Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Steve Tinetti, Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Guest sign-in books from Engagement Sessions

Nikon_14
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Guest sign-in books from Engagement Sessions

...What are some companies I should consider getting them from? What are features that differentiate a low-end guest sign-in book from something nicer?

I'm thinking that many clients aren't likely to spend as much money on them as they do on the album after the wedding, so I should have a high-quality, 5x5 or 8x8 mini-album on the high end, then a press book on the low end.

Tell me if my impressions are correct:

BayPhoto
Lower-end

BRI
Lower to mid-end

Cypress
Someone mentioned them re: albums; don't recall if it was good or bad.

Finao
Upscale

GraphiStudio
Upscale

PictoBooks
Mid-end

Queensbury
Someone mentioned them re: albums; don't recall if it was good or bad.

Redtree
Upscale, with a pricetag out of reach of many clients

Renaissance
Upscale, with a pricetag out of reach of many clients

Apr 08, 2014 at 07:24 PM
dhp_sf
• • •
p.1 #2 · Guest sign-in books from Engagement Sessions

Queensberry is pretty high end -- probably one of the most expensive in terms of cost. Finao has a nice option that's not too expensive but pretty nice quality (Playbook I believe). I've only used Finao, Renaissance and Queensberry--all of which I thought were really nice quality. My preference is personally QBerry for high end books (really love the duo line). I like their title page and that the motifs are included in the cost--also it takes two days from shipping to landing on my doorstep from NZ to SF.

Apr 08, 2014 at 07:31 PM
SloPhoto
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · Guest sign-in books from Engagement Sessions

I love redtree albums, but they are $$ for what you are considering.

Something like a Millers/Mpix Signature or Layflat Press Book? I was very impressed by the Renaissanse Essex book at WPPI (not a fan of their other stuff from a value perspective). The essex may be my low cost option once I start doing this for real (silver halide, not press print).

If it really is a sign-in book, press print stuff usually is easier for pen selection.

Edited on Apr 08, 2014 at 07:46 PM · View previous versions

Apr 08, 2014 at 07:44 PM
MRomine
• • •
p.1 #4 · Guest sign-in books from Engagement Sessions

Nikon_14 wrote:
BRI
Lower to mid-end

Lay flat press printed. Fairly decent printing for the money. Best feature, images or art work that spans the gutter will line up across the gutter. Many printers struggle with this. For example WHCC will not reprint a press book unless the alignment is more than an 1/8 off across the gutter. An 1/8" is huge in my opinion. This was the reason I stopped using WHCC press books, they could never get the alignment on the money all time. BRI will reprint if the pages do not line up regardless of the amount.

Apr 08, 2014 at 07:45 PM
Nikon_14
• • •
p.1 #5 · Guest sign-in books from Engagement Sessions

Duy, Slo, Mark,

Thanks for the insights. Good to hear what good/bad experiences other people have had.

Apr 09, 2014 at 02:09 AM
joelconner
• • • •
p.1 #6 · Guest sign-in books from Engagement Sessions

We started using WHCC for our guest books a few years ago, and and we have been very pleased with them. They are the only thing we order from WHCC, actually, but we have tried many options. They are the best combo of quality and price for us.

Apr 09, 2014 at 03:42 AM
MRomine
• • •
p.1 #7 · Guest sign-in books from Engagement Sessions

joelconner wrote:
We started using WHCC for our guest books a few years ago, and and we have been very pleased with them. They are the only thing we order from WHCC, actually, but we have tried many options. They are the best combo of quality and price for us.

I initially started using WHCC press printed books for my guest books but there were two problems that may have been solved since I stopped using them. The first one was right and left sides of a spread not lining up across the gutter. At times they would be more than an 1/8" off. Those they would reprint but if it was an 1/8 or less no free reprint. Coming from the printing industry this was not acceptable for me.

The other item had to do with the wrap around matt photo cover material (don't recall the name that they used) but it would get tiny air bubbles between the print and the matt cover in areas where there was a tight fold, like the corners and book spine. These got worse with age. So I moved on, this would have been back in 09'.

Apr 09, 2014 at 03:56 AM
joelconner
• • • •
p.1 #8 · Guest sign-in books from Engagement Sessions

Interesting. I imagine those are things that they got fixed, because I have not seen either of those things happen even once. We have been using them for these books since '12, and there was only an issue with the very first book we printed (a color calibration error on my part, in fact), and they reprinted it.

