Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Hendrik, Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Lightroom Mobile

Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Lightroom Mobile

well Adobe finally released LR Mobile http://www.engadget.com/2014/04/08/lightroom-mobile/

looks really interesting .

But:
the HUGE BUT is you have to be a CC subscriber to use it
in truth I thought they would go down this route . and it doe almost sell the CC thing to me . but I still object to having to buy CC for LR as I dont use PS for much .

Apr 08, 2014 at 07:13 AM
silverfox9142

p.1 #2 · Lightroom Mobile

I feel it's just part of Adobe's quest to control all that like and use their software. It's similar to Microsoft and their new IOS entry with a subscription needed to Office 365 to use Office on the iPad and iPhone.

Apr 08, 2014 at 11:13 AM
Todd A

p.1 #3 · Lightroom Mobile

I've been falling behind the last few years, and only this week did I realize that Lightroom 5 existed, and I just heard about LR Mobile this morning. I updated to 5.4, and downloaded the iPad app, and checking it out now.

I've not been over everything thoroughly, but I must say, I am pretty impressed, especially for a 1.0 release. This app is going to help me out for sure. It's also going to cost me, because now I want to trade up from the iPad Mini to an Air.

Apr 08, 2014 at 11:42 AM
theroadtaken
• • •
p.1 #4 · Lightroom Mobile

I can understand if you are not interested in subscription software how this might rub you the wrong way. But for those of use who have taken advantage of the $9.99 for Photoshop and Lightroom this feels like a really nice add on with no price increase. If having the subscription means that Adobe will keep adding cool features like this, then I think the value of the subscription will just increase over time.

As for the app itself, I am still syncing photos but the demos look impressive. If nothing else I will be able to cull my shots from the couch at night instead of sitting in my office.

Just my thoughts

Chris

Apr 08, 2014 at 12:19 PM
paparazzinick
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · Lightroom Mobile

Just downloaded it and I think this is going to be awesome. I have CS5 Design Premium and really only wanted to keep photoshop but did not want to pay all the money to upgrade the suit. So for $10 a month I get CS6 and LR5 and iPad app, I am a happy dude

I like how I can do basic editing, culling and organizing from the ipad, then my designer can fine tune and airbrush from the mac. I am going to play later when my designer gets in and test some stuff out.

Apr 08, 2014 at 01:21 PM
imeh

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · Lightroom Mobile

I am thinking that if you are concerned with color mgmt this may be somewhat fruitless... maybe im wrong.

Apr 08, 2014 at 06:09 PM
tomrock
• • •
p.1 #7 · Lightroom Mobile

imeh wrote:
I am thinking that if you are concerned with color mgmt this may be somewhat fruitless... maybe im wrong.

I don't think anyone is suggesting high-end retouching with this app -- just culling and getting a start when your computer isn't available. Maybe when you're on a plane or something.

Apr 08, 2014 at 08:26 PM
recdaco

p.1 #8 · Lightroom Mobile

One thing that seems really confusing based on the marketing descriptions is whether this can be used on a trip to download your photos from your DSLR to the iPad, and start making basic modifications. On the one hand they say you can import photos from the camera roll, but they also say you can't download from your DSLR. Has anybody tried this out? It's the one feature that would make me switch over to the subscription model.

Apr 08, 2014 at 10:31 PM
silverfox9142

p.1 #9 · Lightroom Mobile

recdaco wrote:
One thing that seems really confusing based on the marketing descriptions is whether this can be used on a trip to download your photos from your DSLR to the iPad, and start making basic modifications. On the one hand they say you can import photos from the camera roll, but they also say you can't download from your DSLR. Has anybody tried this out? It's the one feature that would make me switch over to the subscription model.

The newer iPads have a lightning port and one for earphones so I'm not sure how that would work. I know Apple has dongles that go from Lightning to USB, to FireWire or to ethernet so I'm not sure how one would import from your dSLR.

