New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · P&S camera

DaveOls
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · P&S camera

I didn't see a catagory that actually fits this question. I am looking at a couple of P&S cameras. They are the Sony RX 100, not the II, and the Canon G1X. They Sony has a 1 inch sensor and the Canon supposedly has a 1.5 inch sensor, yet the Sony somehow gets a better rating on DXO mark with a 66 to the Canon's 50 something. Is the Canon sensor actually smaller to get a lower mark or has the Sony pulled something magical out of it's hat to achieve this. I was looking at the Fuji X 20 that also scored lower than the Sony.

Apr 09, 2014 at 02:42 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · P&S camera

The G1X sensor is larger (18.7mm x 14mm) than the RX100 (13.2mm x 8.8mm). The X20 is smaller (8.8mm x 6.6mm).

I don't know much about DXO marks, but I do know that image quality is often not proportional to sensor size.

P.S. the RX100 is a great little camera.

Apr 09, 2014 at 04:11 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · P&S camera

And I'll weigh in with support for the G1X -- it's got great picture quality, similar to Canon's APS-C cameras, and really good high ISO. I like the controls too.

Hard to go wrong with either that or RX100.

Edited on Apr 10, 2014 at 08:48 AM · View previous versions

Apr 10, 2014 at 12:27 AM
millsart
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · P&S camera

If you want a true pocket sized P&S, RX100 is tough to beat for the combo of size/versatility/IQ

Apr 10, 2014 at 05:27 AM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · P&S camera

It's because of exmor sensor technology. Works very well on small sensors.

Apr 10, 2014 at 06:06 AM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · P&S camera

I bought a high end compact once, it was a good camera, fast lens, good sensor, great screen, worked well. I used it for a while... but it never inspires you to use it. They don't function like a "regular" camera would, and eventually it fell out of use completely. I ended up picking up my old 35mm fixed-lens RF and using that for a while, which was always an absolute joy to use.

Assuming the camera is for you, I would maybe go with something like an X100S, and a nice strap. Something that size-weight, you don't feel it on your at all if the strap is good. I keep my strap quite short so it doesn't Bob around, and even wear it like a sling sometimes (under right arm).

Not very helpful, I know, just sharing ;o)

Apr 10, 2014 at 06:10 AM
PhilDrinkwater
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · P&S camera

DXO overall ratings is pretty much irrelevant. The way they combine the figures is worse than useless. Look at the individual graphs, like the dynamic range ones, to see how sensors actually perform in the conditions you need.

I think the rx100 is a fantastic camera though. I have one and I love it!

Here's some of my shots with it:

http://www.phildweddingphotography.co.uk/2013/11/marrakech-colour/

Apr 10, 2014 at 07:01 AM
Beni
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · P&S camera

Very nice work Phil, colour looks very Kodaky neg film to me for some reason. That sensor does nice things, certainly not the flat look you would assume from a P&S.

Apr 10, 2014 at 07:46 AM
mMontag
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · P&S camera

The advantage of the RX-100 - compact & actually "pocketable" very responsive with great IQ. Fantastic little camera - highly recommended.

The advantage of the GX1 - ?? I can't think of one - a large P&S?
BTW - word on the street is that it has S-L-O-W and inaccurate focusing with a very long MFD.

If that size work for you, take a look at the Sony Nex6 or at least the second version of the GX1 II.

Apr 10, 2014 at 11:46 AM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · P&S camera

The GM-1 + Panasonic 12-32 is also very small although still not RX100 sized.

Apr 10, 2014 at 11:55 AM
mspencer1
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · P&S camera

The RX100 is a great little camera with great IQ and is truly pocketable.

Apr 10, 2014 at 05:08 PM
CalW
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · P&S camera

I really can't think of my RS100 as a "point-n-shoot" 'cause it doesn't take "point-n-shoot" photographs. But really, it's probably less fair to call a camera a "point-n-shoot" than it is to call a photographer a "point-n-shoot." There are plenty of RX100 owners out there proving daily that their camera is no "point-n-shoot" and also plenty of Leica owners out there proving that their camera is a "point-n-shoot." They are the ones who say that their next camera will be a "Hasselbad."

Apr 10, 2014 at 06:07 PM
millsart
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · P&S camera

ricardovaste wrote:
I bought a high end compact once, it was a good camera, fast lens, good sensor, great screen, worked well. I used it for a while... but it never inspires you to use it. They don't function like a "regular" camera would, and eventually it fell out of use completely. I ended up picking up my old 35mm fixed-lens RF and using that for a while, which was always an absolute joy to use.

