New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Archive 2014 · Lightroom Mobile

chez
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Lightroom Mobile

For people already on the CC plan...this is a nice addition for free. The first version has limited use, but I'm expecting much more enhanced use in versions to come. Can't complain...the price is right.

Apr 09, 2014 at 11:45 AM
Todd A

p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Lightroom Mobile

Keep in mind this was just released. For a v1 mobile app, it's solid. There will be lots of features coming. And for me, even the limited functionality will be useful as is.

Apr 09, 2014 at 02:37 PM
mogud
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Lightroom Mobile

arbitrage wrote:
I'll add a bit of info about RAW files as I tried to test this yesterday. I imported 2 RAW files and 3 files shot in RAW+jpeg through the camera connection kit into the iPads photo app. It gave a message for the 3 RAW+jpeg that it was only importing one of the two but didn't say which one (however I confirmed it is only importing the jpeg in that case). Then opening LR mobile, I tried making a new collection and adding to an existing one I had synced earlier from my laptop. LR mobile doesn't even see the
...Show more

This is great information Geoff. Your testing answered all my questions and concerns about this app. I have to agree that the app is not there yet. I think I will go with Photosmith until LR Mobile catches up. At least Photosmith, from what I'm reading, will move RAW files from the camera to the iPad and then to Lr as a Collection. Photosmith can rate, color label and sync Lr with.

Thank you for all your efforts.

Edited on Apr 10, 2014 at 07:05 AM · View previous versions

Apr 09, 2014 at 03:07 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Lightroom Mobile

mogud wrote:
This is great information Geoff. Your testing answered all my questions and concerns about this app. I have to agree that the app is not there yet. I think I will go with Photosmith until LR Mobile catches up. At least Photosmith, from what I'm reading, will move RAW files from the camera to the iPad and then to Lr as a Collection. Photosmith can rate, color label and sync Lr with the iPad.

Thank you for all your efforts.

tried Photosmith (many times) and just found it a pain to actually use .

on the face of it it should be a winner . you sync collections to it , you can import files from the camera roll . you can Pick/Rate/Keyword your images and sync them back (infact its great for keywording)

But there are just so many issues that really got to me . the main ones being:

1: Its still prone to crashing . its better than it used to be (in the early versions it was unusable) but it still crashes far to often .

2: Syncing HAS to be done over wifi . Ive had many email conversations with the developers and they just say its a restriction of the ios . well that maybe true , but if your trying to sync more than a few images at a time then sync over WIFI is at best really slow but will more likely fail more than once due to either the app crashing or the ipad going to sleep or a glitch in the connection .

Apr 09, 2014 at 04:13 PM
gnohzwd

p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Lightroom Mobile

arbitrage wrote:
I'll add a bit of info about RAW files as I tried to test this yesterday. I imported 2 RAW files and 3 files shot in RAW+jpeg through the camera connection kit into the iPads photo app. It gave a message for the 3 RAW+jpeg that it was only importing one of the two but didn't say which one (however I confirmed it is only importing the jpeg in that case). Then opening LR mobile, I tried making a new collection and adding to an existing one I had synced earlier from my laptop. LR mobile doesn't even see the
...Show more

Hi arbitrage,
I have a question. You mentioned that it's possible to transfer RAW+JPG to your iPad and use LR mobile to import the JPGs for selection and editing. However, is it possible to sync the changes to the desktop master copies after transferring the RAWs to the desktop at a later date?

Thanks for any input

Apr 10, 2014 at 11:23 PM
Sirfishalot
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Lightroom Mobile

The mobile app seems pretty intriguing considering it a 1.0 release. What Im not seeing besides the key wording feature is the ability to sharpen or perform noise reduction. Also, it seems that if you apply a lens correction profile on the desktop version when you do any adjustment in mobile those are lost. I use a profile to correct the distortion from the Rokinon 14mm an as soon as I modify the image in the mobile app that correction gets removed. I just purchased the LR5 upgrade, but am strongly considering getting a refund and going instead for the CC subscription largely for the possibilities on the horizon for the mobile app.

JayT

May 11, 2014 at 11:26 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Lightroom Mobile

Sirfishalot wrote:
The mobile app seems pretty intriguing considering it a 1.0 release. What Im not seeing besides the key wording feature is the ability to sharpen or perform noise reduction.