Apr 08, 2014 at 11:09 PM
recdaco

p.1 #10 · Lightroom Mobile

silverfox9142 wrote:
The newer iPads have a lightning port and one for earphones so I'm not sure how that would work. I know Apple has dongles that go from Lightning to USB, to FireWire or to ethernet so I'm not sure how one would import from your dSLR.

Getting the pictures into the camera roll isn't a problem. The lightning to SD adapter would facilitate that. But I'm confused what happens once they are in the camera roll. Will it freak out over 36MP raw files? And if it's smart enough to just create smart previews for them, how do you get the originals back in your desktop LR catalog.

If anyone feels like giving this a try and reporting back, that'd be awesome.

Apr 08, 2014 at 11:21 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Todd A

p.1 #11 · Lightroom Mobile

The mobile app simply syncs previews from an already existing library; it's not intended to be a standalone iOS app. I'm pretty sure you won't want to be dealing with vacation photos "in the field" on an iPad, unless you have very short vacations, or a terabyte-sized iPad.

Apr 09, 2014 at 04:59 AM
15Bit
• • • •
p.1 #12 · Lightroom Mobile

Ipad only? No interest to me then...

Apr 09, 2014 at 05:27 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · Lightroom Mobile

recdaco wrote:
Getting the pictures into the camera roll isn't a problem. The lightning to SD adapter would facilitate that. But I'm confused what happens once they are in the camera roll. Will it freak out over 36MP raw files? And if it's smart enough to just create smart previews for them, how do you get the originals back in your desktop LR catalog.

If anyone feels like giving this a try and reporting back, that'd be awesome.

I dont know if it will import actual RAW files .

the camera connection kit could get RAW's into your ipad's photos app .
actually if it could build a smart preview instead of importing the real raw file into the LR mobile I would see that as a bonus . Actual RAW on an ipad takes up too much space . if you had a smart preview of it you could delete the real raw file and import that from your card when you get back to your desk .

Photosmith which is the closest anyone has come to a LR mobile before the Adobe one sort of does this . its not a smart preview that it imports into the app though , its a snapshot of the image (probably the embbedded jpeg) , and as photosmith does not edit (its for keywords and ratings etc) thats not an issue .

Apr 09, 2014 at 06:22 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · Lightroom Mobile

OK a question for you .

ive been mulling it over and yes while it still irks me that ive already bought LR5 twice , i am considering the Photog's CC pack . 9.00 (ish) per month is sensible money , and yes I have a fall back f the LR5 and CS6 i already have if they stuff the price up after a year .
so if i was to trial CC would I be allowed to do so as I already have a Licence for LR5 , but had already done the trial on LR5 ?

Apr 09, 2014 at 06:28 AM
arbitrage
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · Lightroom Mobile

I'll add a bit of info about RAW files as I tried to test this yesterday. I imported 2 RAW files and 3 files shot in RAW+jpeg through the camera connection kit into the iPads photo app. It gave a message for the 3 RAW+jpeg that it was only importing one of the two but didn't say which one (however I confirmed it is only importing the jpeg in that case). Then opening LR mobile, I tried making a new collection and adding to an existing one I had synced earlier from my laptop. LR mobile doesn't even see the RAW files at all, only the jpegs. I had to open the RAW file in the photo app, edit it, save it to a brand new folder in the photo app and then it showed up but of course this was now a jpeg version of that original RAW file. So it doesn't work as the first stage of RAW imports.

I also tested that you can create new collections on the iPad and add photos from the iPad and they automatically sync down to LR. In LR a new collection set is created called "From LR Mobile" and in that Collection Set will be the Collection you created in LR mobile (named however you named it).

