New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Profoto or Elinchrom

pcrit
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Profoto or Elinchrom

I have posted a few times and have received some great advice and trying to decide on a light setup that's reliable, easy to use, and portable. I thought I decided on an Elinchrom BRX 250/500 setup but just came across the Profoto B1. I shoot Nikon and currently use Quantum Trio but thinking the Profoto would be a great replacement and I could sell the Quantum. I guess my main question is (I am on a budget), would I be better off with one Profoto vs. 2 Elinchrom? I haven't used a lot of lighting and really need to focus and learn but shoot with two doing portraits currently and wondering about one light setups. Also, what about the profoto D1 with two vs B1? I do like the ttl and portability of the B1 but can get two lights for the price of a B1. So........ Profoto B1 vs D1 vs Elinchrom BRX 250/500?

Apr 07, 2014 at 07:52 AM
Deezie
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Profoto or Elinchrom

It's my understanding that the ttl feature is not yet available for Nikon, though it should be some time soon. Personally, I would go the B1 route. It's expensive, but look at it as a long term investment in lights that offer amazing portability, with strong build quality.

Apr 07, 2014 at 02:53 PM
johnvanr
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Profoto or Elinchrom

I have the older Profoto compacts and a B1 that I just got and haven't tried yet. I also have a used Elinchrom Ranger RX and two heads. In the past, I had a Profoto Acute pack and three Acute heads.

Here's what I've learned so far:
- Profoto is more expensive, which matters if you start buying modifiers or break a flashtube. Of course, you could always use other brands with the appropriate speedring or buy used;
- Profoto's speedring is much sturdier and easier to use than any other I've ever tried, including Elinchrom;
- the B1 is pretty heavy, so if you're going to add modifiers to it, you need a really sturdy setup (on the other hand, all monolights are pretty heavy as well);
- the main reason to get a B1 over anything else is the battery power in a small package (TTL is nice, but you don't really need it once you get into lighting); if you don't need that or don't plan to shoot away from a power source, I'm not sure it's worth the extra money;
- both Elinchrom and Profoto are excellent, reliable and give great results.

Apr 07, 2014 at 03:09 PM
Daan B
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Profoto or Elinchrom

Since you are learning lighting I suggest you pick up two lights.

Apr 07, 2014 at 03:24 PM
pcrit
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Profoto or Elinchrom

Thank you for the advice I know I can't go wrong with either one for what I am going to do. I am thinking just spend $1500 on the Elinchrom and be done with it and maybe in a few years I can do the profoto if I need too. If I could get by with one light then I would just have the profoto.

Apr 07, 2014 at 05:18 PM
hijazist
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Profoto or Elinchrom

I was in the same boat trying to decide between the B1 & the Eli quadra. I shoot both indoor & outdoor. I went for the B1 as well as three 560 III Yongnuo flashes for less than $200.

The B1 is an amazing light and the fact that it doesn't need a power source and it's cordless makes me want to shoot more. My outdoor setup is the B1 & a Mola Demi and that's it. I still haven't tried TTL because the remote is still not out for Nikon but I am so excited about it for outdoor, especially sports and action. In the studio, I need one big light for key and any other lighting can be done with speedlights and that explains my setup.

Apr 07, 2014 at 07:07 PM
pcrit
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Profoto or Elinchrom

I shoot indoor right now but not that much at all and want to really start doing portraits more and build it up. I really like the idea of being portable and easy to use and the B1 certainly looks that way. I do have two Nikon sb-910s and 2 Trio's that I could use with it. How do you trigger the speedlights with the B1?

Apr 08, 2014 at 07:21 AM
hijazist
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Profoto or Elinchrom

Optical slave on the speedlights, I never had an issue. This won't be reliable outdoors but I usually only use one light outdoors.

Apr 08, 2014 at 10:34 AM
pcrit
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Profoto or Elinchrom

I think I would only really need indoors most of the time, thank you!

Apr 08, 2014 at 10:55 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.