Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       5       end

Archive 2014 · I'll be disappearing for a while...

amonline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · I'll be disappearing for a while...

Well, as I receive PMs from some of you from time to time, I thought I'd post that I was not going to be around very often in the coming months... perhaps year(s).

Last week, I received the unfortunate news that I am in stage 5 kidney failure. In the past week, I've had to do a lot to prepare for dialysis beginning in the next 30-60 days.

It pains me to have to take a break from something I love so much. I chose to cancel my remaining 2014 reservations as I simply cannot know what is coming in the months ahead. Helping my clients find replacements hasn't really helped. While I feel good about helping them in every way I can by offering recommendations, answering questions, and checking out possible replacements, it's hard to watch them move on with other photographers.

Many told me I should wait; that I would feel better on dialysis. Perhaps they are right to a degree, but I do not feel I can take such a chance with my clients. That "call" could come today, tomorrow, or in a year.. or five. Point is, I wouldn't feel right gambling with the most important day in their lives.

I won't be doing any shooting at all during this time. In fact, I sold off my only two bodies to help with the refunds. I made a promise to my family to keep the rest in hopes I can return to the helm in the near future. God willing, I will find a way to replace them after whatever lies ahead, and be able to return to this wonderful life. I really mean that. If you do something you love, it's not a job.

So, a couple of things...

If you're in, or work, the NE Florida area, let me know. I'm looking for reputable photographers to feel happy about recommending in the St. Augustine area. (some emails this past week really showed me there are not of immediate options IMO)

Second, never take your health for granted. It can be gone in an instant. As wedding photographers, we all know how hard this work is on our bodies. Don't be blind to it.

- Alan

Apr 07, 2014 at 06:55 PM
TTLKurtis
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · I'll be disappearing for a while...

Oh man... sorry to hear about your health Alan. I hope that others are right and you will feel much better once you're on dialysis and that things take an upswing from there...

I'm not in Florida, but if it would be of help I've got a bunch of Southwest points and could travel on the cheap for one or two of your clients - obviously it's ideal if there's someone local of course.

Best of luck with everything, and I hope to see you back here sooner than later, in good health and doing what you love again.

Apr 07, 2014 at 07:00 PM
dhp_sf
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · I'll be disappearing for a while...

Really sorry to hear this Alan! I hope you recover smoothly. I have friends in Jacksonville/St. Augustine I wouldn't mind visiting so if there are any dates in November/December that I could help out with let me know.

Best of luck to you.

Apr 07, 2014 at 07:06 PM
canerino
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · I'll be disappearing for a while...

Best wishes my man!

Apr 07, 2014 at 07:08 PM
joelconner
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · I'll be disappearing for a while...

Prayers your way, mate...so sorry to hear about the difficulties. Our schedule is pretty full this year, but if you are in a pinch, be sure to post a date here and I am sure I or someone can help you out.

Apr 07, 2014 at 07:09 PM
widjayaman
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · I'll be disappearing for a while...

So sorry to hear about this man. Praying that the Dialysis will be effective and you'll feel better soon! Please take care.

Apr 07, 2014 at 07:21 PM
ckhagen
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · I'll be disappearing for a while...

Alan, I'm so sorry to hear that. Please focus on getting better. If I can help in any way, just let me know!

Apr 07, 2014 at 07:25 PM
johnrg
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · I'll be disappearing for a while...

I hope you get well soon, Alan. I have some availability in the fall and might be able to help out as well.

Apr 07, 2014 at 07:37 PM
Scott Mosher
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · I'll be disappearing for a while...

Dang, sorry to hear that. I wish you luck. Your health is more important that shooting the weddings.

Apr 07, 2014 at 07:55 PM
BigIronCruiser
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · I'll be disappearing for a while...

Sorry to hear about your health issues, and praying that there are better days ahead for you & your family. One of my clients has been on home dialysis for a year or so, and she seems to be rocking along.

We're a short 4 hours away, so let me know if you need coverage.

Apr 07, 2014 at 08:01 PM
SloPhoto
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · I'll be disappearing for a while...

best of luck finding some path towards recovery or normalcy.

Apr 07, 2014 at 08:11 PM
nextelbuddy
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · I'll be disappearing for a while...

Very sorry to hear about your health issues. Take care of yourself first so that you can come back better and stronger than ever! You are doing the right thing, very standup.

Apr 07, 2014 at 08:18 PM
hieuhef

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · I'll be disappearing for a while...

It takes a lot of guts to do what you're doing. Wishing you the best in your recovery.

Apr 07, 2014 at 08:23 PM
Phyl
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · I'll be disappearing for a while...

Alan, so sorry to hear about your illness and that it is taking you away from something you love. You'll be in my thoughts and prayers. Hopefully you're able to get back behind a camera in no time. I hope you feel better than you thought was possible.

Apr 07, 2014 at 08:28 PM
Inku Yo
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · I'll be disappearing for a while...

Oh man... I'm sorry to hear this, brother. I'd be happy to help out to cover some of your weddings.

Apr 07, 2014 at 08:56 PM
joshua grasso
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · I'll be disappearing for a while...

Best wishes on the recovery Alan. Im in Georgia and getting to florida is no problem for me if you need any help. Good luck with everything.

Apr 07, 2014 at 09:01 PM
mineymole
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · I'll be disappearing for a while...

Wishing you the best. Please stay in touch with us.

Apr 07, 2014 at 09:06 PM
jcolman
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · I'll be disappearing for a while...

My thoughts are with you and I wish you a very speedy recovery! I can only imagine what you are going thru with your illness. The fact that you put others best interests before your own speaks volumes to your character. I'm only a days drive from N. Florida plus I have friends and family nearby so if I can be of any help, I would be glad to offer assistance.

Apr 07, 2014 at 09:58 PM
popinvasion
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · I'll be disappearing for a while...

Godbless you Alan.

Apr 07, 2014 at 10:31 PM
Tony Hoffer
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · I'll be disappearing for a while...

Aw man. Terrible news. Feel better soon and good luck with everything over the next few months.

Apr 07, 2014 at 10:40 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.