I think a major thing missing is no key wording feature in LR mobile. Actually, I find the program fairly useless to me, the only thing I may use it for is to have a LR mobile collection in LR to add my best photos to and have them show up on the iPad to show people. But there are so many other ways to do this already that it really doesn't seem to groundbreaking. Maybe others will find a useful workflow for it. I thought I maybe could use it to sync up a days shooting and then sort/reject on the iPad but it takes so much time to sync everything and lots of space on the iPad and most of my shoots involve 500-1000 photos a day (BIF) where I usually delete 80-90% in the end so this wouldn't work for me either. Right now LR mobile is a glorified gallery app in its present state.

Apr 09, 2014 at 02:13 PM
colorado_photo

p.1 #16 · Lightroom Mobile

Too bad it is Ipad only

Apr 09, 2014 at 02:24 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · Lightroom Mobile

arbitrage wrote:
I'll add a bit of info about RAW files as I tried to test this yesterday. I imported 2 RAW files and 3 files shot in RAW+jpeg through the camera connection kit into the iPads photo app. It gave a message for the 3 RAW+jpeg that it was only importing one of the two but didn't say which one (however I confirmed it is only importing the jpeg in that case).

thats interesting . its been a long time since ive imported RAW+Jpeg into the ipad but it always used to import both files and there was no option to either choose the file being imported or split the 2 files when they were in the camera roll so that you could delete just the RAW file .

I'll have to have a look later . Its was one of my biggest issues i had with the ipad as a photo device.

Apr 09, 2014 at 02:45 PM
OccAeon
• • •
p.1 #18 · Lightroom Mobile

I don't see how this app will be very useful for culling. To get photos into it, it appears that you have to add them to Lightroom on a desktop, then add them to a collection, then sync that collection to Adobe's Creative Cloud service, then sync them down to your iPad. I don't know about you, but my SD cards are typically about 20-30GB full when I upload them to the computer. I'm not about to upload and download 30GB of files to and from Creative Cloud just to sort through pictures on an iPad.

Apr 09, 2014 at 03:33 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · Lightroom Mobile

OccAeon wrote:
I don't see how this app will be very useful for culling. To get photos into it, it appears that you have to add them to Lightroom on a desktop, then add them to a collection, then sync that collection to Adobe's Creative Cloud service, then sync them down to your iPad. I don't know about you, but my SD cards are typically about 20-30GB full when I upload them to the computer. I'm not about to upload and download 30GB of files to and from Creative Cloud just to sort through pictures on an iPad.

well yes thats true to a point .
you will have to import them into LR5 and you will have to add them to a collection (not sure why these collections cant be smart collections, but maybe thats to come.)
and yes you will need to click the button that sends them to the cloud .

but all that can be done quickly and easily . you can drag an entire folder to the collections and it becomes a collection .

But you wont be downloading 30gigs of files to your ipad just to sort them .

1: this works via SMART PREVIEWS . smart previews are small compressed DNG files . they are fully editable but as they are a smaller res they are only about 1mb each .
Smart previews are one of the best feature of LR5 when you want to work mobile . the cloud thing on the ipad makes them even better .

2: you dont have to bring them down to your ipad to work them . if you have an internet collection (wifi by default , but you can use your 3/4g data connection if you want) you leave the files in the cloud . you can sync them down to the ipad if you want to work the offline .

Apr 09, 2014 at 04:01 PM
butchM
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · Lightroom Mobile

While it is true that you can save time and space via the use of Smart Previews ... for me, the iPad app is nearly completely useless if you can't rate, label or add keywords ...

I'm not about to jump on the perpetual monthly payment merry-go-round just so I can choose picks and rejects using a tablet. I'm also not going to pay Adobe in advance on the speculation for features I may desire which they may or may not add at some point in the future. That is the crux of the fault of the rental system. Pay forever for features you already have ... in the hope they will add additional value in the future. I much prefer to reward developers for what they actually offer now ... not blindly underwrite their efforts for what may come to pass. If I want to gamble ... I'll plan a trip to Vegas.

Apr 09, 2014 at 04:26 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password