Assuming the camera is for you, I would maybe go with something like an X100S, and a nice strap. Something that size-weight, you don't feel it on
...Show more

It would be a total mistake to think you could replace a "regular" camera with something like a RX100, at least for an enthusiast. Many could easily replace their entry level DSLR with a RX100 or even an iPhone and be happy.

The point, IMHO, of the RX100 is that it packs a lot of "regular" camera features into a pocket, so you can always have a pretty decent camera with you.

There are no shortage of pocketable compacts, some downright tiny like the Canon Elf series, but, they offer no control, they don't shoot raw, they have a tiny, tiny sensor.

RX100 gives full manual control, manual focus even. For me that means its a nice tool for pano's. Its 1" sensor and f1.8 lens can give some subject isoltation. Not a ton, but far more than most compacts and akin to m4/3 with a kit zoom. You've got RAW mode, 20 meg resolution, with the RX100 mkII wifi, and the ability to add on a very nice EVF.

It does quite a bit for something that fits into a pocket.

Weill it inspire you to shoot ? Probably not, but having owned the RX1, X100s, various m4/3 cameras, which often are inspiring, they also often get left at home simply because unless its winter I don't have a pocket for them.

I don't really want a $1300-2800 X100s or RX1 banging around my neck all night, nor would I want a camera bag to keep track of, when going out for a night on the town, hitting a few bars etc.

RX100 I can slip into my jeans pocket, I can slip into my suit pants pocket etc and have a pretty capable camera with me when want it, and more importantly, slip it back into my pocket when I don't.

iPhones work well for social snaps, but sometimes you want/need a flash, and some decent high ISO ability, etc

Apr 10, 2014 at 06:25 PM
CalW
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · P&S camera

+1 What millsart said... The RX100 is an unobtrusive dinner guest...

Apr 10, 2014 at 06:58 PM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · P&S camera

millsart wrote:
It would be a total mistake to think you could replace a "regular" camera with something like a RX100, at least for an enthusiast.

That isn't what I was suggesting, but yes I agree. My point is that it's so removed from a "regular" camera, and inhibiting, that it just doesn't want to be used. I pick up something a little bigger that I can still easily carry around with me all day (or all week) and everything is way easier, it's just like using a normal camera. But without the weight or bulk.

millsart wrote:
Weill it inspire you to shoot ? Probably not, but having owned the RX1, X100s, various m4/3 cameras, which often are inspiring, they also often get left at home simply because unless its winter I don't have a pocket for them.

I don't really want a $1300-2800 X100s or RX1 banging around my neck all night, nor would I want a camera bag to keep track of, when going out for a night on the town, hitting a few bars etc.

Perhaps we are just taking completely different types of photos. If I was out with some friends for the evening, no, I wouldn't want any camera with me at all, that's not my objective. Plus, someone will have a camera if they desperately want an image.

If I am out with my partner for a drink in the evening, some food, entertainment etc. I have no problem taking my camera with me (eg fixed lens RF or RX1 type), but I wouldn't take a "compact camera" with me (I understand the RX1 is in this category, but I'm sure you know what I mean). I'd have that camera with me all through the day as well, no issue. Doesn't bang around my neck, as I wouldn't be running, and I have my camera strap setup right for myself.

millsart wrote:
RX100 I can slip into my jeans pocket, I can slip into my suit pants pocket etc and have a pretty capable camera with me when want it, and more importantly, slip it back into my pocket when I don't.

iPhones work well for social snaps, but sometimes you want/need a flash, and some decent high ISO ability, etc

If for upload-to-web social snaps, I would just use a phone which I'd have on me anyway. But, again, I wouldn't be taking the photo anyway.

If you use a compact and it works for you, then wonderful. But I tried it, and it's not for me , so I just wanted to share that.

Apr 17, 2014 at 09:06 AM
Kell
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · P&S camera

I've had my RX100 since they first came out...it's a keeper..now that it's motorcycle riding season I take it everywhere and there's really little compromise with it..size matters

Apr 17, 2014 at 09:32 AM
DaveOls
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · P&S camera

I already have a Nikon D 300s that I normally use, but sometimes you just don't want to carry that around with you.
The best camera is the one you have with you after all.

Apr 18, 2014 at 09:17 AM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · P&S camera

DaveOls wrote:
I already have a Nikon D 300s that I normally use, but sometimes you just don't want to carry that around with you.
The best camera is the one you have with you after all.

Of course, I wouldn't (and don't like) carrying an SLR around with me all day either

Apr 19, 2014 at 03:00 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.