JayT

Jay ,
you have to remember that the LRmobile app is using Smart previews.
As a LR5 user that uses Smart previews on my MS surface Pro a lot the 2 things you really dont want to be doing are SHARPEN and NR .

a smart preview is essentially a Lower Res DNG file . the resolution (assuming the file started bigger) is reduced to 2540 pixels on the long edge (and its compressed) .
for most things thats more than enough resolution . I have exported and posted from smart previews to things like Flickr and most of the time its more than enough .
but if your doing Sharpening and/or NR you will be much better to do that on the full size file . also as the res is small then zooming into 1:1 is also compromised .
But those are the only real downsides to Smart Previews . the upsides are much more .

at the moment im not tempted to go with the LRmobile App as I find working on the surface Pro works very well (altough LR could be made much more touchscreen friendly)
but had Adobe brought out the app a few months ago I think i would have been an early adopter, as even as a 1.0 gen App it looks a much better option than Photosmith (which has/Had lots of potential but always managed to infuriate me )

May 11, 2014 at 12:30 PM
Batty_F

p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Lightroom Mobile

The desktop version of Lightroom has a watermarking feature, but I don't see anything like that in Lightroom Mobile. Seems like a glaring omission since when you're in the field with a timely photo that you want to Tweet out, it needs to be watermarked for the photographer to get any credit for it.

May 11, 2014 at 01:53 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Lightroom Mobile

Batty_F wrote:
The desktop version of Lightroom has a watermarking feature, but I don't see anything like that in Lightroom Mobile. Seems like a glaring omission since when you're in the field with a timely photo that you want to Tweet out, it needs to be watermarked for the photographer to get any credit for it.

again your talking about a 1.0 release . im sure stuff like that would get added .

dont Adobe have a forum/thread where stuff like that can be suggested?

May 11, 2014 at 02:07 PM
Emile Gregoire
• • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Lightroom Mobile

Batty_F wrote:

I've never watermarked any of my images so "a glaring omission" is kind of subjective...

May 11, 2014 at 04:26 PM
OntheRez
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Lightroom Mobile

Geoff, Ian, and others,

I'm trying to get a grasp on what value Lr mobile actually provides. (Yes, Ian I know it's v.1.0 which is both a +/- I currently use a MacAir with a full copy of Lr on it. On long/big shoots, I ingest RAWs via the USB port and an adapter and can buzz thru the day/session deleting the 80-90% that don't warrant further consideration. This frees up the cards for further use and I don't have to carry a stack of cards nor try to remember what was where. When I get back to the shop I connect the Air via Ethernet and pull the surviving images into my real Lr catalog.

Okay, Lr Mobile doesn't import RAW? If this is true then I still have to retain the original card and repeat the entire download sequence when it gets back to my main computer. So, I'm trying to understand what value this application brings to an extended shoot. I never expect to edit on an Air (much less and iPad), but I would expect to be able to sort/cull then download.

Someone help me out here. Is this really designed to get one's cellphone snaps up on Facebook fast or does it have value for "real" (I use the term tongue in cheek) photographers?

Robert

May 12, 2014 at 10:04 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Lightroom Mobile

Robert
Probably nothing for you (or indeed me).

Where mobile wins is the ability to edit your full LR on the move . by creating the mobile collection(s) you have access to those collections on your ipad .

you can do the same (as I do) by creating smart previews of any images you want to mobile edit and then work on them while on your MBA (or surface in my case)

it took me a while but I worked out the best workflow for me .
I spend lots of time away from my main machine (sometimes work is just being on site waiting) so I have all my picked/rated images smart previewed .
I then copy those previews over to a memory stick along with the LRcat File .
I can then mess around with my images as and when I need/want . and when im back at my imac I just have to copy the lrcat file back to the mac and carry on from there (once a smart preview is created you don't need to change it)

that works great for me , but also beyond that I can import new raw files to my surface while im out shooting (did this on a trip a few weeks ago) and as long as I have a backup hard drive with me I can delete the images from my cards .
then I just have to move the images over to the imac when I get home .

that recent trip I had most of the initial culling and some edits (crops etc) done before I got to my mac .

Like I said had I not had the surface I would probably gone for the Lrmobile method as it would do much of what I require .
the importing of new images I must admit im not sure of . I know its not importing RAW which is a bit of a downside .

