Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Tips for shooting Hawaii portraits.....

amiletich

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Tips for shooting Hawaii portraits.....

Hi All,

I am planning a trip to Oahu this fall and thought I better start getting ready for some of the pictures I'd like to achieve. Typically I shoot mostly static cars at car shows and some on track. I would like to start taking more and more professional portrait/candid people type shots. I have very limited experience using an on camera flash.
I am currently using a Canon 5D Mk III with the 24-105 lens. I may try to invest in or rent either the 24-70/2.8 and/or 70-200/2.8.

I know I can't be Russell James or Walter Looss, but any tips or feedback on how to achieve great beach portraits? I would like to shoot my girlfriend, on the beach, playing in the shore etc. Not quite full modelesque poses laying on the beach, just natural and fun, walking along the shore, splashing water etc. I know some of these shots may be achievable in natural light depending on the time of day and conditions. I have read and watched many tutorials, where the photographer is using natural light and a reflector, but I won't have any assistants with me to help with something like this. If I use on camera flash, how close do I need to be? I would think using the far end of 200mm lens, the flash obviously won't help all that much depending on the distance of the subject.
Anyway, any feedback or guidance, tutorials, etc would be great and much appreciated. I am hoping I can practice a little in the months to come and try to perfect my skills a little before the trip.

Apr 09, 2014 at 04:36 PM
Steady Hand
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Tips for shooting Hawaii portraits.....

Howdy.

My Simple Suggestions for your situation (your Hawaii Beach Shoot with your GF):

1. Buy a very nice real flower lei for each of you.

2. Get a tan before you go.

3. Pick clothing that will look good in the scene/beach (I suggest you avoid white garments in this case).

4. Don't use flash. Take a medium sized tripod. Put the camera on the tripod about waist height (lower camera POV rather than higher POV).

5. Buy a remote release. Get in the pictures WITH her...get on the beach WITH her....play like kids WITH her....look at each other like you love one another and nothing else matters (especially some camera). It will be more fun for both of you that way.

6. Rather than buying expensive lenses and relying on artificial FLASH to make your shots (and I believe flash photos RARELY look natural).....just pay someone a few bucks to hold your reflector for you for a few minute work. I would rather pay someone $25- $50 to hold a piece of white foam board to get those shots using natural light rather than spending hundreds or $1,000+ on a lens and flash etc. Also, use a WHITE reflector if the sun is bright or you will blind your GF and she will soon tire of looking in your direction.

That is what I would do.

Apr 09, 2014 at 05:34 PM
jackhopkins
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Tips for shooting Hawaii portraits.....

I hope you realize the value of the advice Steadman gave you. This could be your best vacation ever, one in which you and your GF can each have some fun doing something together. I guarantee she'll enjoy looking at all the pictures even more because you are in them and it can become a great game just trying different things to produce the pictures in the first place. Good luck to both of you.

Apr 09, 2014 at 10:08 PM
amiletich

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Tips for shooting Hawaii portraits.....

Thanks for the tips. This would be fun to try. I guess I would have to use a time delay shutter if in the water. I suppose a remote release would work but may look awkward trying to hold in my hand while in the pictures, not to mention I don't think they are waterproof.

Any other tips for best time of day, techniques, etc? Appreciate the help!

Apr 09, 2014 at 10:21 PM
BigIronCruiser
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Tips for shooting Hawaii portraits.....

If you don't already have a reflector, look for a 4-in-1 (or similar) that can be used as a diffuser for those times when the sun is really harsh.

Apr 09, 2014 at 11:10 PM
Steady Hand
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Tips for shooting Hawaii portraits.....

You can get a low cost wireless remote that uses RF.

I have one that works at 100+ feet (about 300 as I recall).

Put the remote in a tiny ziploc. Simple, inexpensive. Put the camera on fast multiple frames shooting mode.

And don't worry about it in your hand. Put your arms around your girl and it won't show or be noticed.

Apr 09, 2014 at 11:20 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.