Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Samyang/Bower 14mm f/2.8 Ultra Wide-Angle for $299

Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Samyang/Bower 14mm f/2.8 Ultra Wide-Angle for $299

Samyang/Bower 14mm f/2.8 Ultra Wide-Angle for $299
B&H Photo has lowered the price of the Samyang/Bower 14mm f/2.8 Ultra Wide-Angle Lens (all mounts) to $299.00 with free shipping.

Regular price: $379.00.

Bower 14mm f/2.8 Ultra Wide-Angle Lens for $299

Apr 08, 2014 at 11:54 PM
dmccombs
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Samyang/Bower 14mm f/2.8 Ultra Wide-Angle for $299

I have heard the Bower, Samyang, and Rokinon lenses are the same. Do they al have the same multi coating, lens hood, and warrantee?

Are there any advantages or disadvantages to buying one of these brands over the other?

Apr 09, 2014 at 12:31 AM
dmccombs
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Samyang/Bower 14mm f/2.8 Ultra Wide-Angle for $299

In the Bower write up, it says it is Optimized for APS-C. The Rokinon write up says Also Conforms to APS-C.

Is this just BS marketing verbiage? I have a full frame camera, so the Bower write-up makes it sound less than optimal.

Apr 09, 2014 at 12:59 AM
krementz
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Samyang/Bower 14mm f/2.8 Ultra Wide-Angle for $299

They are all the same. I get great shots on my 6D.

Apr 09, 2014 at 01:28 AM
jim bennett
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Samyang/Bower 14mm f/2.8 Ultra Wide-Angle for $299

Is there any lens in the canon or nikon line up that even comes close to the value and quality ratio of this lens? Trying to decide if I should be looking at other lenses besides this one. These always seem to be quite highly regarded.

Apr 09, 2014 at 02:05 AM
IndyFab
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Samyang/Bower 14mm f/2.8 Ultra Wide-Angle for $299

I have the same question as dmccombs

There are two other brands Samyang/Rokinon are they the same as a Bower

Seems I read they are all manufactured in the same factory. However are there any differences between them.. FF vs Crop, Coatings, Warrantee's... etc ?

Apr 09, 2014 at 02:11 AM
dmccombs
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Samyang/Bower 14mm f/2.8 Ultra Wide-Angle for $299

On the B&H site, the Bower page says this about the lens

* Note: Though this lens will cover the imaging sensor of a full-frame DSLR, it is better optimized for use with DSLRs containing smaller APS-C format sensors. As such you might notice softer focus and some light fall-off towards the edges of the frame when using a full-frame DSLR. If you do plan on using this lens with a full-frame DSLR we recommend you set the lens no wider (faster) than f/8 for optimum image quality.

The Rokinon and Samyang pages seem to indicate this lens is fine on a full frame camera. This note on the Bower page is really odd if these lenses are really the same.

Apr 09, 2014 at 02:17 AM
bsteels
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Samyang/Bower 14mm f/2.8 Ultra Wide-Angle for $299

The lens gets great reviews for resolution on FF, but suffers from some vignetting wide open and also distortion that may not make it very good for certain applications like architecture.

http://www.photozone.de/canon_eos_ff/532-samyang14f28eosff

Apr 09, 2014 at 02:42 AM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Samyang/Bower 14mm f/2.8 Ultra Wide-Angle for $299

dmccombs wrote:
In the Bower write up, it says it is Optimized for APS-C. The Rokinon write up says Also Conforms to APS-C.

Is this just BS marketing verbiage? I have a full frame camera, so the Bower write-up makes it sound less than optimal.

No, they are all the same. I think that is just left-over whatever on the B&H site. Every time they have a sale those same lines of text come into question.

I have the Bower myself and use it on a 5D3. But the Samyag and ROkinon are the same exact lens.
It has a TON of distortion but is very sharp under most circumstance (fine branches against bright clouds can sometimes get low in microcontrast but otherwise it's mad sharp, like maybe sharper than most L, it's way sharper at the edges on FF than any 24-105L I ever tried.

Apr 09, 2014 at 04:50 AM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Samyang/Bower 14mm f/2.8 Ultra Wide-Angle for $299

5D3 full image - maybe f/5.6-f/9??

extreme corners are soft, everything is pretty darn sharp

Apr 09, 2014 at 05:00 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

AnthonyRay
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Samyang/Bower 14mm f/2.8 Ultra Wide-Angle for $299

jim bennett wrote:
Is there any lens in the canon or nikon line up that even comes close to the value and quality ratio of this lens? Trying to decide if I should be looking at other lenses besides this one. These always seem to be quite highly regarded.

The only thing that could be better about this lens would be AF.
The fact that people even mention it in the same sentence as the Nikkor 14-24 - as in they finally got a 14-24 to replace it tells you all you need to know.

I'm still coming to grips with mine. While I'm pretty familiar with UWA lenses, a fully manual one isn't quite as easy as I was lead to believe. Then again I'm pretty picky. For landscapes though I don't see how you could do much better. Too bad the best filter system available for it costs more than the lens!

Other than that, it's silly sharp and has very good contrast - although it leans a bit yellow (at least to me). There's Adobe Lens profiles out there - 2 for Canon and several for Nikon. The Canon one (what I shoot) for the 5D mkIII is for JPEG, but can be easily modified for RAW. It works very well and the odd mustache distortion is easily solved.

I got mine for $300 (Rokinon), and would do it again. There's really nothing else out there like it. At least until Sigma revamps their 12-24. Highly recommended! BTW, everyone else is right - the Bowers/Samyang/Rokinon are the same lens - with cosmetic differences.

