Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Steve Tinetti, Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Who referred you. Does it matter?

SGallant
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Who referred you. Does it matter?

So I had a referral come to me. And when I asked who sent the couple to me, the bride didn't know as it was parents her fiance knew. She then asked, does it matter? My response to that was, yes, because I want to thank them.

Does it matter to you?

Apr 09, 2014 at 03:08 PM
bryanlindsey
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Who referred you. Does it matter?

Of course!

Put your marketing hat on. Ideally you want to know where EVERY inquiry, booking, and pageview comes from.

Apr 09, 2014 at 03:17 PM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Who referred you. Does it matter?

Does it matter? Is that a real question?

1) Yes, of course it matters to thank people and understand where your business is coming from. Pretty fundamental.

2) It depends upon what stage you're at - if they're trying to book you and you're nagging them about referrals it might be unwise use of their time and your effort. It depends.

Apr 09, 2014 at 03:22 PM
jmraso
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Who referred you. Does it matter?

It matters not only to thank them but because info is power !!!

Apr 09, 2014 at 03:37 PM
Prettym1k3
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Who referred you. Does it matter?

Absolutely this matters. In fact, I've built huge friendships off of things like referrals. Referring people to photographers I trust reflects back on me, and makes me look good, even if I'm already booked. And same for them.

But also, I just want to thank them. Building that relationship with other photographers is something I enjoy, and has worked out well for me with respect to my business.

Apr 09, 2014 at 05:52 PM
SGallant
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Who referred you. Does it matter?

I agree with everything that has been said. When she asked the question, I was kind of thrown off balance that it would be asked. So I was curious if anyone would actually not care. So far that is a consistent. No.

Apr 09, 2014 at 06:04 PM
joelconner
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Who referred you. Does it matter?

definitely matters to me.

Apr 09, 2014 at 06:22 PM
Ziffl3
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Who referred you. Does it matter?

I could see where somebody might not understand where you are coming from...

The perspective client is thinking; "Hey, I am here asking about your services, and now you are questioning where it came from?" .... "Am I not worthy? or you should be thanking me for inquiring."

For me ... it matters. Vender relationship is golden.

Apr 09, 2014 at 06:34 PM
Inku Yo
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Who referred you. Does it matter?

No, it doesn't matter. It's nice to know. If they don't know, doesn't matter.

Apr 09, 2014 at 07:17 PM
TRReichman
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Who referred you. Does it matter?

I like to know for 2 reasons. First, it helps in expectation management if I know who they were referred from so I know what they might be interested in. Second it is nice to know who believes in you and who is referring you. At this point in my business I always know where every referral is coming from and it helps greatly in managing relationships.

- trr

Apr 09, 2014 at 07:25 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Jamesbjenkins
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Who referred you. Does it matter?

It definitely matters for your own marketing and management purposes, if nothing else.

Judging the ROI of your various external marketing activities is a critical part of creating sustained success...

Congrats on the referral!

Apr 10, 2014 at 11:54 AM
SGallant
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Who referred you. Does it matter?

Jamesbjenkins wrote:
Congrats on the referral!

Thank You.

Don't think any points that are important to me have been missed. I mainly want to know who is supporting me, and if they are a repeat supporter. I have had clients send me multiple referrals in just a few months. At a minimum I want to thank them every time and show my appreciation. If they are doing that much I also give them a large print or something to say thank you. It doesn't cost me much, but means a lot to them.

Apr 10, 2014 at 03:22 PM
TheGE
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Who referred you. Does it matter?

Yes it most absolutely matters and it matters for the very reason you mentioned.

To thank them.

People like to be thanked in return for thinking of you.

For example, I've referred weddings to some photographers on this forum and never got so much as a quick little thank you email from them.

So I never referred them again.

Apr 10, 2014 at 06:11 PM
SGallant
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Who referred you. Does it matter?

TheGE wrote:
Yes it most absolutely matters and it matters for the very reason you mentioned.

To thank them.

People like to be thanked in return for thinking of you.

For example, I've referred weddings to some photographers on this forum and never got so much as a quick little thank you email from them.

So I never referred them again.

Wow. That's unreal, you sent people referrals and not even a thank you...

Apr 11, 2014 at 01:04 PM
jmraso
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Who referred you. Does it matter?

SGallant wrote:
Wow. That's unreal, you sent people referrals and not even a thank you...

Not so unreal, last year I sent a job to a pro, then I sent him a second one, this in a short period of time, then one day I came across this guy on the street and asked him, he got both jobs but never thanked me, needless to say I wont send him another one and I will have many to send.

I myself not only thank on the phone mates who refer me which is a nice chance to talk to them and exchange impresions but also give them a bottle of nice wine or scottish whisky at xmas time, I take it to their studios in person, some times I am lucky and we open the bottles for a drink !!!

Apr 11, 2014 at 01:36 PM
SGallant
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Who referred you. Does it matter?

jmraso wrote:
Not so unreal, last year I sent a job to a pro, then I sent him a second one, this in a short period of time, then one day I came across this guy on the street and asked him, he got both jobs but never thanked me, needless to say I wont send him another one and I will have many to send.

I myself not only thank on the phone mates who refer me which is a nice chance to talk to them and exchange impresions but also give them a bottle of nice wine or scottish whisky at
...Show more
Yeah sadly not unreal. Just a total lack of basic manners. So I guess there are people that do sit on the other side of the fence.

Apr 11, 2014 at 01:47 PM
sherijohnson
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Who referred you. Does it matter?

it absolutely matters, last year we had one client that was referred to us by 3 different people, it was crazy because they were all saying we referred someone to you... then we figured out it was one client, of course that made quite the impression on them that we were a good choice

Apr 11, 2014 at 07:50 PM
SGallant
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Who referred you. Does it matter?

sherijohnson wrote:
it absolutely matters, last year we had one client that was referred to us by 3 different people, it was crazy because they were all saying we referred someone to you... then we figured out it was one client, of course that made quite the impression on them that we were a good choice

Wow that's pretty crazy. And yeah I bet it built confidence in you

I had one recently where the the bride was referred to me by another. And then I found out that she had hired one of my brides from last year so she knew my work from her too and then called her for a reference.

Apr 12, 2014 at 04:53 PM
xanthamn

p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Who referred you. Does it matter?

I agree with what most of you are saying. To the photog it should matter greatly.

To the client, I could see it going both ways.
1) Is using the referral like name dropping and is expecting better service.
2) Thins you won't treat them as well because of their referrer.

However, I do think that it is worth letting every client know that they are important to you and you'll do your very best for them, regardless of who referred them.

Apr 12, 2014 at 05:04 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password