Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · What is going on with this image?

joekraft
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · What is going on with this image?

Is there something going on with this image, along the lines of LoCA or some other known physical phenomena, or is it just harsh bokeh on the edge of critical focus in bright light?

The reason I ask is that this is the first time I've noticed something like this with this lens/camera. It is a wide open shot, and in every other w.o. shot I have from this lens, it's fine, and holds up to its reputation as a sharp lens.

Looking at this, I was surprised. The critical focus was on the vertical handlebar stem, but looking at the detail, you see the area in front of it almost looks like it is ghosting, not just out of focus.

Is this sensor bloom and I just don't know it, something else, or something else as in bad skillz? Thanks.

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2839/13710642793_4bf9430fd0_o.jpg

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3694/13710631993_1fbce83254_o.jpg

Apr 08, 2014 at 01:41 AM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · What is going on with this image?

The right handgrip is sharp. This is just narrow depth of field.

Apr 08, 2014 at 02:27 AM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · What is going on with this image?

carstenw wrote:
The right handgrip is sharp. This is just narrow depth of field.

and spherical aberration, loCA, and various types of flare. fast lenses are never really at their best in direct bright sunlight.

Apr 08, 2014 at 03:13 AM
sculptormic
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · What is going on with this image?

Which (fast)lens is it?

Apr 08, 2014 at 03:28 AM
AhamB
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · What is going on with this image?

joekraft wrote:
Is there something going on with this image, along the lines of LoCA or some other known physical phenomena, or is it just harsh bokeh on the edge of critical focus in bright light?

[...]

Is this sensor bloom and I just don't know it, something else, or something else as in bad skillz?

Just FYI: If you do some reading around the web, you'll notice that no one who knows what they are talking about uses the word "sensor bloom", which seems to be a term made up by people who were disappointed to see aberrations in digital images that they didn't see on film.

Anyway, I think your initial idea was correct: in brightly sunlit scenes residual aberrations become more apparent and high contrast can make for harsh bokeh.

Apr 08, 2014 at 08:38 AM
joekraft
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · What is going on with this image?

Thanks guys. I figured it was just a situational thing. I have plenty of wide open shots that look fine with this lens, and plenty of wide open shots from fast lenses that look worse - but all around the scooter there is like a pink veil, besides the 'ghosting' of the handlebars in front of the critical focus - just a really weird effect I hadn't encountered before. I guess it was a perfect storm of intense color, bright light, and pushing the lens performance.

This was the 32 mm touit. I know it isn't considered world-class, and 1.8 isn't all that wide comparatively, but like I said, I have plenty of wide open shots that are just pin sharp, so this shot made me wonder.

AhamB - I think I knew it wasn't a 'real' thing, but I'll do some reading up on it anyhow. Thanks.

Apr 10, 2014 at 12:50 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.