New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2014 · :Updated: Think my MDP has died ? help advice please

Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · :Updated: Think my MDP has died ? help advice please

so i fear the worst has happened . I think my much loved 80-200L has shuffled off and died .
the Zoom has jammed solid (any advice on a fix much appreciated) . as Im in the UK i very much doubt im going to find a good repair centre to look at it (again any pointers with this appreciated) .

So fearing the worst I may have to look for a suitable replacement .
the obvious choice would be the IS Mk2 . , but that could be out of budget at the moment . has anyone gone from a MDP to any of the other options (2.8 Non IS, Sigma OS, Tamron VC) and still been very happy with the end results ?

Edited on Apr 29, 2014 at 09:10 AM · View previous versions

Apr 07, 2014 at 11:47 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · :Updated: Think my MDP has died ? help advice please

Sad news, Ian.

I went from a MDP to 70-200/2.8L IS, which I used for many years. The Mk II is definitely better in many useful ways, but the Mk I is decent, too. OTOH, if you need sharp into the corners, then the 70-200/2.8L might be for you. This is the only one of the 80-200L and 70-200L lenses I haven't owned (f/2.8 and f/4), but you can't ignore its excellent reputation.

It might be worth calling Fixation, maybe they'll handle an unsupported lens like the MDP.

http://www.fixationuk.com/Fixation/Repairs.html

Apr 07, 2014 at 12:00 PM
riokid
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · :Updated: Think my MDP has died ? help advice please

Ian,

Would it still autofocus and take pictures? If so, it seems that the pin(s) that rides/glides on a cam rail has gotten loose. It would not be too costly for a local guy to open it an tighten the screws back.

Maybe Roger Cicala would see this thread and chime in

Best of luck

riolid.

Apr 07, 2014 at 12:09 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · :Updated: Think my MDP has died ? help advice please

double entered

Edited on Apr 07, 2014 at 12:52 PM · View previous versions

Apr 07, 2014 at 12:34 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · :Updated: Think my MDP has died ? help advice please

riokid wrote:
Ian,

Would it still autofocus and take pictures? If so, it seems that the pin(s) that rides/glides on a cam rail has gotten loose. It would not be too costly for a local guy to open it an tighten the screws back.

Maybe Roger Cicala would see this thread and chime in

Best of luck

riolid.

Yeah it still functions fine on the AF and picture taking front .

I PM'ed Roger when it happened . He said pretty much the same thing . its stuck at about 120mm (not even a focal length I use much) as I was zooming from 80mm to 200mm .
from what Roger described there are 3 or 4 screws , but I can see the holes for these in the top part of the zoom ring (have removed the rubber) but its probably meant to rotate round to line those screws up which wont happen .

there is a plastic tab that also has a screw in it on the zoom ring which I can get to (does anyone know what this is for? )

Im going to have a look for a good repair option over here . I wonder if Fixation would touch an old lens ?

Apr 07, 2014 at 12:51 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · :Updated: Think my MDP has died ? help advice please

UPDATE :

well the news is not good . apparently the rear barrel inside is broken . doesn't look like its salvageable unless I find a donor lens (anyone know of a MDP that the motor has crapped out on or is fungal ?)

so now I need to find a replacement .

Budget is probably enough for
a 2.8L non IS , f4L IS or tamron 2.8 VC .

decisions decisions .
Tamron interests me but I dont know of any stockists that would have one I could try . Im not sure I want to stump up for a lens without trying it first .

f4 IS , interests me as its smaller/lighter and now Im on FF im not sure I HAVE to have 2.8 (although its nice) . I do also have the 120-300 OS that could be used as a 2.8 in that range . but its significantly bigger/heavier and not something id ever take out with me unless I was using it for a specific purpose (and even then I need a mono popod at least with me) .

any thoughts ?

Apr 29, 2014 at 09:10 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · :Updated: Think my MDP has died ? help advice please

The 70-200/4L IS is a fine lens.

Apr 29, 2014 at 09:21 AM
onegreatcity
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · :Updated: Think my MDP has died ? help advice please

jcolwell wrote:

+1. For me it followed my MDP and while not a direct replacement for contrast/colour, it was wonderfully sharp, very light and the IS worked a treat.

Apr 29, 2014 at 09:38 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · :Updated: Think my MDP has died ? help advice please

jcolwell wrote:

Yeah I know . its probably the sensible choice

I did just have a thought about doing things aother way that would probably get the mk2 IS .

If I sold the 120-300 that probably covers the mk2 . I would then need to get something long . obvious choice being the 400/5.6L and adding a 1.4TC (or the Tamron 600 zoom thing , but im still yet to be convinced by that )
from what ive seen the 400+1.4 plays well on a 5D3 with the f8 FW ?