Fred Miranda wrote:
Bower 14mm f/2.8 Ultra Wide-Angle Lens for $299

Apr 09, 2014 at 05:33 AM
swordfishphoto
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Samyang/Bower 14mm f/2.8 Ultra Wide-Angle for $299

I dunno, I had a Rokinon 7.5 fisheye and loved it. But the 24 3.5 Tilt Shift was terrible and I got rid of it first chance I got.

Apr 09, 2014 at 05:50 AM
kiddik
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Samyang/Bower 14mm f/2.8 Ultra Wide-Angle for $299

Optically these lenses are superb but mechanically they are garbage. I live in Iceland and I know a large group of photographers who use these lenses for the northern lights (myself included), as they are ultrawide and wonderfully sharp wide open for nighttime photography, and 1/8 of the price of a Canon 14/2.8L II. Everyone loves his/her Samyang. However, after a certain while many Samyang/Rokinon/ProOptic/Bower 14mm lenses simply "pop out of focus", they can no longer focus to infinity, and can't get past ca. 1.5-3 meter focus distance. I'm a bit handy and unafraid to open up lenses, and just recently I have fixed two of these lenses by taking them apart, readjusting the focus barrel and reassemble and I know of a few more coming my way. These lenses had all very good care and looked like new when I got them. Maybe it has something to do with the cold that we're using these lenses in? But I have come to accept that these lenses have only about a 1-2 year working life until they need repair. Same goes for the 8mm fisheye, I hear of many that are simply unable to focus for infinity, right out of the store. You get what you pay for

Work-in-progress snap:

Apr 09, 2014 at 10:32 AM
shutterbug guy
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Samyang/Bower 14mm f/2.8 Ultra Wide-Angle for $299

Being a Canon shooter, would there be any advantage to buying a Nikon mounted lens and using a Canon adapter with focus confirmation?

I know, I know at this focus length why bother? Just saying....

Roger

Apr 09, 2014 at 11:04 AM
jean-paul land

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Samyang/Bower 14mm f/2.8 Ultra Wide-Angle for $299

When will the new 10mm f/2.8 be available? Sounds like a candidate for an astro lens on a crop body.

Apr 09, 2014 at 11:35 AM
Dustin Gent
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Samyang/Bower 14mm f/2.8 Ultra Wide-Angle for $299

HERE is a thread that has some nice images taken with this lens.

This was taken with a D700. I have since sold the lens and camera and got a D600 and 14-24. I do have to say the 14mm 2.8 is soo much lighter than the 14-24

Apr 09, 2014 at 01:40 PM
raydee

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Samyang/Bower 14mm f/2.8 Ultra Wide-Angle for $299

kiddik wrote:
Work-in-progress snap:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/80257/ilm/samyang_repair.jpg

I also did an adjustment with my copy of the Samynag 14mm to place infinity at f2.8 right at the stop for night work. All that it involved was loosing three screws to free the helical from the focus ring and set the infinity point. Then refasten the screws. At f5.6 & upwards infinity now is somewhere between the 2 and 3m mark on the focus scale...

It could well be that strong temperature changes play havoc with the focus helical, though it's a bit puzzling (pun intended) that you have to go that lengths to get it back working. I had once freeze the sticky fat on the aperture ring after being outside for two hours at -15C, but it came back working after being in a more friendly environment for some hours.

Apr 09, 2014 at 01:58 PM
dmccombs
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Samyang/Bower 14mm f/2.8 Ultra Wide-Angle for $299

skibum5 wrote:
No, they are all the same. I think that is just left-over whatever on the B&H site. Every time they have a sale those same lines of text come into question.

I have the Bower myself and use it on a 5D3. But the Samyag and ROkinon are the same exact lens.
It has a TON of distortion but is very sharp under most circumstance (fine branches against bright clouds can sometimes get low in microcontrast but otherwise it's mad sharp, like maybe sharper than most L, it's way sharper at the edges on FF than any 24-105L I ever tried.

Skibum,

Thanks for the feedback.

Apr 09, 2014 at 02:34 PM
byteseller
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Samyang/Bower 14mm f/2.8 Ultra Wide-Angle for $299

If anyone is in need of calibrating one of these lenses, I think this tutorial is extremely helpful (and remarkably simple).

http://www.videofy.me/emadeloc/755452

WARNING: video contains, GASP, spanish... good time to practice :-) Actually the graphics are mostly self-explanatory.

Apr 09, 2014 at 03:43 PM
kiddik
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Samyang/Bower 14mm f/2.8 Ultra Wide-Angle for $299

raydee wrote
I also did an adjustment with my copy of the Samynag 14mm to place infinity at f2.8 right at the stop for night work. All that it involved was loosing three screws to free the helical from the focus ring and set the infinity point. Then refasten the screws. At f5.6 & upwards infinity now is somewhere between the 2 and 3m mark on the focus scale...

Yes it's true that usually the lenses are extremely easy to fix, in the two cases I mentioned of having to disassemble, was because the internal metal helicoid that we usually loosen, turn, re-fasten through the little hole, was completely out of touch with the focusing mechanism, so adjustments did absolutely nothing, which is why I took to extreme measures I actually don't know exactly how I fixed them these two times, just the disassembly+reassembly somehow was enough to do the trick. However the lenses weren't completely fixed after this treatment, I regained infinity focus but lost a few centimeters from the MFD.

Apr 09, 2014 at 04:24 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password