FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2014 · Canon 90mm TS-E

retrofocus
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Canon 90mm TS-E

Norman my love wrote:
Retrofocus - Thanks for your tulip example with the 12mm tubes and your input. Your photo didn't show up until now. I just purchased a good Nikon to Canon adapter from CameraQuest, so I could take my 5DII with me in May and use a Nikon 18mm ZF.2 (new as well). I keep wanting to hurry up and get the Sony before I go, but a part of me says wait. Camera Quest doesn't have adapters for the Sony A7R yet, so I guess your expensive Metabone would be it. I have one Nikon lens and several Canon
...Show more

Tilt works also 100% with the Metabones adapter - you can use the TSE lenses as usual. The spacer is only needed if you use one of those L brackets I remember. I am not using one of them. There was a back and forward discussion in one of the Alternative Gear forum threads about this which was a bit difficult to follow over many pages - in the end you could gain the impression that the spacer is always needed for TSE lenses which is incorrect. I simply attach my tripod plate onto the tripod mount of the adapter and am ready to go.

Apr 12, 2014 at 06:18 PM
mjgphotoz
• • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Canon 90mm TS-E

Norman my love,

There is a mod to change the tilt/shift limitations to work in both orientations. Did it a few years ago and works fine. Below is one link that explains it. Aside from manual focus, this lens is extremely versatile as many here have indicated.

mjgphotoz

http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/article_pages/modify_canon_tilt-shift.html

Apr 13, 2014 at 08:49 AM
Norman my love
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Canon 90mm TS-E

Thanks guys for the info -
Retrofocus - Yes I would want an L bracket, but an RRS one. As I remember, the L bracket may have also been Hejnar photo. The spacer looked nice as it had a level in it I think. I have no idea if the RRS one would be the same. I like to shoot verticle using an L bracket.

MJGphotoz - Thanks for the link. Too bad, it's not just a change back and forth, on the fly thing. I'm assuming that it will arrive with tilting enabled in horizontal mode and shift enabled while in vertical mode. If it did come with both in vertical mode, it will be good for stitching.

Apr 13, 2014 at 02:34 PM
mjgphotoz
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Canon 90mm TS-E

You are correct. Note it is a very quick change, but nerve racking the first time. If you are very careful to not strip or lose the little screws you are good to go. The ribbon is very delicate so be mindful of that, but there is not actually any pressure on the two parts as they just sit one on top of the other. When you rotate it, just be careful not to pinch, pull or bind the little ribbon. The revert is simply to rotate the opposite way to where it was. I have never turned mine back as I find it much more useful with the mod for my uses. It is a very sharp lens and I have used it with tubes for macro/close ups as well as a portrait lens in addition to it's intended purpose.

Using 3 vertical images shifted left, center and right as well as tilted up and down for each shift you can create an impressive pack of pixels. A nice tidbit about the 90 TSE is that if you slide your camera in the opposite direction in an amount equal to your lens shift you will be on the nodal point and not need a special nodal mount. I just took a file and marked my shift amount on the camera plate and slide it on a marked arca mount. I have used the 5D several time to do this on interior shots but have not done it yet with the 5DIII or used it for landscape shots in that manner. It will make for very large files for sure.

Regards,

mjgphotoz

Apr 13, 2014 at 04:18 PM
Norman my love
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Canon 90mm TS-E

Thanks mjgphotoz for the education - When you say, "If you slide your camera in the opposite direction in an amount equal to your lens shift..." did you actually mean "Slide" it or rotate it?

Apr 14, 2014 at 02:03 PM
mjgphotoz
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Canon 90mm TS-E

Slide. I put one small hash mark on the arca mount in the middle. I marked the middle of the arca plate for the camera, then put a mark on either side of this middle mark equal to the distance of the shift. For this to work you must use the full shift for both directions. Line your middle mark on the arca plate to the mark on the arca mount. For the left shift, slide your camera to the RIGHT until the left mark of the plate is lined up with the mark on the mount. Shift left and do your left shift shots. Move shift back to center and slide the camera back to the middle. Do your middle shots. Slide camera LEFT so that the far RIGHT mark is lined up with the mark on the mount. Shift RIGHT and do your final shots. You can make a 3 shot vertical panorama or a 9 shot tilt and shift vertical panorama and then stitch with your weapon of choice.

I cannot take credit for this as someone much brighter than I figured out that at full shift on the 90mmTSE moving the camera the opposite direction an equal amount equaled the nodal point of the lens. I for the life of me do not remember what forum I picked this up on, but it does work. You must of course use all the normal techniques regarding focusing, exposure, overlap etc. as you would with any other pano.

mjgphotoz

Apr 14, 2014 at 07:45 PM
Norman my love
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Canon 90mm TS-E

Thanks mjgphotoz - So the Right and left Marks are the shifts to the center of the lens?

If you stich with tilt, and you have an upper row and a lower row, I would think that you would not want to tilt except at the bottom or you would not be able to stitch because the bottom of one picture would be the top of another and you would only have tilt at the bottom. Am I right on that?

