New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2014 · Sony a7r not sharp with Fotodiox Adapter

Dreamscape17

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sony a7r not sharp with Fotodiox Adapter

I just got my A7r a few days ago and bought a Fotodiox adapter for my Nikon G lenses. I did some test shots with the 24-85VR and the 18-35G. Surprisingly, the A7r isn't as sharp as I thought it'd be. My Nikon is as sharp, if not shaper in my test shots. It also seems like the Sony has a lot more artifacting and noise in the photo. Neither image was sharpened in post. Could the adapter be faulty?

http://cotyspence.smugmug.com/photos/i-vDMrkNn/0/O/i-vDMrkNn.jpg

http://cotyspence.smugmug.com/photos/i-BzWWzXC/0/O/i-BzWWzXC.jpg

Edited on Apr 08, 2014 at 12:30 PM · View previous versions

Apr 08, 2014 at 12:24 PM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sony a7r not sharp with Fotodiox Adapter

My strategy is to buy three or four adapters cheaply and use the best one.

Apr 08, 2014 at 12:28 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sony a7r not sharp with Fotodiox Adapter

Which Nikon are you comparing to the A7r? If it's not a D800, maybe that's the issue (your G zoom lenses not up to the A7r sensor)?

Apr 08, 2014 at 12:30 PM
Dreamscape17

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sony a7r not sharp with Fotodiox Adapter

Tariq Gibran wrote:
Which Nikon are you comparing to the A7r? If it's not a D800, maybe that's the issue (your G zoom lenses not up to the A7r sensor)?

I'm comparing to a D600.

Apr 08, 2014 at 12:32 PM
Dudewithoutape
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Sony a7r not sharp with Fotodiox Adapter

Are you looking at 100% crops or just on your screen? Raw or jpeg?

Oh a side note, is that UCLA?

Apr 08, 2014 at 12:37 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Sony a7r not sharp with Fotodiox Adapter

Dreamscape17 wrote:
I'm comparing to a D600.

Maybe it's obvious, but if you are looking at 100% comparisons of the D600 24MP sensor to the A7r 36MP sensor image, it's not going to be as sharp IF the lens is not up to the higher resolution sensor. Resize the A7r down to the D600 size and see how they compare. The A7r is going to test your lenses and I suspect those G zooms may not be up to the task?

Those D600 images themselves are not really that sharp at the pixel level so it would not surprise me if 100% views looked even worse from the A7r.

edit. BTW, I downloaded both images, sharpened the A7r and then downsized it to match the size from the D600. I think it looks just as sharp or a bit better. My conclusion is the lens is limiting the A7r sensor.

Apr 08, 2014 at 12:41 PM
alundeb
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Sony a7r not sharp with Fotodiox Adapter

My Nikon 18-35G was tack sharp on the D800E.

I think the problem is mainly down to two things: refelctions runining contrast, and diffraction.

Regarding reflections, that has to do with the adapter, but not manufacturing tolerances. Flocking and masking is necessary with most adapters on the A7r, many threads here describe it.

Regarding diffraction:

The Nikon image was shot at f/7.1, ISO 100 and shutter speed 1/320. The Sony image was shot at ISO 100 and shutter speed 1/125 in the same light, so the aperture was probably around f/11 where you visibly start losing micro contrast on the A7r. Accurately controlling aperture is a problem with adapted G lenses, and the best bet is to use the metering to determine how many stops you are from wide open.

Good luck, don't give up on the A7r !

Apr 08, 2014 at 01:00 PM
Dreamscape17

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Sony a7r not sharp with Fotodiox Adapter

Dudewithoutape wrote:
Are you looking at 100% crops or just on your screen? Raw or jpeg?

Oh a side note, is that UCLA?

I looked at 100% crops and these are RAW. And yeah this was near UCLA!

Apr 08, 2014 at 01:28 PM
freaklikeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Sony a7r not sharp with Fotodiox Adapter

I assume the Sony shot is the second. How did you focus it? Did you use peaking and just rack it out to infinity or did you use magnification? I ask because it looks like it was set to infinity, and your adapter likely needs to be shimmed for infinity at the hard stop.

I have quite a few Fotodiox adapters, and some perform better than others on my a7, but all but a few needed to be shimmed, particularly for best wide angle lens performance. I have two Novoflex adapters (Canon FD and Contax C/Y) that were perfect out of the box. They've also proved be less prone to veiling flare and weird reflections than the like Fotodiox adapters.

Apr 08, 2014 at 01:28 PM
Dreamscape17

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Sony a7r not sharp with Fotodiox Adapter

Tariq Gibran wrote:
Maybe it's obvious, but if you are looking at 100% comparisons of the D600 24MP sensor to the A7r 36MP sensor image, it's not going to be as sharp IF the lens is not up to the higher resolution sensor. Resize the A7r down to the D600 size and see how they compare. The A7r is going to test your lenses and I suspect those G zooms may not be up to the task?

