New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · question about D800 warranty service

ronno
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · question about D800 warranty service

1. Will they look at / repair the Left AF issue without fee if the camera is out of warranty?

2. I am wondering if this class action business has led them to soften on the rash of "impact damage" assessments.

These two issues are the only reason I am hesitating about a D800 purchase. Thanks.

Edited on Apr 07, 2014 at 10:33 PM · View previous versions

Apr 07, 2014 at 04:42 PM
cambyses
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · question about D800 warranty service

On the first issue, I have heard that for those with left AF issue, the focus using left focus points can be so much off that it would be fairly easy to identify the problem with a quick test. So perhaps you can just ask whoever you are buying from to test it for you, or if you buy locally, you can do a quick test yourself before buying it. And if you buy used from any of the reputable stores, I am sure they would test it for you, or else you can return.

Apr 07, 2014 at 04:58 PM
ronno
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · question about D800 warranty service

Yeah I am going to try it out, but thought if it is subtle I will be sitting there doing lens calibration, etc...it could be a while.

Apr 07, 2014 at 05:54 PM
jigesh
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · question about D800 warranty service

ronno wrote:
1. Will they look at / repair the Left AF issue without fee if the camera is out of warranty?

2. I am wondering if this class action business has led them to soften on the rash of "impact damage" assessments.

These two issues are the only reason I am hesitating about a D800 purchase. Thanks.

My guess would be "No" to both.

Apr 07, 2014 at 06:37 PM
cambyses
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · question about D800 warranty service

ronno wrote:
Yeah I am going to try it out, but thought if it is subtle I will be sitting there doing lens calibration, etc...it could be a while.

There will be no need for any lens calibration: (a) if it has the issue, the problem will be somewhat obvious when you compare the focus quality of your center point with your left points and (b) Lens calibration (i.e., micro AF adjustment) would not even be applicable here. That is because you will want to compare the focus quality of your left focus points with your center points. But micro AF adjustment is done using a given focus point (typically the center one, but technically could be any of the focus points). And so, lets say if you use one of your left AF points to come up with a micro adjustment value, and if your camera has the left AF issue, then your micro adjustment will actually screw up your focus when using your center point.

Apr 07, 2014 at 06:50 PM
ronno
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · question about D800 warranty service

Cambyses, this is true, but it can be hard to judge which is best when looking at two unsharp images. It helps if at least one of them is sharp. Thus I mentioned the focus calibration...

Apr 07, 2014 at 07:48 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.