Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Portfolio Advice

mowensphotogra
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Portfolio Advice

I知 seeking some help from you guys! I値l be sending this to the school I just got accepted to. Pending their evaluation, I might be able to jump ahead a few classes and start this summer.

Let me know what you guys think if I should add or take away..

Apr 09, 2014 at 09:13 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Portfolio Advice

For me an image is a visual communication. So, as with any communication, it should have a message that you are trying to communicate to your viewer(s). The better you craft your message in a letter, book, poem, article, song, movie, etc. the greater the reception by your audience.

That being said, I'd look at your images and ask which of them present the stronger message(s) that are most clearly conveyable to your audience / viewer(s). As photographers, we often times get caught up in the "look what I did" ... and forget about the communicative reason for creating an image.

The communication can range widely, but the more clearly the message comes across ... those are the ones I go with. While it's easy to like a pic, it's also easy to forget one. Those that have clearer messages, tend to be remembered a bit longer.

Waxing a bit philosophical ... but, I'd be curious to see how you view your port submissions in that context. NOTE: it can be easy for us to read the message more readily, since we already know it. But, if you don't know your message for the image ... likely others won't be able to realize its conveyance either.

From that, my two fav's are:

Gold Label, where I'm diggin' the creativity of party colors coming out of the bottle to convey the message of a "good time"

Girls celebration ... the emotive jubilation is inescapable.

Third would be the header and the expressiveness of the athlete. Fourth @ the last soccer battle. Fifth (which could move up with a crop and better processing) would be the blocked shot at rejection.

If I was going to cull hard from these ... Gold Label and Jubilation only for me. A change in processing could make the diff on the coach and the cigar could be included as a still life, but I keep forgetting both of them as I scroll through.

GL, HTH

Apr 09, 2014 at 11:34 PM
sbeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Portfolio Advice

I think Kent's comments above are helpful in general. But, more specifically, what is the purpose of the selection of images you have made and are there suggested or required elements to demonstrate?
To me, the images vary from those with a clear, direct message, to those demonstrating various technical abilities re lighting, placement. Action shots vs studio set ups, advertising vs sports, documentary images (beach scene).
Can you clarify your goal(s)?
Scott

Apr 09, 2014 at 11:51 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Portfolio Advice

Cannot add anymore than what Scott and Kent have already said, other than #1 pales in comparison to the remainder.

Are you trying to show breadth of depth of skills? Studio versus on location? The landscape is by far the weakest - either pump up that genre or drop it. Might consider dropping the basketball group also.

All IMO,

Good luck, please let us know what you decide!

Bob

Apr 09, 2014 at 11:58 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Portfolio Advice

sbeme wrote:

+1

Apr 10, 2014 at 12:01 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

mowensphotogra
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Portfolio Advice

RustyBug wrote:
For me an image is a visual communication. So, as with any communication, it should have a message that you are trying to communicate to your viewer(s). The better you craft your message in a letter, book, poem, article, song, movie, etc. the greater the reception by your audience.

That being said, I'd look at your images and ask which of them present the stronger message(s) that are most clearly conveyable to your audience / viewer(s). As photographers, we often times get caught up in the "look what I did" ... and forget about the communicative reason for creating an image.

The
...Show more
Wow thank you for the detailed responses guys! =D

I should have clarified that yes, I am trying to provide a wide variety of photos for my school to have a look at so they can see the capabilities of my photography experience. Seeing that I致e taken photo1, photo 2, photojournalism, and studio classes already at my current school, this is not necessarily for my 菟ortfolio per say. More so a presentation of what I have done in those classes so that they can see that I know a bunch already. So in turn, I won稚 have to take certain classes that will be teaching stuff that I already know.

Edited on Apr 11, 2014 at 05:18 PM · View previous versions

Apr 11, 2014 at 05:17 PM
mowensphotogra
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Portfolio Advice

sbeme wrote:
I think Kent's comments above are helpful in general. But, more specifically, what is the purpose of the selection of images you have made and are there suggested or required elements to demonstrate?
To me, the images vary from those with a clear, direct message, to those demonstrating various technical abilities re lighting, placement. Action shots vs studio set ups, advertising vs sports, documentary images (beach scene).
Scott

mowensphotogra
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Portfolio Advice

Bob Jarman wrote:
Cannot add anymore than what Scott and Kent have already said, other than #1 pales in comparison to the remainder.

Are you trying to show breadth of depth of skills? Studio versus on location? The landscape is by far the weakest - either pump up that genre or drop it. Might consider dropping the basketball group also.

All IMO,

Good luck, please let us know what you decide!

Bob

mowensphotogra
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Portfolio Advice

RustyBug wrote:
+1

Apr 11, 2014 at 05:18 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password