Apr 09, 2014 at 04:34 AM
TTLKurtis
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · Guest sign-in books from Engagement Sessions

You rank Graphi above PictoBooks? Joo crazy.

Apr 09, 2014 at 04:41 AM
Aldo2014

Account locked
p.1 #10 · Guest sign-in books from Engagement Sessions

Thanks for the insight

Apr 09, 2014 at 07:23 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Nikon_14
• • •
p.1 #11 · Guest sign-in books from Engagement Sessions

TTLKurtis wrote:
You rank Graphi above PictoBooks? Joo crazy.

If you go back and read my original post, you'll see that I was asking other people for their opinions, experiences, etc.

Apr 09, 2014 at 11:57 AM
RKTodd
• •
p.1 #12 · Guest sign-in books from Engagement Sessions

I use H&H Color Lab's press printed photo book. Sounds low-end, looks and feels high-end.
Ordered with velvet photo cover, 24 lay flat pages, it's delivered to me at just under $70.

Apr 09, 2014 at 12:59 PM
g-money
• • •
p.1 #13 · Guest sign-in books from Engagement Sessions

I just recently started using the Finao "play book" for guest signing and engagement books. Quality is great and cost is not much more than the ones I was getting from BRI.

Greg

Apr 09, 2014 at 01:28 PM
joelconner
• • • •
p.1 #14 · Guest sign-in books from Engagement Sessions

g-money wrote:
I just recently started using the Finao "play book" for guest signing and engagement books. Quality is great and cost is not much more than the ones I was getting from BRI.

Greg

I have been meaning to check those out...

Apr 09, 2014 at 02:19 PM
Nikon_14
• • •
p.1 #15 · Guest sign-in books from Engagement Sessions

RKTodd wrote:
Sounds low-end, looks and feels high-end.
Ordered with velvet photo cover, 24 lay flat pages, it's delivered to me at just under $70.

Now if their quality standards are decent, that would be ideal.

Apr 09, 2014 at 02:34 PM
Nikon_14
• • •
p.1 #16 · Guest sign-in books from Engagement Sessions

Has anyone ever had any experiences, either good or bad, with Nations Photo Lab?

http://www.nationsphotolab.com/

Again, I'm not endorsing them, or rating them above/below anyone else; just looking for others wanting to share their experiences so that I can get the best bang for the buck.

Edited on Apr 09, 2014 at 03:30 PM · View previous versions

Apr 09, 2014 at 02:41 PM
DONIV
• •
p.1 #17 · Guest sign-in books from Engagement Sessions

just recently used miller's layflat book because I needed a guestbook fast (free overnight shippn). i got a 12x12, 10 pages, white leather with their name stamped on the lower right in black for $62 bucks shipped. looked nice and clean. client made a comment on how well the printing looked. binding was just ok, but clients won't notice. it was in my client's hands in 4 days from the time i submitted the files to miller's.

Apr 09, 2014 at 03:29 PM
kessyud

p.1 #18 · Guest sign-in books from Engagement Sessions

I've used MPixPro for engagement guest books. They have a lay flat book that is nice because it stays open for guests to sign. The pages are nice and the photos look good. I did the custom photo cover, which is a little plastic-y for my tastes, but they have other options. I think mine cost maybe $75.

Apr 09, 2014 at 03:42 PM
Yaryman
• •
p.1 #19 · Guest sign-in books from Engagement Sessions

Black River Imaging.
Canvas Photo Cover - Linen hinged pages - 10" x 10"

http://ksimonian.com/Blog/2011/06/14/engagement-slide-show-custom-guest-photo-signing-book-christina-jesse/

Apr 09, 2014 at 04:52 PM
Prettym1k3
• • •
p.1 #20 · Guest sign-in books from Engagement Sessions

I've been very happy with KISS and their internet based design tool. Super friendly. I can usually slap an album together in 90 minutes. Easy to send drafts out to clients, etc.

Their pricing is a little high when you get into a thick/multiple spread albums, but the quality is superb.

Edit. I apparently don't read threads. I was talking about albums. Not guest sign in books. Sorry.

Apr 09, 2014 at 05:55 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password