Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Is the oil problem gone with d600 serviced or the newer d...

ysunkar

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Is the oil problem gone with d600 serviced or the newer d610?

I know this may have been well discussed, but I wonder, as a confirmation, if the oil problem on d600 is completely solved after shutter replacement by nikon usa? What about the newer d610? I saw negative reviews on amazon reporting the same issue. Does one take risk in purchasing d610 (and nikon has yet offered any service)? Thanks.

Apr 08, 2014 at 07:57 PM
curryphoto
• •
p.1 #2 · Is the oil problem gone with d600 serviced or the newer d610?

Hey, I recently was on the fence about purchasing a used or refurbished D600, or a new D610. I did considerable searches and found both happy campers with the retrofitted shutters, and some who had the same oil problems even after sending their D600's in for service. With only about a $400 spread, I opted to go with a new D610 for the piece of mind.....so far I'm very satisfied, but only time will tell.....

Apr 10, 2014 at 03:43 AM
MitchSC
• • •
p.1 #3 · Is the oil problem gone with d600 serviced or the newer d610?

I think you would be safe betting the bank that the D610 does not have an oil issue. As far as the shutter replacement fixing the D600. Nikon has stated that they will repair or replace any D600 that can't be repaired. That's essentially a lifetime warranty on the shutter.
I bought a practically new D600 with 145 shutter count for $1250. I now have 800 clicks on the shutter and so far no problem. If it develops a problem I will send it in.
You don't read many post of owners not being satisfied with the fix. If they weren't you would here about it.

Apr 10, 2014 at 04:57 AM
ytwong
• • •
p.1 #4 · Is the oil problem gone with d600 serviced or the newer d610?

I have sent in my D600 (for the 3rd time, warranty expired) more than 2 weeks ago, and I just got a call from Nikon service center. The manager said my D600 was already installed with the latest shutter and he kind of "induced" me to ask for an exchange (guess they are not allowed to propose offering a new camera). I asked for a new camera and my request was immediately accepted. I didn't specifically asked for a D610(I don't care for the extra 0.5 fps) but he told me they will give a D610 to me (complete body-only package).

This is the "dust map" before I sent the camera in.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/a4vhkfx5hfalh2x/DSC_7533.jpg

After around 2 weeks of extensive shooting after sensor cleaning (after 2nd trip to Nikon)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/j91gonlp3obfxvm/dust_1.JPG

I have to admit that the new shutter is an improvement over the original one, the spots were very obvious.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/v8n2isex34ishsz/20130404_DSC_9285.jpg

Given that my D600 has another annoying issue, I am happy that I can get a new camera (at last the frustration is going to an end!). Since they told me that my D600 has already been replaced with the "improved" shutter, they kind of gave me an impression that D600 cannot be completely fixed.

Apr 10, 2014 at 08:21 AM
PeaktoPeek
• • •
p.1 #5 · Is the oil problem gone with d600 serviced or the newer d610?

I sent mine in --even though I never had any issues with oil. I figured I might as well do it, since they were doing it for free and it was out of warranty anyway. If I ever do have any issues, it gives me a head start on a replacement. I doubt I'll have issues though, and with the low prices you can snap up a D600 for I would do it again in a heartbeat.
Paul

Apr 10, 2014 at 05:18 PM
jc9394
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · Is the oil problem gone with d600 serviced or the newer d610?

ytwong wrote:
I have sent in my D600 (for the 3rd time, warranty expired) more than 2 weeks ago, and I just got a call from Nikon service center. The manager said my D600 was already installed with the latest shutter and he kind of "induced" me to ask for an exchange (guess they are not allowed to propose offering a new camera). I asked for a new camera and my request was immediately accepted. I didn't specifically asked for a D610(I don't care for the extra 0.5 fps) but he told me they will give a D610 to me (complete body-only
...Show more

Is it Nikon Hong Kong service center? They are much better than service centers in the state. I bring my D800E in while I was in HK for vacation, they clean it for free while I wait and never asked me if the camera is Asia/China warranty product.

Apr 10, 2014 at 07:00 PM
ytwong
• • •
p.1 #7 · Is the oil problem gone with d600 serviced or the newer d610?

Yes, Nikon Hong Kong service center. Service is fine but they were rather silent regarding D600 dust issues (or any other issues), and usually almost the last one to issue those "service advice" when they had to.

PeaktoPeek wrote:
I sent mine in --even though I never had any issues with oil. I figured I might as well do it, since they were doing it for free and it was out of warranty anyway. If I ever do have any issues, it gives me a head start on a replacement. I doubt I'll have issues though, and with the low prices you can snap up a D600 for I would do it again in a heartbeat.
Paul

I didn't brought the D600 at a low price... but given all the hassles I have went through, I wouldn't buy a D600 even at this new low price. Almost none of my photos can be used straight out of the camera (or simple raw conversion). Who want to spend tens of hours after a long trip in front of the computer cloning out dust spots? Who love to have their camera sitting in service center when you have an outing? I don't. MY D600 box contains a camera with great sensor but it also came with lots of frustration.

Anyway, I am ready to move on and hopefully will have a trouble free D610.

