Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Steve Tinetti, Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List
  

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

1
       2       end
  

Do you get complaints on your lights?
  
 
popinvasion
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Do you get complaints on your lights?


I have a few friends complaining that their wedding guests have complained about their lighting setup.

I had a single complaint myself once.

I honestly think anything more than a pair of speedlights illuminating the dance floor is just asking for complaints, eventually it will happen. The question then is: Do you care?

Fortunately I think a pair of speedlight gets the job done nicely. I am seeing a trend though, that more and more people are sensitive to strobes. Anyone else?




Apr 07, 2014 at 07:38 AM
yitzy
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Do you get complaints on your lights?


Never had a guest complain.

Sometimes while opening the equipment, someone from the hall will complain about the amount of gear.
But we assure them that it obviously won't stay in-middle of the dance floor, the flashes will be scattered around the corners of the hall, unnoticed and not bothering/dangering anybody.








Edited on Apr 07, 2014 at 09:26 AM · View previous versions



Apr 07, 2014 at 09:19 AM
D. Diggler
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Do you get complaints on your lights?


yitzy wrote:
Sometimes while opening the equipment, someone from the hall will complain about the amount of gear.


"That can't be there!"

"Is that gonna stay there?"



Apr 07, 2014 at 09:22 AM
morby
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Do you get complaints on your lights?


yitzy wrote:
Never had a guest complain.

Sometimes while opening the equipment, someone from the hall will complain about the amount of gear.
But we assure them that it obviously won't stay in-middle of the dance floor, the flashes will be scattered around the corners of the hall, unnoticed and not bothering/dangering anybody.

http://s29.postimg.org/a8h1j15yf/2013_10_28_15_29_19_1.jpg


please tell me you are joking with that picture.



Apr 07, 2014 at 12:45 PM
morby
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Do you get complaints on your lights?


popinvasion wrote:
I have a few friends complaining that their wedding guests have complained about their lighting setup.

I had a single complaint myself once.

I honestly think anything more than a pair of speedlights illuminating the dance floor is just asking for complaints, eventually it will happen. The question then is: Do you care?

Fortunately I think a pair of speedlight gets the job done nicely. I am seeing a trend though, that more and more people are sensitive to strobes. Anyone else?



I use speedlights and have never had a complaint. I've seen people use strobes, but I think it's unnecessary



Apr 07, 2014 at 12:47 PM
joshua grasso
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Do you get complaints on your lights?










please tell me you are joking with that picture.

I use the same setup. 1 strobe for each table at the reception. lol



Apr 07, 2014 at 01:51 PM
TRReichman
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Do you get complaints on your lights?


I've heard venue managers, catering people and decor designers complain about other people's lights plenty of time.

- trr



Apr 07, 2014 at 01:55 PM
SGallant
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Do you get complaints on your lights?


I use speed lights now and usually gaffer them against a pillar of some sort. I don't think I have ever had a complaint. Early on I used strobes and I did have some complaints as I was also bouncing them and just throwing ridiculous amounts of light around.


Apr 07, 2014 at 02:05 PM
myam203
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Do you get complaints on your lights?


I know I'm like the only one nowadays, but I really stick to bouncing an on-camera flash whenever I can.


Apr 07, 2014 at 04:13 PM
TTLKurtis
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Do you get complaints on your lights?


I've been gravitating towards bouncing on camera flash again as well... It tends to look more natural and I also hate having my stands litter a nicely decorated space.


Apr 07, 2014 at 04:18 PM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



JakAHearts
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Do you get complaints on your lights?


I usually use one off camera light for rim/seperation and one on camera for the main light. Last wedding I think I was at 1/16th power. Even looking straight at it, it doesnt really bother my eyes.


Apr 07, 2014 at 04:20 PM
MRomine
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Do you get complaints on your lights?


SGallant wrote:
I use speed lights now and usually gaffer them against a pillar of some sort.


Ever pull the vinyl wall paper off the drywall when removing the gaffers tape? What do you do when you don't have a post/pillar to use? Have you totally stopped using light stands?

Ever use these these, they will work on windows too? http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/67896-REG/Avenger_F1000_F1000_Pump_Cup_with.html

or: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/349147-REG/Manfrotto_175F_1_175F_Justin_Spring_Clamp.html

These are cool too: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/887900-REG/Dinkum_3143_Action_Pod_Pro.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/159007-REG/Lowel_ML_13_Clamp_with_5_8_Stud.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/3569-REG/Avenger_C1000_C1000_Drop_Ceiling_Scissor_Clamp.html



Apr 07, 2014 at 04:22 PM
SGallant
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Do you get complaints on your lights?


