Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Zion N.P. Last Week (+ Update Note)

Chaz
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Zion N.P. Last Week (+ Update Note)

Last week I visited Zion for only the second time (the first time was Fall 2007) so I was not familiar with water level conditions at this time of year.

Here is a shot from the footbridge at the start of the Emerald Pools trail.

My impression is that, like the Merced River in Yosemite, the current drought has produced water levels well below normal.

Question For Those Familiar With the Location:

Should I expect water in this scene to be close to the high level line along the bank in a normal rain year? If yes, I will plan another visit when conditions improve, perhaps next season.

So, I was disappointed with water conditions but enjoyed the remarkable beauty of Zion and all the Spring green never-the-less.

Zion In Spring

Edited on Apr 09, 2014 at 12:10 AM · View previous versions

Apr 08, 2014 at 11:29 PM
stanparker
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Zion N.P. Last Week (+ Update Note)

I'm no expert, but levels vary a lot by year and within the season even. It depends on how much snow there was and how early the melt started. So, it's hard to plan too far in advance. Your news is actually good for me. I will be there in several weeks, hoping to hike The Narrows. I was concerned that water level may be too high.

BTW, good shot.

Apr 08, 2014 at 11:45 PM
NCAndy
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Zion N.P. Last Week (+ Update Note)

Well I think it is highly variable from year to year. I've been there twice in April. Once the river was high and brown, with kayakers running through the rapids and the waterfalls were flowing off the walls with good volume. The next time I went the river was clear and low and there were no waterfalls. So each year will be different.

Apr 08, 2014 at 11:46 PM
Ben Horne
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Zion N.P. Last Week (+ Update Note)

Though the river level can certainly be higher during the spring on years with a lot of precipitation, this is pretty much the normal look of the Virgin River. It looks like this during the fall as well. When there is a lot of spring run off, the water will also get quite murky which isn't as photogenic.

Apr 08, 2014 at 11:54 PM
Chaz
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Zion N.P. Last Week (+ Update Note)

Ben, NCAndy and Stan - Thanks, all, for your information as to what to expect. Appreciated.

Also, Stan - here is snapshot of water conditions at the Temple of Sinawava ingress to The Narrows as of Saturday, April 6th.

Water Level at The Narrows 4-6-14

Apr 09, 2014 at 12:09 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Zion N.P. Last Week (+ Update Note)

A nice spring time shot there. I like it. And it's nice to see the update on the Narrows. I am also hoping to visit there in another month once the tree's in the Narrows gets some green leaves on them.

Jim

Apr 09, 2014 at 03:46 AM
stanparker
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Zion N.P. Last Week (+ Update Note)

Thanks, Chaz. The level looks similar to other times when I've hiked upstream, so it should work well for me.

Apr 09, 2014 at 07:21 AM
teked
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Zion N.P. Last Week (+ Update Note)

Beautifully done, Chaz. The lighting is exquisite.

Ed

Apr 09, 2014 at 07:41 AM
colorado_photo

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Zion N.P. Last Week (+ Update Note)

Super, great lighting

Apr 09, 2014 at 09:25 AM
Chaz
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Zion N.P. Last Week (+ Update Note)

Jim - Thanks for the kind comment. Hope you have a good hike with favorable light and photo ops.

Ed and colorado - Thanks as well for the kind comments. Glad you enjoyed. And thank Mother Nature for the light.

Apr 09, 2014 at 09:57 PM
tfish

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Zion N.P. Last Week (+ Update Note)

I think that this is a wonderful image. Personally I like the low water. It illustrates the harshness and inconsistency of the landscape, while the green foliage emphasizes the life giving potential the river provides. I wouldn't change it at all.
TF

Apr 09, 2014 at 10:30 PM
WakeTurbulence
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Zion N.P. Last Week (+ Update Note)

Nice shot, and thanks for the Narrows update as well. I'll be looking to hike The Narrows in mid May and I have been wondering if it was going to be possible.

You can always check the water flow here:
http://waterdata.usgs.gov/usa/nwis/uv?site_no=09405500

Seeing how low it is now (60 cubic feet per sec), and how warm and dry it has been in the west, I don't see the water flow going up at all in the coming months. Just for reference, I hiked in Nov 2011 where water was chest high in areas, and the flow was around 100cf/s.
-Matt

Apr 10, 2014 at 09:32 AM
Ben Horne
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Zion N.P. Last Week (+ Update Note)

WakeTurbulence wrote:
Nice shot, and thanks for the Narrows update as well. I'll be looking to hike The Narrows in mid May and I have been wondering if it was going to be possible.

You can always check the water flow here:
http://waterdata.usgs.gov/usa/nwis/uv?site_no=09405500

Seeing how low it is now (60 cubic feet per sec), and how warm and dry it has been in the west, I don't see the water flow going up at all in the coming months. Just for reference, I hiked in Nov 2011 where water was chest high in areas, and the flow was around 100cf/s.
-Matt

In this situation, the depth of the water has very little to do with the flow. The reason it was chest deep in areas really has more to do with the lack of sand in the narrows during some years. Back in 2011, a lot of sand was washed out, so there were some deep areas of slow moving water. In recent years, sand has returned and now those same areas are only shin deep. There has been a lot of sand back in there for the past few years now.

I've been in the canyon with everything from maybe 50cf/s to around 110cf/s. During those times, the high water mark has remained about the same, but the current certainly kicks up at 110, and the water gets more a lot more murky. It wasn't fun at 110, and I can certainly see why they close the narrows when the flow is only a bit higher than that.

The last time I was there was in January, and there was still a lot of sand back in there. I believe the change occurs during flash flood season. The sand is either flushed out, or replenished -- depending on the sediment content of the water that creates the flood.

Apr 10, 2014 at 09:54 AM
Alan Brock
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Zion N.P. Last Week (+ Update Note)

It still blows my mind that The Narrows can be hiked at 100 cf/s. I tried it (when it was 100cf/s) in the fall and was completely shut down at a right turning bend that was not that far into the hike. I was carrying a lot of gear so I was being cautious, but even if I hadn't been, there was absolutely no way that I could continue. The entire time it was miserable too. Hats off to those that have done it though. I'm 6'4" and in good shape so I figured I would be able to, but could not make it very far.

As far as the shot goes, very pleasing colors and composition. It's nice to see Zion this time of year with everything new and green. Well done.

Apr 10, 2014 at 10:26 AM
Chaz
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Zion N.P. Last Week (+ Update Note)

tfish, Waketurbulence, Alan Brock - Thanks for your comments and info. Appreciated.

Apr 11, 2014 at 01:46 AM
ntaylo01

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Zion N.P. Last Week (+ Update Note)

I love how other worldly the first image is

Apr 16, 2014 at 12:24 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.