New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2014 · Adorama ordering question

jjkk

Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Adorama ordering question

I was just joking around with Stan. He seems like the kind of resilient person who can well take it in good fun as am I. I like to keep it in light fun, but am impressed with the folks who jumped to his defense! I appreciate everyones response. And am wondering if I should cancel my credit card. The gent at Adorama asked me to send it via email so i did. I have gmail set to https so I was not too worried about it. No need to answer. We all have busy days I am sure. Cheers.

Apr 07, 2014 at 11:17 AM
jjkk

p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Adorama ordering question

Adorama just called me and will honor the price they originally quoted. That is very nice and respectable of them. Thanks for all your help.

Apr 07, 2014 at 11:39 AM
stanj
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Adorama ordering question

jjkk wrote:
I was just joking around with Stan.

Right. Because people who are joking go comb the web for others' backgrounds and "offensive" quotes and then re-post those.

Apr 07, 2014 at 11:40 AM
jjkk

p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Adorama ordering question

Haha Stan. You crack me up. You apparently have no self awareness. Thats ok, you can just refocus after the picture is taken and then see what really happened.

Apr 07, 2014 at 11:43 AM
krementz
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Adorama ordering question

jjkk wrote:
I was just joking around with Stan. He seems like the kind of resilient person who can well take it in good fun as am I. I like to keep it in light fun, but am impressed with the folks who jumped to his defense! I appreciate everyones response. And am wondering if I should cancel my credit card. The gent at Adorama asked me to send it via email so i did. I have gmail set to https so I was not too worried about it. No need to answer. We all have busy days I am sure. Cheers.

Https does not protect your email information once it leaves your email provider (such as gMail) and goes to your recipient, unless you both happen to use gMail as your email provider. Https only protects a message from your computer to gMail, not beyond.

Email is about as private as a postcard. Perhaps even less secure.

Monitor your CC for a few days. If nothing strange is happening, you are probably OK. If you are paranoid, or using a debit card, change your credit card. (Debit cards have less legal protection than a credit card.)

I am very surprised someone at a retailer would ask you to send CC info via email. If you do get suspicious activity on your CC, you may want to contact management at Adorama. The clerk may have set you up for a scam. [Just to be clear, I am not in any way insinuating anything worng with Adorama, just the clerk who advised you]

Apr 07, 2014 at 11:47 AM
Helen Oster
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Adorama ordering question

krementz wrote:
I am very surprised someone at a retailer would ask you to send CC info via email. If you do get suspicious activity on your CC, you may want to contact management at Adorama. The clerk may have set you up for a scam. [Just to be clear, I am not in any way insinuating anything worng with Adorama, just the clerk who advised you]

Me too - and I've already raised this as a matter for concern

Apr 07, 2014 at 12:07 PM
jjkk

p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Adorama ordering question

The way this happened was I asked if they wanted me to send my cc info over email or call them. He responded please provide your billing shipping, telephone and cc information. So it was me who originally asked whether I should send it that way. I dont have any reason to believe anything suspicious was involved. I didnt give it a second thought at the time because even though they may not use gmail, my info, because of HTTPS, would have been encrypted and only ended up unencrypted on their system where it would have been anyway. I just am pleased you all pointed me to Helen to help me resolve this and big thanks to you Helen for your help! I would be happy to forward you the emails if you contact me directly.

Apr 07, 2014 at 12:43 PM
krementz
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Adorama ordering question

jjkk - unfortunately, https does NOT encrypt beyond your email provider (gMail) - the mail goes completely exposed to innumerable relay points before it gets to Adorama's email service. And, there are many, many "sniffers" looking for any traffic that looks like a CC number, and then copy it to malefactors, often overseas. There is no "person" reading individual emails, which is why email is less secure than a post card. At least in the Post Office, somebody would have to actually read each post card.

It does sound innocent. However, any responsible customer service rep should know NEVER to have CC info via email. And now you know, too.

Apr 07, 2014 at 01:53 PM
Helen Oster
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Adorama ordering question

jjkk wrote:
I just am pleased you all pointed me to Helen to help me resolve this and big thanks to you Helen for your help!

My pleasure!

Apr 07, 2014 at 01:57 PM
Helen Oster
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Adorama ordering question

krementz wrote:
However, any responsible customer service rep should know NEVER to have CC info via email.

I agree - and it is being addressed......

Apr 07, 2014 at 02:03 PM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.