May 12, 2014 at 11:03 AM
dmi211

p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Lightroom Mobile

I hate that so much software is heading towards a subscription based model

May 13, 2014 at 09:38 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Lightroom Mobile

I'm struggling to see how the hardware can support decent performance. How long does it take to convert a folder of 1000 RAW files to 16-bit TIFFs for example?

EBH

May 14, 2014 at 12:25 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Lightroom Mobile

EB-1 wrote:
I'm struggling to see how the hardware can support decent performance. How long does it take to convert a folder of 1000 RAW files to 16-bit TIFFs for example?

EBH

I dont get what you're asking EB .

if your asking how long it would take an IPAD to convert 1000 RAW files to Tiffs ? then I think you're totally missing the application of mobile .

1st, you're not going to have a 1000 RAW files on the ipad . Ipad and RAW dont mix well in the first place . why waste all that valuable Apple space with RAW files.

2nd mobile gets its SYNCED images from the ones that have been synced to the cloud from the main LR machine . IE you're home one . These are SMART PREVIEWS , which as I said before are Lower RES compressed .DNG files .
so even if you were to create a 1000 tiffs from those (again not sure why ) then the ipad is dealing with a much smaller file in the first place .

Mobile is aimed much more at those that want to do some edits while away from the main LR machine .
ie when stuck on the train or waiting for you're flight (or even ON the flight if you've downloaded the files) rather than someone who wants to import 1000's of RAW files and export them (heck from a ipad the slowest part of the chain if export all those TIFF files is going to be the upload to the file storage ie the CLOUD ) .

May 14, 2014 at 01:49 AM
dhachey
• • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Lightroom Mobile

I'm pretty much underwhelmed. The iPad is the wrong platform to do any serious editing, or even culling. Too small, limited storage, slow processor, and I have fat fingers. I'll stick with LR and PS CC on the 27" iMac or 15" retina display MBP. I originally resisted the subscription model for the Adobe products, but then I did the math and decided to go with it. Not too bad for what you get, and I can use it on all my devices.

...Dave

May 14, 2014 at 03:20 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Lightroom Mobile

EB-1 wrote:

EBH

Ian.Dobinson wrote:
I dont get what you're asking EB .

if your asking how long it would take an IPAD to convert 1000 RAW files to Tiffs ? then I think you're totally missing the application of mobile .

1st, you're not going to have a 1000 RAW files on the ipad . Ipad and RAW dont mix well in the first place . why waste all that valuable Apple space with RAW files.

2nd mobile gets its SYNCED images from the ones that have been synced to the cloud from the main LR machine . IE you're home one . These are SMART PREVIEWS
...Show more

Wow, that is an incredibly complex and unproductive solution to a problem caused by inappropriate hardware. An i5 or i7 with local SSD storage can do so much more without the hassle factor and not be dependent on the unreliable cell and internet.

EBH

May 14, 2014 at 10:30 PM
butchM
• • • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Lightroom Mobile

Ian.Dobinson wrote:
Mobile is aimed much more at those that want to do some edits while away from the main LR machine .

That is why this offering is missing the boat ... Adobe is developing an app for yesterday when they should be looking at tomorrow..

I don't need to convert hundreds or thousands of RAW images to TIFF with my iPad in the field. I don't think anyone really expects an iPad to replace a traditional computer ... just yet ...

What I would like to do is load images in the field, sort, rate, label keyword, annotate and caption ... export a few to clients or blog ... then sync that work created in the field with the main library upon return. I perform this work now using an iPad ... though I use other software options ... It would be nice tot to have to replicate the effort after the assignment.

Certainly the iPad has the resources for completing such basic tasks ... in fact the G4 tower I first ran Lightroom v1 on when it was first released had less computing power.

The bouncing back and forth, to and fro with Smart Previews seems a bit redundant and pointless.

May 15, 2014 at 09:52 AM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Lightroom Mobile

This is version 1 of mobile LR. Yes it is limited and am expecting much more going forward...but sure can't complain about the pricing.

May 15, 2014 at 03:01 PM
butchM
• • • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Lightroom Mobile

chez wrote:
...but sure can't complain about the pricing.

I agree ... there is good reason some apps are "free" ...

May 15, 2014 at 05:36 PM
       3       end

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.