Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

end

Should this forum have a new title?

tived
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Should this forum have a new title?

Lol - u gave me a chuggle - that is so true 😄
dmacmillan wrote:
Thanks for responding. I see you discuss what I categorize as fine art or fashion photography. I guess my Yank definition of commercial photography is more narrow.

Your post reminded me of the saying: "An amateur artist is someone who works to support their art. A professional artist is someone whose spouse works to support their art."

In the early days of photography, amateur photography was considered a purer expression and amateurs often looked with disdain at commercial photographers who tried to make money with photography.

You can also add Ansel Adams to your list. He never made a lot of
...Show more

Apr 17, 2014 at 12:02 PM
Micky Bill
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Should this forum have a new title?

anthonygh wrote:
Ok.....just call this Pro Corner.....

However...I would disagree with any attempts to dismiss those who don't work full time as a photographer as being 'unprofessional'.

The fact that some photographers don't need to work at it full time doesn't mean that what they do undertake isn't as good and professional as those that do. One could argue a case for preferring the qualities a part timer brings...I know that the time I taught undergraduates at art school was probably my most creative years photographically. Constant contact with numerous highly creative highly motivated individuals from a variety of disciplines is....stimulating. It definitely improved
...Show more

i think that you are a bit hung up on the term "professional". Since in the US there is no license or education required to become a photographer it is open to anyone to call themselves whatever they want. Acting professionally or producing professional quality work is different to most than "being" a professional (fill in the blank).

Apr 18, 2014 at 01:19 AM
Micky Bill
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Should this forum have a new title?

hmmm, a survey by the shell of a company that used to make many different kinds of film saying that some fashion photographers use some film on some shoot...

In LA there used to be about 20 labs that ran film all day and half the night. Now there are less than a handful. Unless you go to a place like The Icon, what used to take 2-3 hour turnaround, is days because they run film on Tues and Thurs.
Try and show up at one of the few remaining camera stores and buy 50 or 60 rolls of 120 ______ and a case of instant film without telling them in advance. Chances are they won't have it.

Apr 18, 2014 at 01:27 AM
nolaguy
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Should this forum have a new title?

What a very colorful thread.

Dave, nice observations and summary.

Glort. Wow. Agitated much? Not to speak for him but I think Chezís point may have been that FM is a tremendous learning resource that does in fact help buffer the lack of years of education or experience for many aspiring photographers. Itís not just a place for well-established, successful, competent professionals to hob knob. And from what Iíve witnessed over the past three years, probably 80%+ of those who qualify for that distinction are happily generous in sharing their knowledge and advice. Thatís a key factor in FMís appeal and success.

Itís also a place where even very capable and accomplished veterans learn from both the superstars and the goofballs alike. Everyone has their story.

That said, are the most lame, amateurish (note the ish) offenders annoying to many and troubling to the market and those who take this business seriously?... of course they are. And itís going to get worse. But if weíre losing sleep over that perhaps we should have been $750K a year doctors or $35K a year social workers who have to be credentialed.

Shrug.

Finally, regarding the wannabe you so deftly disarmed over the B&B job. Well done to you Ė and to him. You both take shoe leather and electricity into account in your pricing, you just do it in different ways. Iíd bet a monthís salary 95% of the pros (by our largely agreed upon definition) would be very, very thankful if all the Craigís list wannabes did the same.

The fact he was apparently so overblown in his quote largely helped you Ė and your considerable experience and savvy sealed the deal. Would that every day ended on such an upbeat note.

Regards,

Chuck

OhÖ and no, I donít think the board needs a new name. It just needs more traffic, participants and business discussion. Most of that seems to take place in Weddings. It would be nice to see more photographers in other specialties sharing their business questions and wisdom here.

On that note, I have a big (and unexpected) opportunity to shoot a meadow with a lot of grass in it soon. How much should I charge?

Apr 22, 2014 at 02:05 AM
Paul Mo
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Should this forum have a new title?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpKS7coB3j4

Apr 22, 2014 at 09:34 AM
anthonygh
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Should this forum have a new title?

