Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2014 · Would you edit during the reception?

NathanHamler
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Would you edit during the reception?

Assuming you're shooting by yourself, Would you ever begin editing/culling during the reception, while guests are dancing/drinking/partying?? PERSONALLY I would never want a client or guest to look around and be like "where the hell is the photographer??" while I'm off editing somewhere....or, a guest walk by, see me NOT shooting, and then later, when some huge part of the reception was missed (or even some minuscule detail), they think "well that guy sucked" and tell all their friends....

I think every wedding a guest says to me "man you worked your ass off today!! You were everywhere!"

I know some people "stop shooting" when the dancing starts....Just wondering your thoughts...no right or wrong answer, btw...

Apr 08, 2014 at 07:36 PM
24-70

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Would you edit during the reception?

I am on your side. Perception is everything. The sure way to upset a client is to be AWOL.

Apr 08, 2014 at 07:49 PM
dhp_sf
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Would you edit during the reception?

Nope.

I also really don't think people consciously look for the photographer either--especially by the time the dancing/partying starts because they've been drinking and they're too busy, well, dancing and partying.

Apr 08, 2014 at 07:50 PM
SloPhoto
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Would you edit during the reception?

wait, why?

are you that crunched for time? I could understand taking a second to get some fresh air or get some water, but edit?

Apr 08, 2014 at 07:58 PM
DannyBostwick
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Would you edit during the reception?

Nothing is a bigger buzz kill to me than the thought of editing a few thousand photos. So, as I am starting to get to my reserve energy tank, getting annoyed by the drunks, the last thing I'd ever consider doing is editing lol.

Apr 08, 2014 at 08:14 PM
lilyphoto
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Would you edit during the reception?

I do not and wouldn't ever edit during the reception. However, me and my second take "shifts" once we get to the open dance floor portion of the night. I'll go sit down for 20 min, then come back and she'll go sit down (hidden from guests) somewhere for 20 minutes. We make sure we're both present for things such as bouquet/garter toss, etc.

Apr 08, 2014 at 08:18 PM
popinvasion
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Would you edit during the reception?

I may delete some really off shots but edit noway.

Apr 08, 2014 at 08:39 PM
Phyl
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Would you edit during the reception?

I've done second card culling during the cocktail hour so that I can do a slide show at the reception on a big flat screen with the images up through that point in the day. Not during the reception while the guests are in the room.

Apr 08, 2014 at 08:51 PM
Jamesbjenkins
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Would you edit during the reception?

I've literally never heard of, thought of or seen such a thing.

Editing during reception? Insanity.

Apr 08, 2014 at 09:11 PM
Cbe513

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Would you edit during the reception?

nope

Apr 08, 2014 at 09:48 PM
Inku Yo
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Would you edit during the reception?

popinvasion wrote:
I may delete some really off shots but edit noway.

You shouldn't delete in camera. Increases the chances of corrupting your card. Also, an image will look completely different on your large monitor than on your small camera screen.

To answer the OP, no I would not edit during the reception or anywhere besides on my home computer.

Apr 08, 2014 at 10:48 PM
NathanHamler
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Would you edit during the reception?

Thanks for all the replies...the question originated after a conversation i may, or may not have had with a fellow shooter about this topic...personally i dont see getting a large enough jump on culling by sneaking away to edit here and there throughout the reception, to make any kind of appreciable difference...that's aside from the obvious drawbacks already mentioned...

Apr 08, 2014 at 10:49 PM
NathanHamler
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Would you edit during the reception?

Inku, i too never delete in camera...i made the mistake at a wedding early on of deleting, then shooting, then deleting, then shooting, etc...ended up with a bunch of corrupted images....I've never deleted an image since.

Apr 08, 2014 at 10:51 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Would you edit during the reception?

lilyphoto wrote:
me and my second take "shifts" once we get to the open dance floor portion of the night. I'll go sit down for 20 min, then come back and she'll go sit down (hidden from guests) somewhere for 20 minutes

I've done similar and one time got trashed by a bride for doing it! Only difference from you is I didn't sit down hidden from guests. It was a dark reception. I just sat at one of the tables.

You don't need two photographers standing around the dance floor for hours on end shooting the same ten people dancing. So me and the second took turns. Everything else at the reception had been covered.

Apr 08, 2014 at 10:57 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Would you edit during the reception?

Inku Yo wrote:
You shouldn't delete in camera.

Agreed. I never delete in camera.

Apr 08, 2014 at 10:59 PM
Aldo2014

[X]
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Would you edit during the reception?

Same here, never delete in camera

Apr 09, 2014 at 02:26 AM
jmraso
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Would you edit during the reception?

I would even pre-design the album and to show the B&G😄 !!!

Seriouly, I would never do anything but taking care of the event with the camera in my hands and walking around or standing somewhere if the moment requires me to be so !!

Ohh, deleting photos on camera regardless you can see they are not keepers just scares the shit out of me !!!

Jaime

Apr 09, 2014 at 06:14 AM
aonavy
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Would you edit during the reception?

sure hope you don't format the card by mistake while culling through the photos.

Apr 09, 2014 at 08:10 AM
Jeff Simpson
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Would you edit during the reception?

interesting tidbit about not deleting in camera. I assume that if you write simultaneously to two separate cards (ie. SD and CF) that deleting in camera would be OK?

Apr 09, 2014 at 10:38 AM
jmraso
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Would you edit during the reception?

Unless a software error formats both cards !!!
Better not to mess around IMO😊

Jeff Simpson wrote:
interesting tidbit about not deleting in camera. I assume that if you write simultaneously to two separate cards (ie. SD and CF) that deleting in camera would be OK?

Apr 09, 2014 at 10:40 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.