Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Steve Tinetti, Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Lightroom for iPad out now!

ai3x
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Lightroom for iPad out now!

http://www.engadget.com/2014/04/08/lightroom-mobile/

Looks like they've added syncing of libraries as well, could be interesting for working between laptop/desktop.

Apr 08, 2014 at 04:21 PM
AtelierPhoto
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Lightroom for iPad out now!

Cool, but requires CC :/

Apr 08, 2014 at 04:48 PM
ohsnaphappy
• • •
p.1 #3 · Lightroom for iPad out now!

ai3x wrote:
http://www.engadget.com/2014/04/08/lightroom-mobile/

Looks like they've added syncing of libraries as well, could be interesting for working between laptop/desktop.

I've already used it for some culling, very nice

Apr 08, 2014 at 04:50 PM
MRomine
• • •
p.1 #4 · Lightroom for iPad out now!

ai3x wrote:

I don't know, just seems like it would be very cumbersome to use and slow. I don't like attempting to do production work on a laptop I can't imagine trying to work on a tablet.

Apr 08, 2014 at 06:49 PM
dhp_sf
• • •
p.1 #5 · Lightroom for iPad out now!

MRomine wrote:
I don't know, just seems like it would be very cumbersome to use and slow. I don't like attempting to do production work on a laptop I can't imagine trying to work on a tablet.

For now maybe. But it's nice that there's a move in this direction. I'm sure it will evolve over the next several years and tablets will just get more powerful.

Even just the idea of culling from my ipad on the couch seems appealing.

Apr 08, 2014 at 06:58 PM
MRomine
• • •
p.1 #6 · Lightroom for iPad out now!

dhp_sf wrote:
For now maybe. But it's nice that there's a move in this direction. I'm sure it will evolve over the next several years and tablets will just get more powerful.

Even just the idea of culling from my ipad on the couch seems appealing.

They may get faster but they will never have the screen realist that a desktop does so that just seems painful to even think about trying to work that way.

My couch is reserved for naps, sports and the occasional movie as well as various tasty beverages and snacks. Any activity that begins with a 'W' and ends with 'K' is not permitted to be even near the couch.

Apr 08, 2014 at 07:07 PM
Robin Usagani
• • • •
p.1 #7 · Lightroom for iPad out now!

Sweet! Thanks for the info. Will download it tonight and test it out.

PS: Having an EDU email is awesome for Adobe CC

Apr 08, 2014 at 07:12 PM
ohsnaphappy
• • •
p.1 #8 · Lightroom for iPad out now!

Not too many people have actually used it yet. Here's my experience.

I made a new collection on my iMac called Ellen's Reception and I added 1034 images to the collection. The images synced to my iPad in mere seconds. Pretty impressive considering all of these shots were captured with the D800 and a few with the D700. My main goal here is culling. I use stars, so hopefully they'll add stars down the road, but flagging is fine for now. Culling goes pretty quick on the iPad, which is exactly what I hoped for. It will be nice to be able to cull through wedding galleries on the road or on a plane.

Keep in mind, unless you make the images available offline, you won't be able to see them if you lose LTE signal or WiFi. When I decided to make the 1034 images available offline, LR Mobile notified me I had 5.4gb of available space on my iPad Mini, and the collection I wanted to download would take up 1.7gb. Not bad! Downloading took quite a while, and it seemed to stop anytime my iPad went to sleep. Anyone know of a setting to keep the iPad downloading no matter what?

What about making adjustments? I have the old iPad mini, it's substantially slower than the new one, since mine doesn't have the A7 processor. So in my case, there's some noticeable lag when making adjustments. Cropping however was very quick, just like culling. The crop tool is superb.

Here's an annoyance though. If you don't download the images to your iPad, you don't technically have them. So what you're seeing is sent to you via WiFi or LTE. When you make an exposure adjustment, the image goes blurry for a bit, then comes back with the exposure adjustment applied. Not very snappy.

However, after downloading all 1034 images, adjustments went quite a bit quicker. They were very tolerable. And if you have the new iPad, I bet the adjustments will be instant.

How reliable are adjustments? I achieved very accurate exposure adjustments by setting my iPad brightness to half. Be sure to turn off auto screen brightness, just like you do on your Mac. Holding up the iPad next to my iMac, the iPad mimicked the exposure adjustments I saw on my iMac fairly well. I was satisfied. But this only applies to exposure. Color adjustments just aren't something I would advise, since my iMac is more saturated, you know? The color is just different between the two screens. But as for exposure adjustments, I feel safe making adjustments on my iPad and relying on them to mimic what I see on my iMac.

So why is any of this a good thing? Who cares? Well, if you have significant down time, instead of playing on Facebook, you can cull galleries with ease. That's a big time saver by itself. If you like, you can also make excellent crops, and fairly reliable exposure adjustments.

There are other features, quite a few honestly, but I've covered the features that appeal to me so far.

Things that are missing? Copying and pasting settings from one pic to another needs to be improved. The previous picture may not have the settings I want. For example, what if I want the settings from five pictures back? Right now you can't copy and paste like that...

Also, we need stars

Apr 09, 2014 at 12:16 AM
joelconner
• • • •
p.1 #9 · Lightroom for iPad out now!

So....even if you have LR5, you cannot use it unless you have a CC subscription?