Apr 14, 2014 at 09:28 PM
mjgphotoz
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Canon 90mm TS-E

You are basically turning the arca type mount into a poor mans nodal slider if you will. Also, I am using the lens with the orientation modification so it occurs to me that my descriptions may be confusing or not applicable with the lens as you will receive it. I apologize if that is the case.

Have fun and enjoy your new lens!!

mjgphotoz

Apr 15, 2014 at 08:52 AM
Norman my love
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Canon 90mm TS-E

Thank you mjgphotoz - I will try that. I most likely will have my lens turned so that both are in the vertical orientation.

Thanks everyone - This has been a really helpful thread for me.

Apr 15, 2014 at 09:35 PM
kodakeos
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Canon 90mm TS-E

Isnt that true for every shift lens?
Basically makes it a 'film' plane shift..

Apr 16, 2014 at 09:12 PM
coogee
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Canon 90mm TS-E

Anyone got a crystal ball to know what will happen with the TSE90 if the rumoured replacement/alternative 90mm+ TS-E from Canon materialises at Photokina?!

I sold mine to fund other purchases, but have now saved up to repurchase this versatile, excellent lens.

I suppose I will wait and see, and wonder if a replacement is announced if it will push the price of the 90 up or down.

There don't seem to have been any further hints on what might be coming from Canon.

Jul 30, 2014 at 08:17 PM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Canon 90mm TS-E

coogee wrote:
Anyone got a crystal ball to know what will happen with the TSE90 if the rumoured replacement/alternative 90mm+ TS-E from Canon materialises at Photokina?!

I sold mine to fund other purchases, but have now saved up to repurchase this versatile, excellent lens.

I suppose I will wait and see, and wonder if a replacement is announced if it will push the price of the 90 up or down.

There don't seem to have been any further hints on what might be coming from Canon.

I am sure Canon will update this lens at some point. I have owned the old version of the 24/3.5 TSE lens before I upgraded to the newer version. In the 90 mm range, I don't need any optical performance increase compared to the actual 90/2.8 TSE version, neither I need the tilt/shift rotation to be changed after I had set it to my preferred parallel position, nor I want the lens to be larger/bulkier as it is. Therefore I purposely bought the current lens version for a good price used before it will be outdated and a new version with a much higher price tag will arrive. Since the current 90/2.8 TSE version has no vignetting issues, I don't expect its price tag to decrease a lot after a new version (with much higher price tag) arrives.

Jul 30, 2014 at 08:58 PM
coogee
• • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Canon 90mm TS-E

Thanks. I too like the 90/2.8 'as is', I think it's an awesome lens, so sharp and the flexibility from near macro to landscape use is great, as is the focal throw on it.
The tilt/shift alignment isn't too bothersome either - and dead right about the 'much higher price tag' - I'm braced for double the cost for anything that replaces it (presumably with a red-ring)
Hopefully it isn't replaced, just something alternative appears as an L lens.

I'll keep an eye on second-hand ones.

It hasn't budged from $1300 -1400 (Australian) dollars here in a long time.

Interesting to see what the replacement is, this is a pretty 'niche' lens as is - if they do push the price out beyond $2000 it is going to need to fill some compelling need to sell.

Jul 30, 2014 at 09:20 PM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Canon 90mm TS-E

coogee wrote:
Thanks. I too like the 90/2.8 'as is', I think it's an awesome lens, so sharp and the flexibility from near macro to landscape use is great, as is the focal throw on it.
The tilt/shift alignment isn't too bothersome either - and dead right about the 'much higher price tag' - I'm braced for double the cost for anything that replaces it (presumably with a red-ring)
Hopefully it isn't replaced, just something alternative appears as an L lens.

I'll keep an eye on second-hand ones.

It hasn't budged from $1300 -1400 (Australian) dollars here in a long time.

Interesting to see what the replacement
...Show more

Yep. I lurked around for about two years to find a mint used copy for a very good price of US$850. In my opinion it is hard to see a price like this for a used 90/2.8 TSE lens in mint quality. So far I bought all my TSE lenses used since I find the prices for new TSE glass unreasonably high.

Jul 30, 2014 at 09:33 PM
rico
• • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Canon 90mm TS-E

Everything I see from the 90 looks great, although I have t/s at that FL covered by other means. The TS-E that needs a facelift is the 45.

Jul 30, 2014 at 10:54 PM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Canon 90mm TS-E

rico wrote:
Everything I see from the 90 looks great, although I have t/s at that FL covered by other means. The TS-E that needs a facelift is the 45.

The 45 TSE is the only FL for TSE lenses I am not at all interested in. That's simply because I can easily add a decent 2x teleconverter to my 24 mm TSE lens to achieve a similar FL. This works perfectly at least for landscape shots. I can see the only purpose of somebody being interested in the 45 TSE lens for portrait photography where a faster lens speed might be required. But honestly for portraits I either prefer my 50/1.2 or the 135/2 lens.

Jul 31, 2014 at 06:22 AM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.