Apr 11, 2014 at 04:19 PM
MDoc9523
• • • •
p.1 #8 · Is the oil problem gone with d600 serviced or the newer d610?

I had no hassles with my D600. I sent it in and got it back better than before. It is sharper and has more clarity than before and it was already an outstanding camera. Over 1000 shots and sensor is still sparkling clear.

Apr 11, 2014 at 05:16 PM
ysunkar

p.1 #9 · Is the oil problem gone with d600 serviced or the newer d610?

Thank you guys for the good discussion. It seems most people are happy with the shutter replacement while there remains a few complaints. I think I will not be bothered by this issue any more.

Apr 14, 2014 at 04:51 PM
mco_970
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · Is the oil problem gone with d600 serviced or the newer d610?

Wilfred, I am glad they are finally replacing your camera! It's about time, my friend.

Apr 14, 2014 at 07:55 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

RP3lks

p.1 #11 · Is the oil problem gone with d600 serviced or the newer d610?

I've had a D610 since Dec 2013 and have seen no oil or noticeable dust on the sensor yet. I regularly check sharpness at 100% and am pleased to see nothing in the way of oil spots and no dust either.
The IQ is crazy good IMO and I'm happy with my purchase choice. I'm also very happy to see Nikon replacing D600's that have been in for this issue a few times with a new D610. That is the right thing to do, however late it may be.

Robert

Apr 14, 2014 at 08:59 PM
mco_970
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · Is the oil problem gone with d600 serviced or the newer d610?

Nikon is replacing my D600 w/ D610 - D600 was still slinging a ton of oil after the new shutter was installed. Thank you Nikon.

Apr 16, 2014 at 06:57 PM
Pack12

p.1 #13 · Is the oil problem gone with d600 serviced or the newer d610?

mco_970 wrote:
Nikon is replacing my D600 w/ D610 - D600 was still slinging a ton of oil after the new shutter was installed. Thank you Nikon.

How many shots did you take before the oil started up again? I just received mine back from shutter replacement. So far so good but I've only taken about 100 shots or so.

Apr 18, 2014 at 04:03 PM
mco_970
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · Is the oil problem gone with d600 serviced or the newer d610?

Under a thousand! It actually seemed as bad or worse with the new shutter. I have nooooo idea why.

I had mostly used my D7100 and Sony A7 over winter, D600 has mostly been a Closet Queen.

Apr 18, 2014 at 04:26 PM
jim bennett
• • •
p.1 #15 · Is the oil problem gone with d600 serviced or the newer d610?

If I purchased a used d600 from someone, will Nikon still service the shutter and provide a replacement (if they cant fix the shutter) if I am not the original owner and do not have a receipt? I believe I read somewhere that for lenses they do not provide the 5 year warranty for anyone other than the original purchaser.

Apr 18, 2014 at 04:42 PM
MitchSC
• • •
p.1 #16 · Is the oil problem gone with d600 serviced or the newer d610?

jim bennett wrote:
If I purchased a used d600 from someone, will Nikon still service the shutter and provide a replacement (if they cant fix the shutter) if I am not the original owner and do not have a receipt? I believe I read somewhere that for lenses they do not provide the 5 year warranty for anyone other than the original purchaser.

Yes. This is not a warranty it is an attempt to make all D600 owners whole with a recall.

Apr 18, 2014 at 04:49 PM
MitchSC
• • •
p.1 #17 · Is the oil problem gone with d600 serviced or the newer d610?

mco_970 wrote:
Under a thousand! It actually seemed as bad or worse with the new shutter. I have nooooo idea why.

I had mostly used my D7100 and Sony A7 over winter, D600 has mostly been a Closet Queen.

This is the reason I haven't sent mine in. As long as I don't have a problem I don't want to take a chance. I am happy to see you are getting a new camera.

Apr 18, 2014 at 04:56 PM
mco_970
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · Is the oil problem gone with d600 serviced or the newer d610?

MitchSC wrote:
This is the reason I haven't sent mine in. As long as I don't have a problem I don't want to take a chance. I am happy to see you are getting a new camera.

Thanks - mine was having spots showing at moderate apertures (f/12). At f/16 it looked really bad and at f/22 it was like looking at a reverse starfield. I didn't want to keep it as it was, and I certainly wouldn't have sold it that way... So I'm glad Nikon is making it right.

Apr 18, 2014 at 07:09 PM
Pack12

p.1 #19 · Is the oil problem gone with d600 serviced or the newer d610?

jim bennett wrote:

I was in the same situation. Purchased it used from someone last year and I sent it in a few weeks ago and just got it back yesterday.

Apr 18, 2014 at 08:04 PM
Gregstx
• • •
p.1 #20 · Is the oil problem gone with d600 serviced or the newer d610?

I was the second owner of a D600. Mine had about 1200 clicks on it when I bought it and it did have oil/dust spots. This was well before the service recall. I cleaned the sensor myself. After about 10,000 additional clicks, I had no spots or any issues at all but I sent it in for the recall, anyway. From what I could tell, they did not replace my shutter. But they did service the camera. They never questioned me about not being the original owner. It seems like they did fine tune the focus, since all of my AF fine tune settings are now different. So far, I can't see that any oil/dust spots have come back.

Apr 19, 2014 at 02:20 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password