Apr 09, 2014 at 01:20 AM
MRomine
• • •
p.1 #10 · Lightroom for iPad out now!

joelconner wrote:
So....even if you have LR5, you cannot use it unless you have a CC subscription?

That is my understanding.

Apr 09, 2014 at 03:02 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

MRomine
• • •
p.1 #11 · Lightroom for iPad out now!

ohsnaphappy wrote:
So why is any of this a good thing? Who cares? Well, if you have significant down time, instead of playing on Facebook, you can cull galleries with ease. That's a big time saver by itself. If you like, you can also make excellent crops, and fairly reliable exposure adjustments.

Maybe if you have nothing else to do but if you don't trust color adjustments on a tablet then that means you have to do a 2nd round on another machine later. Now you have just doubled your editing time. To me it all sounds like a pretty painful workflow.

Apr 09, 2014 at 03:06 AM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · Lightroom for iPad out now!

MRomine wrote:
I don't like attempting to do production work on a laptop I can't imagine trying to work on a tablet.

For sure! Desktop only. Working on couch = no.

Apr 09, 2014 at 03:46 AM
Robin Usagani
• • • •
p.1 #13 · Lightroom for iPad out now!

Just tried it. Pretty good! I will definitely cull on iPad.

Apr 09, 2014 at 05:13 AM
ohsnaphappy
• • •
p.1 #14 · Lightroom for iPad out now!

MRomine wrote:
Maybe if you have nothing else to do but if you don't trust color adjustments on a tablet then that means you have to do a 2nd round on another machine later. Now you have just doubled your editing time. To me it all sounds like a pretty painful workflow.

My shots almost never need color adjustment. They rarely need exposure adjustment. I just wanted to try it out to see how adjustments worked and what the results were like.

As far as culling is concerned, it's going to be cool to get off a plane knowing that I just culled a wedding gallery

Apr 09, 2014 at 05:56 AM
dhp_sf
• • •
p.1 #15 · Lightroom for iPad out now!

I always go through my stuff at least two-three times anyway. First initial cull (quickly get rid of rejects). Then a 2nd cull to pick the best of variants and a little closer look to reject more. Then a final edit pass where I actually make the majority of adjustments.

I could see my 2nd stage of culling done on an iPad.

Apr 09, 2014 at 06:15 AM
ai3x
• • • •
p.1 #16 · Lightroom for iPad out now!

Yeah I'm most keen on the culling ability. Looking at the videos though it doesn't look like they've made it as efficient or powerful in that way as I'd have thought.

Apr 09, 2014 at 11:16 AM
MRomine
• • •
p.1 #17 · Lightroom for iPad out now!

dhp_sf wrote:
I always go through my stuff at least two-three times anyway. First initial cull (quickly get rid of rejects). Then a 2nd cull to pick the best of variants and a little closer look to reject more. Then a final edit pass where I actually make the majority of adjustments.

I could see my 2nd stage of culling done on an iPad.

Culling and editing are two different processes. My goal, I only want to do each one of those one time if at all possible, especially editing. I might consider doing culling on a tablet if I was traveling lots. If I edited on a a tablet but could not trust color adjustments on a tablet because I could not trust the color of a tablet and then later had to pull those same images back into LR on a different machine then that is duplicating editing time that should have been accomplished the first time through. That is just not an acceptable workflow for me.

Similarly, I can't image any tablet without a key board to be as fast as culling on a desktop using PM.

Apr 09, 2014 at 01:38 PM
TTLKurtis
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · Lightroom for iPad out now!

I wish there was a natively supported hardware controller to tweak things like exposure, wb/temp, whites/blacks, etc... I have RPGKeys but there is some small amount of lag as the script performs its magic and it gets translated to an adjustment and then the changes have to render. I'd love to see something like the really expensive control systems they have for video editors... but you know... affordable.

Apr 09, 2014 at 06:02 PM
paparazzinick
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · Lightroom for iPad out now!

OK so we played today and it is awesome. not poerfect but pretty awesome and will come in handy.

7am we had a shoot with a client. We tether shot to our desktop. It then synced with the iPad out client and editor #1 had. They could select the good photos and reject the ones they didnt want.

While they did that, the pics whent back to the main machine where our editor #2 was sitting. He began to edit and they showed up back on the ipad as he edited the photos.

A few times the client wanted to see a different crop, so they cropped on the iPad and the editor #2 had them almost instanly on his machine. Before our client left, we were able to blast a few prints off, fully edited.

This is one instance where it will come in handy. As for if I were to cull on the ipad and then go to my main machine to edit, it might not be the most ideal way of doing this. But if I were to load up a few shoots and or weddings, then cull and crop on the go, then come back to the main machine later and edit and fine tune, that would make more sense.

Apr 09, 2014 at 07:07 PM
ai3x
• • • •
p.1 #20 · Lightroom for iPad out now!

TTLKurtis wrote:
I wish there was a natively supported hardware controller to tweak things like exposure, wb/temp, whites/blacks, etc... I have RPGKeys but there is some small amount of lag as the script performs its magic and it gets translated to an adjustment and then the changes have to render. I'd love to see something like the really expensive control systems they have for video editors... but you know... affordable.

Have you looked at PFixer with a midi pad? I have one and it kinda rocks.

Apr 09, 2014 at 10:49 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password