone can refer a designer for you here or research a local designer to you. You can check Etsy as well. A bunch of Wordpress designers there where you can read reviews. Many have their own sites they just list on Etsy too. Etsy is a HUGE built in traffic source so its good to list there... massive traffic! lol

Apr 11, 2014 at 06:01 AM
bluerose311

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Website Critique

@nystyles Thank you ! I do love my wordpress blog and theme, I am researching right now how to combine the blog with a website and get a hosted wordpress. I have my domaines and email through go daddy so i would probably use them ? Thanks for your critique !

Apr 11, 2014 at 10:51 AM
NYstyles
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Website Critique

bluerose311 wrote:
@nystyles Thank you ! I do love my wordpress blog and theme, I am researching right now how to combine the blog with a website and get a hosted wordpress. I have my domaines and email through go daddy so i would probably use them ? Thanks for your critique !

Yes, use their hosted Wordpress if are already there. Add it on to your current domain. You can import your current blog over. You might have to do some reformatting and such but it should import smoothly.

Look for a good responsive theme with support. Read reviews on the theme And read into the comments. (themeforest) Comments can be very telling about the themes actual support.

You're welcome. Good luck!

Apr 11, 2014 at 05:00 PM
bluerose311

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Website Critique

NYstyles wrote:
Yes, use their hosted Wordpress if are already there. Add it on to your current domain. You can import your current blog over. You might have to do some reformatting and such but it should import smoothly.

Look for a good responsive theme with support. Read reviews on the theme And read into the comments. (themeforest) Comments can be very telling about the themes actual support.

You're welcome. Good luck!

@nystyles I spent the last three days working on my wordpress website, i use a theme from folio websites. Check it out and let me know what you think I still need to re-write the about us (I am a horrible writer thats why I love photos so much lol) www.bluerosepictures.com

let me know what you think !

Apr 13, 2014 at 11:54 AM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.