Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

New Lightmeter - L758/558 or L478D?

miccullen
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · New Lightmeter - L758/558 or L478D?

I'm buying a new light meter, as my Gossen Digisky is being sold along with my Elinchrom kit.

Yes, I do wish I'd never sold my L358 to get the Gossen...

However, what's done is done, so time for a new one. I shoot (or will be) mostly portraits, events, etc.. This will be both in the studio and outdoors.

I don't have PWs, and won't be buying them, so the 478DR isn't any use. (Probably going to be using JinBei lights.)

So I'm not sure which way to jump here - a used 758 (spotmeter, etc.) or the new 478D.

How's the 478D screen outdoors? The Gossen sucks outside.

Any other pertinent observations? Thanks.

Edited on Apr 13, 2014 at 12:50 AM · View previous versions

Apr 09, 2014 at 04:44 AM
Strobo
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · New Lightmeter - L758/558 or L478D?

miccullen wrote:
I'm buying a new light meter, as my Gossen Digisky is being sold along with my Elinchrom kit.

Yes, I do wish I'd never sold my L358 to get the Gossen...

However, what's done is done, so time for a new one. I shoot (or will be) mostly portraits, events, etc.. This will be both in the studio and outdoors.

I don't have PWs, and won't be buying them, so the 478DR isn't any use. (Probably going to be using JinBei lights.)

So I'm not sure which way to jump here - a used 758 (spotmeter, etc.) or the new 758D.

How's the 478D screen
...Show more

The 478D/R battery life is horrendous, measured in hours, not days or weeks. The touchscreen is resistive rather capacitive like on most smartphones, meaning it requires a firm press rather than a light touch. It also requires a few seconds to boot up, which can be a bit of an annoyance at times. The screen legibility outdoors isn't as good as the LCD screen on the 758, but it's quite usable unless you're out in direct sunlight.

On the plus side, the meter is very accurate, and you can create calibration profiles for different lenses (which can vary in transmission). It offers a lot of customization options, and you can do everything with one hand, unlike the L358 and others where you often need to hold down a button while turning the dial.

Bottom line is you really need to try one before making up your mind. Personally, if I didn't need the PW adjustment capability I'd be looking at something else.

Apr 10, 2014 at 04:23 PM
Sheldon N
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · New Lightmeter - L758/558 or L478D?

miccullen wrote:
Yes, I do wish I'd never sold my L358

Isn't that your answer, then?

Apr 10, 2014 at 09:39 PM
miccullen
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · New Lightmeter - L758/558 or L478D?

Strobo wrote:
The 478D/R battery life is horrendous, measured in hours, not days or weeks. The touchscreen is resistive rather capacitive like on most smartphones, meaning it requires a firm press rather than a light touch. It also requires a few seconds to boot up, which can be a bit of an annoyance at times. The screen legibility outdoors isn't as good as the LCD screen on the 758, but it's quite usable unless you're out in direct sunlight.

Hmmm, none of those things are good.

On the plus side, the meter is very accurate, and you can create calibration profiles for different lenses (which can vary in transmission). It offers a lot of customization options, and you can do everything with one hand, unlike the L358 and others where you often need to hold down a button while turning the dial.

Do you have to buy anything special to create the profiles?

Bottom line is you really need to try one before making up your mind. Personally, if I didn't need the PW adjustment capability I'd be looking at something else.

Yeah, I'll get hands on soon, I hope, but other experiences are valuable, as 15 minutes doesn't really let you explore things too indepth. Thanks for that.

Edited on Apr 11, 2014 at 01:58 AM · View previous versions

Apr 11, 2014 at 01:49 AM
miccullen
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · New Lightmeter - L758/558 or L478D?

Sheldon N wrote:
Isn't that your answer, then?

it's AN answer :-)

Apr 11, 2014 at 01:49 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password