New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Portable canon battery charging

FarmerJohn
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Portable canon battery charging

Does anyone know if there are aftermarket chargers for Canon batteries that support charging via USB? Looking at gearing up for some week-long camping trips this summer. Thinking of getting a solar charger to recharge my Camelbak SteriPen water purifier and various other things. Wondering if there's a USB charger for Canon batteries? My current camera is the 5D classic.

Apr 09, 2014 at 02:32 PM
wordfool
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Portable canon battery charging

I've come across a bunch of third party chargers over the years, both USB and DC (car charger). How good, compatible or reliable they are I've no idea. this might be useful:

https://www.modernoutpost.com/gear/app_camera_Canon_bp-511_battery.html

Apr 09, 2014 at 02:44 PM
krementz
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Portable canon battery charging

FJ, a word of warning. Most little solar chargers are grossly misrepresented to the amount of power they can produce. Several times when I calculated the power output, I would be much better by bringing many more batteries, or that the solar device would not effectively do anything.

"More batteries" in the sense than a whole lotta batteries would be much less weight, more power, more reliable, and cheaper that a portable solar charger. No point in dragging a 5 lb charger into the woods which won't work on rainy days when 2 pounds of batteries would do the job more reliably.

A nominal 10 watt solar system might put out 5 watts on a very sunny day for six hours, under perfect conditions in the South West in the summer if the charger is always facing south. Consumer-grade chargers are often only 50% efficient. Get away from the solstice, or away from sunless skies energy production will drop a lot - regardless of how hot it is. Of course zero watts are produced on rainy days or when it is in your backpack (hiking).

Apr 09, 2014 at 04:35 PM
pKai
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Portable canon battery charging

Assuming a week equals 7 days then buy 7 batteries. With this you have 1,000 shots a day or thereabouts. Get Adorama brand if you can't afford or just don't want to spend money on Canons. The charge rate required for a BP511 would tax most USB port.

Another option: Assuming you're staying put somewhere as opposed to hiking around camping in a different spot every night -- you might think this is crazy, but rather than some wonky solar charger, in such a situation a spare car battery works well. This is what I do. Yes, it weights 20 pounds, but you can run your laptop forever and charge many camera batteries.

Apr 09, 2014 at 10:04 PM
FarmerJohn
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Portable canon battery charging

Thanks for the ideas guys. Probably I'll just buy some more batteries.

Pipspeak, that's definitely a convoluted setup... maybe more complicated than I want to carry around.

pKai, normally I'm camping/hiking in a different spot on these trips.

Apr 10, 2014 at 01:30 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Portable canon battery charging

yeah take more batteries .
if you have access to 12v port then you can get travel chargers . canon do one (which is over priced) but there are 3rd party options from the likes of Belkin etc

Apr 10, 2014 at 01:40 AM
bogeybrown

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Portable canon battery charging

If you load up on aftermarket batteries, just verify they'll work with your Canon charger. I just bought some afermarket batts for my 5Dmkii and the Canon factory charger doesn't want anything to do with them. I ended up biting the bullet and getting the OEM Canons from B&H (ouch).

Apr 10, 2014 at 03:15 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Portable canon battery charging

bogeybrown wrote:
If you load up on aftermarket batteries, just verify they'll work with your Canon charger. I just bought some afermarket batts for my 5Dmkii and the Canon factory charger doesn't want anything to do with them. I ended up biting the bullet and getting the OEM Canons from B&H (ouch).

The OP has a mk1 5D which takes bp511a . These are not chipped like the later batteries for the 5D2 . So it won't be an issue .

The general consensus used to be that the best option for 3RD party 511's was STERLINGTECH

Apr 10, 2014 at 05:16 AM
bogeypro
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Portable canon battery charging

I picked up 2 Wasabi LP-E6 batteries plus Wasabi charger from amazon for $30 and the charger also included a cable to use the charger in your car. I haven't used the charger in-car but nice to have it available in a pinch.

Apr 10, 2014 at 07:26 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.