Those D600 images themselves are not really that sharp at the pixel level so it would not surprise me if 100% views looked even worse
...Show more
Interesting. I have the 35mm f/2.8 Zeiss coming in the next few days so hopefully with that lens I get much better images on the A7r.

I went on a backpacking trip recently and actually dropped my D600 w/ the 18-35 on it. It broke the lens hood but the camera and lens still functioned fine. Maybe that messed up the AF slightly? Because you're right these images aren't too sharp on the D600 either.

Apr 08, 2014 at 01:30 PM
Dreamscape17

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Sony a7r not sharp with Fotodiox Adapter

freaklikeme wrote:
I assume the Sony shot is the second. How did you focus it? Did you use peaking and just rack it out to infinity or did you use magnification? I ask because it looks like it was set to infinity, and your adapter likely needs to be shimmed for infinity at the hard stop.

I have quite a few Fotodiox adapters, and some perform better than others on my a7, but all but a few needed to be shimmed, particularly for best wide angle lens performance. I have two Novoflex adapters (Canon FD and Contax C/Y) that were perfect out of
...Show more
I set focus peaking on high and focused that way. The image was clearly in focus when looking into the viewfinder/LCD. How do I correct the adapter for this?

Apr 08, 2014 at 01:31 PM
alundeb
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Sony a7r not sharp with Fotodiox Adapter

Regarding focus, it doesn't seem to be much different, but if anything the Sony shot is slightly back focused (the closest details are most out of focus). Shimming won't help for that.

Apr 08, 2014 at 01:37 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Sony a7r not sharp with Fotodiox Adapter

Here was my quick test sharpening and resizing the A7r version down to the D600 size. 100% crop at 24MP (D600) size. I don't think there is actually more detail in the D600 version at all. If the A7r was shot at F11, diffraction would be an issue IF the lens is up to resolving (diffraction softness might not show that much if the lens is not resolving enough to begin with). Looking around the D600 version, it's not tack sharp except maybe in the very center. That's why I suspect the lens is not up to the task.

http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5540407/compared600.jpg

Apr 08, 2014 at 01:41 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Sony a7r not sharp with Fotodiox Adapter

Dreamscape17 wrote:
[
I went on a backpacking trip recently and actually dropped my D600 w/ the 18-35 on it. It broke the lens hood but the camera and lens still functioned fine. Maybe that messed up the AF slightly? Because you're right these images aren't too sharp on the D600 either.

That certainly could have caused an issue. Probably should be relying on magnification and Live View anyway if you are not.

Apr 08, 2014 at 01:47 PM
Sneakyracer
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Sony a7r not sharp with Fotodiox Adapter

Tariq Gibran wrote:
Here was my quick test sharpening and resizing the A7r version down to the D600 size. 100% crop at 24MP (D600) size. I don't think there is actually more detail in the D600 version at all. If the A7r was shot at F11, diffraction would be an issue IF the lens is up to resolving (diffraction softness might not show that much if the lens is not resolving enough to begin with). Looking around the D600 version, it's not tack sharp except maybe in the very center. That's why I suspect the lens is not up to the task.

http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5540407/compared600.jpg

What is that "texture" overall in the A7R image? It is pretty evident in the wall that is in the shadow.

Apr 08, 2014 at 01:56 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Sony a7r not sharp with Fotodiox Adapter

Sneakyracer wrote:
What is that "texture" overall in the A7R image? It is pretty evident in the wall that is in the shadow.

Probably over-sharpening effects.

Apr 08, 2014 at 01:57 PM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Sony a7r not sharp with Fotodiox Adapter

Sharpening of noise artifacts

Apr 08, 2014 at 01:58 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Sony a7r not sharp with Fotodiox Adapter

I think pretty much all bets are off on this comparison anyway given that the lens was dropped - possibly damaged. As noted by the OP'r, the D600 version is not really sharp to begin with so something is off beyond an adapter problem with the A7r.

Apr 08, 2014 at 02:01 PM
Dreamscape17

p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Sony a7r not sharp with Fotodiox Adapter

Tariq Gibran wrote:
I think pretty much all bets are off on this comparison anyway given that the lens was dropped - possibly damaged. As noted by the OP'r, the D600 version is not really sharp to begin with so something is off beyond an adapter problem with the A7r.

What would be the best way to "correct" the lens? Should I try to do AF fine tune on my Nikon, or just take it into a service center to get repaired?

Apr 08, 2014 at 02:25 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Sony a7r not sharp with Fotodiox Adapter

Dreamscape17 wrote:
What would be the best way to "correct" the lens? Should I try to do AF fine tune on my Nikon, or just take it into a service center to get repaired?

I don't know what you have tried thus far. As a start, the first thing I would do is run a test at various apertures using Live View and magnification to test if the lens is alright optically. If that looks good, then do AF fine tune adjustment using those results as a benchmark (or going back and forth between magnified LV and your Phase detect normal AF after each adjustment until the two agree). I'm not a Nikon shooter so I'm not familiar with those lenses in particular and how sharp they should be.

Apr 08, 2014 at 03:06 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.