MRomine wrote:
Ever pull the vinyl wall paper off the drywall when removing the gaffers tape? What do you do when you don't have a post/pillar to use? Have you totally stopped using light stands?

Ever use these these, they will work on windows too? http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/67896-REG/Avenger_F1000_F1000_Pump_Cup_with.html

or: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/349147-REG/Manfrotto_175F_1_175F_Justin_Spring_Clamp.html

These are cool too: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/887900-REG/Dinkum_3143_Action_Pod_Pro.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/159007-REG/Lowel_ML_13_Clamp_with_5_8_Stud.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/3569-REG/Avenger_C1000_C1000_Drop_Ceiling_Scissor_Clamp.html


I am aware of what it may do, and they can bill me if it happens. I use one strip to lock the top of my stand in place. I find if I keep my gaffer tape fresh it pulling stuff after a few hours doesn't happen. As to why I do it, I have had too many of my light stands out of the way knocked over. The damage to my gear is one thing, the damage to a guest is another and the fear of the latter out weighs the risk of gaffer tape for me.

The suction cup stand looks interesting. Do you find issues with it staying up for the whole night?



Apr 07, 2014 at 04:27 PM
MRomine
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Do you get complaints on your lights?


SGallant wrote:
The suction cup stand looks interesting. Do you find issues with it staying up for the whole night?


Not those, they will actually hold a strobe. A speed light should stay up a long time. B&H actually has several brands, some that are smaller and less expensive that might be better suited for a speed light.



Apr 07, 2014 at 04:31 PM
SGallant
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Do you get complaints on your lights?


MRomine wrote:
Not those, they will actually hold a strobe. A speed light should stay up a long time. B&H actually has several brands, some that are smaller and less expensive that might be better suited for a speed light.

Cool yeah that's definitely worth taking a look at. Thanks.



Apr 07, 2014 at 04:40 PM
MattSepeta
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Do you get complaints on your lights?


yitzy wrote:
Never had a guest complain.

Sometimes while opening the equipment, someone from the hall will complain about the amount of gear.
But we assure them that it obviously won't stay in-middle of the dance floor, the flashes will be scattered around the corners of the hall, unnoticed and not bothering/dangering anybody.

http://s29.postimg.org/a8h1j15yf/2013_10_28_15_29_19_1.jpg


"I dont always use strobes, but when I do, the city lights flicker when I hit the shutter"



but seriously, I try to hide lightstands when I absolutely HAVE to use them. For about 70% of weddings I just use clamps and find somewhere to clamp two speedlights in a cross light arrangement optimally, then use on camera bounce for fill.



Apr 07, 2014 at 05:39 PM
leethecam
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Do you get complaints on your lights?


I think the thing to remember is that we are just there to photograph an existing event. The event is not a photographic project.

Personally I forgo the perfection of perfect lighting opportunities to ensure I am unobtrusive.

Tastes vary, but for me I've always been wary of multiple strobes firing around the room. It feels too much like a photographic event.

I use an on camera Lumiquest to get great results, but with the minimum disruption. I shoot high-end parties (rather than weddings,) so most of my work is like the evening / wedding breakfast part - and usually in very unfavourable conditions. But if I had multiple strobes around the room I know I'd get complaints about my and their presence.



Apr 07, 2014 at 06:30 PM
jcolman
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Do you get complaints on your lights?


I've had one guest complain that one of my lights was bothering her. I moved the light a bit.

I get the concept that "we are there to photograph an existing event" but it's my job to provide the best quality product to my clients. And that means that I'm going to light the venue. I keep the power as low as possible but I will set up three or four lights at the reception.



Apr 07, 2014 at 06:52 PM
MRomine
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Do you get complaints on your lights?


I'm kind of in the same camp as Jcolman, there needs to be a balance found somewhere between yitzy and leethecam. Provide a great product and be as unobtrusive as possible.


Apr 07, 2014 at 07:06 PM
amonline
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Do you get complaints on your lights?


yitzy wrote:
http://s29.postimg.org/a8h1j15yf/2013_10_28_15_29_19_1.jpg


This made me LMFAO.

Thanks. I needed the chuckle.



Apr 07, 2014 at 08:11 PM
1
       2       end




FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

1
       2       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password