Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2014 · Developing Mamiya RZ67 Film??

oldrattler
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Developing Mamiya RZ67 Film??

buggz2k wrote:
You can also send it to a better lab:
http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98700

I will give this a shot. Thank you, Jim

Apr 09, 2014 at 11:14 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Developing Mamiya RZ67 Film??

Jim -- I basically went through the same evaluation process you are going through. I own a full RB67 Pro SD system, a full Pentax 67II system, as well as Canon 1N, T90 and Nikon N50 & N80 -- that's what I have currently! Plus, I have decades of 35mm, medium format and 4x5 film that could be scanned -- so there is an incentive to stay attached to film.

But. . . the reality, as I found in the last year or so, is that is just too much work and too much cost, except to shoot film occasionally for the novelty of it.

For an average outing, when I shoot film carefully, around half as many exposures I do with with digital, the costs mount rapidly for three or four rolls at a time (film and dev and CD). Even using 35mm and developing at Costco with their CDs of crummy 6MP jpg images, four rolls of film adds up to quite a lot. Multiply by say 20 such outings per year (a very minimal amount for me), and we are talking the price of an expensive lens per year! Or MF film scanner!

I've used the local lab here in Simi Valley, who do nice develop and JPG at around 15 to 20 MP from 35mm or 120 film at around $25 per roll. Also have sent to North Coast and gotten their develop and economy scans. It's fun, but I always feel constricted by the work flow, conserving exposures, the huge delay between exposing and seeing the results, and the cost factor. So, except for novelty, the film process kind if takes the fun right out of it.

This all makes me reflect at how joyous I was to finally shuck film when I got professional digital cameras! No more midnight runs to Hollywood photo labs for rush turn around! No more shopping for film for each assignment! So many other pleasures I gained with the freedom of digital imaging.

So now I'm going to shoot film, jumping through all those same hoops, only to scan the images into digital format Seriously? Ha-ha! It's like the thought of searching out a high school girlfriend when you are a happily married 60 year old man! Really? Why?

Sorry to seem down on film. But I spent half a lifetime dealing with it professionally, and now I love the freedom and low cost of digital image capture and processing. Scorn me if you will, but apparently I'm in with the majority of lazy non-masochistic image makers!

Good luck with the conundrum, my friend.

Apr 09, 2014 at 01:02 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Developing Mamiya RZ67 Film??

Gunzorro wrote:
Jim -- I basically went through the same evaluation process you are going through. I own a full RB67 Pro SD system, a full Pentax 67II system, as well as Canon 1N, T90 and Nikon N50 & N80 -- that's what I have currently! Plus, I have decades of 35mm, medium format and 4x5 film that could be scanned -- so there is an incentive to stay attached to film.

But. . . the reality, as I found in the last year or so, is that is just too much work and too much cost, except to shoot film occasionally
...Show more

Thank you Jim. This started out as a lark but rapidly has turned into a major expense. I just purchased an epson V750 scanner to process the film pictures. Thank goodness my wife wanted a scanner so this made her happy. I am going to stick with film for atleast a month, or more. I always have my 1DIV to fall back on if cost becomes prohibitive. Thank you for the input. Jim

Apr 09, 2014 at 03:15 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Developing Mamiya RZ67 Film??

Are you still RV'ing around? Maybe put the scanner and camera in its own bunk and make a little shelf space in the fridge for film -- just like roommates!

Have fun -- I'm sure you will!

Apr 09, 2014 at 03:48 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Developing Mamiya RZ67 Film??

Gunzorro wrote:
Are you still RV'ing around? Maybe put the scanner and camera in its own bunk and make a little shelf space in the fridge for film -- just like roommates!

Have fun -- I'm sure you will!

Still living in the RV. I have a dedicated space for my photography, but after 16 months on the road the space is getting tighter. Thank you for all your help. Jim

Apr 09, 2014 at 05:08 PM
corposant
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Developing Mamiya RZ67 Film??

Gunzorro wrote:

But. . . the reality, as I found in the last year or so, is that is just too much work and too much cost, except to shoot film occasionally
...Show more

Maybe you should sell me your P67ii.

Apr 09, 2014 at 06:22 PM
R.Young
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Developing Mamiya RZ67 Film??

There shouldn't be any pressure to shoot only film, or shoot a lot of film. I have about 3 35mm film cameras and a Hasselblad but I shoot half digital and half film at the moment. I pick which is most appropriate for what I want to shoot and don't let it bother me too much, if film stacks up and needs to be scanned, there is always the winter. If I want to share the photos quickly I'll shoot digital. I can see why after shooting film professionally it would seem a drag to carry on doing so now, but for everyone else is it should be for the novelty and enjoyment, the suspense of getting it developed, the unpredictability of it all, and the knowledge that what you have created was a truly physical image as opposed to a digital one.

Nice one for purchasing the scanner, as I said before it will save you money in the long run, give you more control and can always be sold for most of what you paid for it if you decide to give it up sometime in the future.

Apr 09, 2014 at 06:38 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Developing Mamiya RZ67 Film??

corposant wrote:
Maybe you should sell me your P67ii.

PM me and I'll let you know what I have!

Apr 10, 2014 at 12:29 AM
jim bennett
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Developing Mamiya RZ67 Film??

R.Young wrote:
There shouldn't be any pressure to shoot only film, or shoot a lot of film. I have about 3 35mm film cameras and a Hasselblad but I shoot half digital and half film at the moment. I pick which is most appropriate for what I want to shoot and don't let it bother me too much, if film stacks up and needs to be scanned, there is always the winter. If I want to share the photos quickly I'll shoot digital. I can see why after shooting film professionally it would seem a drag to carry on doing so now,
...Show more
This is a very good view and is likely how my film journey will evolve over time. Initially I shot nothing but film, but as stated above you can always do a bit of both quite happily

Apr 12, 2014 at 06:21 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Developing Mamiya RZ67 Film??

jim bennett wrote:
This is a very good view and is likely how my film journey will evolve over time. Initially I shot nothing but film, but as stated above you can always do a bit of both quite happily

Thank you. I will be using a 1DIV for wildlife & telephoto landscape. Jim

Apr 13, 2014 at 03:56 AM
ebwilson

p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Developing Mamiya RZ67 Film??

Important and paid jobs are done with digital pro nikon equip.. Personal projects and experiments I do on 6x7 mamiya RZ.

May 29, 2014 at 11:25 AM
       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.