New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2014 · SLR Gear reviews Sigma 50mm f1.4 A

fraga
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · SLR Gear reviews Sigma 50mm f1.4 A

The Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art is the most exciting lens we're likely to review this year. All competing lenses from Canon and Nikon fell short when compared to the resolving power of the 50mm Art.

http://slrgear.com/reviews/showproduct.php/product/1677/cat/29

P.S.
Canon mount tested only.

Apr 07, 2014 at 09:42 AM
Kell
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · SLR Gear reviews Sigma 50mm f1.4 A

stellar review, sounds amazing...but for me anyway, the cost and huge size and weight defeats the purpose of having a nifty fifty...50 1.8 G is here to stay

Apr 07, 2014 at 10:00 AM
BenV
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · SLR Gear reviews Sigma 50mm f1.4 A

Kell wrote:
stellar review, sounds amazing...but for me anyway, the cost and huge size and weight defeats the purpose of having a nifty fifty...50 1.8 G is here to stay

It's not meant to be a nifty fifty, what don't you people understand about this?

Apr 07, 2014 at 10:11 AM
Kell
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · SLR Gear reviews Sigma 50mm f1.4 A

maybe I don't get it...it's still a 50mm lens to me in which I already have good one..to each his own I guess

Apr 07, 2014 at 10:19 AM
fraga
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · SLR Gear reviews Sigma 50mm f1.4 A

Indeed, this lens is all about IQ.
You can't go all out on IQ and still come up with a small(er) and light(er) lens.
And they shouldn't worry about that, since there are other options for that and they would have to compromise in order to achieve that.

This is not "another" 50mm 1.4, this is an Otus competitor.
The only one, in fact.
At this point, weight and size become irrelevant.

IMHO, of course.

Apr 07, 2014 at 10:41 AM
jc9394
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · SLR Gear reviews Sigma 50mm f1.4 A

Agreed with fraga, this maybe the only lens that I will be preorder. I love the rendering of Otus but can't justify it and glad I hold off buying the Nikon 58 f/1.4.

Apr 07, 2014 at 11:04 AM
LeifG
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · SLR Gear reviews Sigma 50mm f1.4 A

As fraga said. At the risk of stating the obvious, cameras such as the D800, and even the D600, are more demanding on sensors, and some manufacturers are introducing lenses that are more suited to those cameras.

Apr 07, 2014 at 11:23 AM
binary visions
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · SLR Gear reviews Sigma 50mm f1.4 A

Kell wrote:

Yeah... I was out the other day with my Canon SX50 shooting birds... and this guy shows up with a 600mm f/4 + 2x teleconverter and a D4 to get the same focal length I was using! What a silly guy! That kind of rig defeats the purpose of being out in nature. Canon SX50 is here to stay.

...horses for courses is all

Apr 07, 2014 at 11:46 AM
ariel777
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · SLR Gear reviews Sigma 50mm f1.4 A

The so-called "nifty 50" is in a different classification than the 1.4 issues from Sigma, Nikon and Canon. If a light weight "grab and go" prime is what you want/need, it's the Nikon 28, 35, 50 and 85 1.8 class. Considerably distinct from the 24, 35, 50 and 85 1.4s' from Nikon, Siggy.... Two entirely different lenses, sharing only the focal length as a common denominator.

Apr 07, 2014 at 11:46 AM
ohsnaphappy
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · SLR Gear reviews Sigma 50mm f1.4 A

Must see sample portraits, otherwise it's all link bait to me

Apr 07, 2014 at 11:51 AM
ronno
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · SLR Gear reviews Sigma 50mm f1.4 A

BenV wrote:
It's not meant to be a nifty fifty, what don't you people understand about this?

I think the thing with all these expensive luxury lenses (Otus etc) is that no one but the photographer knows which lens was used. I shoot for publication and see my images printed in a variety of media monthly, and there is no telling which camera was used. Or which format, or jpeg or RAW, etc. You pretty much can't tell shit by looking at the picture in the final reproduction.
I know there are going to be some guys chiming in and saying they print wall size images for galleries, etcetera. And that may be the exception.
For everybody else - once it is printed, nobody knows whether you shot with a Rebel t3i or a Leica. Nor do they care.
There are plenty examples of editorial stories shot with a mix of Phase back and Canon with zoom - and there is no telling which is which by looking at the prints.
Nothing wrong with buying these lenses (I will likely buy this new Sigma 50 because I appreciate nice things) but I go into it knowing that nobody but me will appreciate it.

Apr 08, 2014 at 12:02 PM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · SLR Gear reviews Sigma 50mm f1.4 A

I'm pretty sure that the difference between the 50G lenses or Canon's non-Ls and the 50 Art will be highly appreciated for shots taken at f/1.4 .

Apr 08, 2014 at 02:09 PM
Jonathan
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · SLR Gear reviews Sigma 50mm f1.4 A

Has anyone read anything believable on the pricing?

Apr 08, 2014 at 02:29 PM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · SLR Gear reviews Sigma 50mm f1.4 A

Jonathan wrote:

The only thing that I've found believable is that Sigma could release it for the same or lower price as the 35 Art was released at. I honestly think that they'd be doing themselves a disservice if they push it over US$1000.

Apr 08, 2014 at 03:27 PM
Hardcore
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · SLR Gear reviews Sigma 50mm f1.4 A

Jonathan wrote:

My small dealer who is very accurate on pricing told me $980 CDN. Usually CDN prices run a bit more than U.S. I'm thinking $899 U.S.

Apr 08, 2014 at 03:40 PM
Jonathan
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · SLR Gear reviews Sigma 50mm f1.4 A

That's good to know because at $899 I'd be in line. I really liked the slrgear review.

Apr 08, 2014 at 03:54 PM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · SLR Gear reviews Sigma 50mm f1.4 A

Jonathan wrote:
That's good to know because at $899 I'd be in line. I really liked the slrgear review.

I'm definitely waiting for Photozone, TDP, and DxOMark to get the full 'picture', but I'm pretty sure that I'll be in line too.

Apr 08, 2014 at 04:01 PM
OccAeon
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · SLR Gear reviews Sigma 50mm f1.4 A

I bet that the price will be about the same as the 35 A, because it looks like the lens is just a 50mm version of the 35 A (which is a great thing). On the other hand, maybe they will raise the price a bit due to the success of the 35 A.

Apr 08, 2014 at 04:43 PM
wiseguy010
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · SLR Gear reviews Sigma 50mm f1.4 A

fraga wrote:
This is not "another" 50mm 1.4, this is an Otus competitor.
The only one, in fact

Pfff, a first "test" shows that this Sigma might be sharp and that is obviously a reason for some people to get out of whack. As if sharpness is the only thing that makes a great lens.

The Otus has everything right: sharpness, contrast, color correction, bokeh, distortion, CA, curvature of field, build quality, quality control, etc. When a lens is just (or almost) as good one one point doesn't mean that it will be a competitor. Let's wait and see what the Sigma does on all the other points.

Apr 08, 2014 at 04:47 PM
fraga
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · SLR Gear reviews Sigma 50mm f1.4 A

You are obviously right.
I am sure the Otus will beat the Sigma in one or even more than one aspect.

However, the Sigma, besides a much better price, has something the Otus does not, that does matter to some people: AF.

Besides, I am not "out of whack", since I have zero interest in any of those two.
My 50L 1.0 serves me just fine and I have no intentions of replacing it.

Apr 08, 2014 at 05:14 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.