Anyone here seen the birthday pic (of The Queen) that Bailey has just done? Probably on his weapon of choice..a TLF Rollie....A film camera.

Apr 24, 2014 at 01:17 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

anthonygh
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Should this forum have a new title?

Was chatting to a pro fashion photographer this weekend.....he is moving back to film for a few reasons. Film is more 'forgiving' when photographing models...and as an experienced film user..he knows that what comes back from the lab is close to what is wanted by the magazines he works for..and he didn't have to spend ages doing any post processing..the in house mag team did this.

He also admitted that he used maybe two rolls of MF and two rolls of 35mm film during a studio session.

Apr 24, 2014 at 01:45 AM
glort
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Should this forum have a new title?

anthonygh wrote:
Was chatting to a pro fashion photographer this weekend.....he is moving back to film for a few reasons. Film is more 'forgiving' when photographing models...and as an experienced film user..he knows that what comes back from the lab is close to what is wanted by the magazines he works for..and he didn't have to spend ages doing any post processing..the in house mag team did this.

He also admitted that he used maybe two rolls of MF and two rolls of 35mm film during a studio session.

You seem very keen to push Film. If you like it and want to use it terrific. You don't need to try and convince everyone here that some people still use it. It's not a huge medium with pro shooters because very few if any clients will accept it for any sort of publication. It all has to be scanned which is more cost and a degradation of quality requiring spotting of the scans etc.

Sure it still has it's champions and no one is contesting that but it's a bit like Carburetors on cars. the world has moved on and while some people still wouldn't have anything else, the huge majority have gone onto something different that has benefits that are more to their liking.

The film Vs Digital argument was done and finished about 10 years ago now. The outcome is pretty clear.

Apr 24, 2014 at 06:57 AM
anthonygh
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Should this forum have a new title?

glort wrote:
You seem very keen to push Film. If you like it and want to use it terrific. You don't need to try and convince everyone here that some people still use it. It's not a huge medium with pro shooters because very few if any clients will accept it for any sort of publication. It all has to be scanned which is more cost and a degradation of quality requiring spotting of the scans etc.

Sure it still has it's champions and no one is contesting that but it's a bit like Carburetors on cars. the world has moved on
...Show more

I use both so not pushing either.....this is a response to my proposition that the term 'digital' should be dropped from the forum title as not all 'Pros' exclusively use digital. I fully accept most do....but many don't.

Apr 24, 2014 at 08:58 PM
centricx007

p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Should this forum have a new title?

anthonygh wrote:
Watching a similar post on a UK site...from a post there it seems a Kodak survey has recorded that something like 70% of pro fashion photographers use MF film for some shoots.... bit like me...

let me know the website please? Thank u.

Jun 05, 2014 at 05:26 PM
Focus Locus
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Should this forum have a new title?

Scott Kelby sent me an email today, along with half a million other photographers on his mailing list. In the email, he introduced us to Dollar Photo Club. I had never heard of it before. I clicked.

22 million royalty free images, for a dollar each. You can use them a half million times. I liked the images too. Quite good actually. Fantastic. Phenomenal even.

This download for a dollar deal is cheaper than buying a photographer a dollar meal at Micky D's... because the photographer will need a dollar drink to go with that dollar burger, and that's 2 dollars, not just one.

I can't help but think that this new reality influences the perceived value of photography... probably more so than any pricing blunders of a spouse subsidized emerging photographer.

Ha, on edit, I just now saw that Dollar Photo Club is an advertiser on this very forum.

Edited on Jun 11, 2014 at 08:40 PM · View previous versions

Jun 11, 2014 at 12:01 AM
Paul Mo
• • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Should this forum have a new title?

The future is not shooting images but using the Internet to build your profile as a tutor, reviewer or commentator. Of course some people realised that years ago and now, for better or worse, we are stuck with them - including Kelby.

Jun 11, 2014 at 01:06 AM
       end

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password