Apr 29, 2014 at 09:41 AM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · :Updated: Think my MDP has died ? help advice please

My 2.8 non-IS is my most used lens by a mile. I'm more than pleased with it, though i have to admit to having no experience of the alternatives.

Apr 29, 2014 at 09:46 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · :Updated: Think my MDP has died ? help advice please

Sorry about that Ian.

Not trying to change your mind, but I wonder why you aren't replacing with another MDP? They are cheap enough. Otherwise, the 70-200/2.8L IS II seems the obvious choice except for its cost.

Apr 29, 2014 at 09:57 AM
jasonpatrick
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · :Updated: Think my MDP has died ? help advice please

I think your second option is a good one. The 1.4III will work amazing on the 70-200 MKII. IQ is basically as good as a 300mm f/4 IS prime (although AF isn't quite there). If you don't need 300mm 2.8, you'll be in good shape with that plus the 400mm prime.

Apr 29, 2014 at 10:16 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · :Updated: Think my MDP has died ? help advice please

Well, the 70-200/2.8L IS II is better. I have both of them, and use the Mk II a lot more often.

If you go for the Mk II you'll have no regrets. You might miss the MDP, but you won't regret getting the Mk II.

Apr 29, 2014 at 10:41 AM
PeaktoPeek
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · :Updated: Think my MDP has died ? help advice please

Bummer. I enjoyed shooting with my MDP a great deal. FWIW I replaced it with the f/4 IS -- which was perfect for general use/ landscapes which I shoot most often. If I shot more portraits and/or sports then I would have gotten the 2.8 non-IS.

Apr 29, 2014 at 11:31 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · :Updated: Think my MDP has died ? help advice please

Gunzorro wrote:
Sorry about that Ian.

Not trying to change your mind, but I wonder why you aren't replacing with another MDP? They are cheap enough. Otherwise, the 70-200/2.8L IS II seems the obvious choice except for its cost.

Gun , that was my first thought . I love the old pipe so much it would be tempting to just get another .

But while they are cheap they are not all that common over here now .
there are a few advertised on ebay , but at the moment there a few from Japan for about £450 but they could end up costing more when I factor in import duty / VAT (been bitten by that on a used lens before)

there's a spares/repair lens as well . Ive messaged the seller as there is no infor about its issue and I think he's started the auction very high (If that sells then maybe i will do the same ) . if he'd take a lower offer (as long as its a viable lens) then maybe my pipe will live again

But I guess the upshot is as good as the 80-200L is (and mine was fantastic) I do have to weigh up spending £450+ on a working example compared to £6-700 on either a 2.8 non IS or a F4 IS

Apr 29, 2014 at 11:34 AM
Richard Nye
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · :Updated: Think my MDP has died ? help advice please

Sorry about the lens, but I bet is makes a great 120 f/2.8 prime!

Apr 29, 2014 at 12:03 PM
lowa2
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · :Updated: Think my MDP has died ? help advice please

I've used the 70-200/4is, 70-200/2.8 (non is) and now the sigma 70-200OS. The sigma is my favorite so far.

Sorry to hear about your Pipe!

Charles

Apr 29, 2014 at 01:44 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · :Updated: Think my MDP has died ? help advice please

Ian.Dobinson wrote:
Gun , that was my first thought . I love the old pipe so much it would be tempting to just get another .

But while they are cheap they are not all that common over here now .
there are a few advertised on ebay , but at the moment there a few from Japan for about £450 but they could end up costing more when I factor in import duty / VAT (been bitten by that on a used lens before)

there's a spares/repair lens as well . Ive messaged the seller as there is no infor about its
...Show more

Makes sense! You'd have to find a real cheap one within the country to get a good used deal. I will say that f/2.8 makes a big difference in overall look and option to shoot in lower light. I tried an older Leica R 100/4 macro with adapter for Canon, but it was just too slow and noticeably better when stopped down one stop to f/5.6. That made it a bright sun kind of lens at low ISO.

Apr 29, 2014 at 02:40 PM
ggreene
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · :Updated: Think my MDP has died ? help advice please

I used a 70-200 2.8 non-IS for many years with a 1D2 and 1D4. The center IQ is very close to the IS II. It's only on FF bodies that the IS II really shines as it has the advantage edge to edge. I shoot sports and I have really not seen a great deal of difference between the two for AF speed or accuracy. If you can do without IS it is still a very solid lens.

Apr 29, 2014 at 02:47 PM
gel685
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · :Updated: Think my MDP has died ? help advice please

http://www.midstatecamerarepair.com/

They repaired my 20-35L of the same era. Not a short trip from the UK but they have many success stories here at FM.--Eric.

Apr 29, 2014 at 02:57 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.