Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Maybe we can spawn some street love?

Bob Jarman
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Maybe we can spawn some street love?

Captures at OMSI (Oregon Museum of Science & Industry) in Portland, OR.

Photographs permitted (except for one specific exhibit) so fair game - not like tackling someone on the street or in a restaurant as did @OregonGal!

Personal experiment in zone focus - often shot from hip using quick glance at rear display.

Risky business!

Noticing the parental involvement was quite encouraging - not like turn 'em loose and everyone meet at X at 5pm as is often the case around here.

Bob

X-Pro1    XF23mmF1.4 R lens    23mm    f/1.4    1/1000s    3200 ISO    0.0 EV  

X-Pro1    XF23mmF1.4 R lens    23mm    f/1.4    1/500s    3200 ISO    0.0 EV  

X-Pro1    XF23mmF1.4 R lens    23mm    f/1.4    1/125s    1000 ISO    0.0 EV  

X-Pro1    XF23mmF1.4 R lens    23mm    f/1.4    1/125s    2500 ISO    0.0 EV  

X-Pro1    XF23mmF1.4 R lens    23mm    f/1.4    1/1000s    1600 ISO    0.0 EV  

Apr 06, 2014 at 08:52 PM
Oregon Gal
• • •
p.1 #2 · Maybe we can spawn some street love?

I haven't played with zone focus too much but I will try it with some outdoor shots. Indoors I presume it will be quite challenging due to the limited depth of field. I think with the Fuji cameras it's best to pre focus or use a smaller aperture for street type photography although I will say I'm quite impressed with the focus speed and accuracy of the XT-1. When an error is made it is usually the result of the photographer.

All I can say is you captured some nice candids and you stepped out of your comfort zone.

Apr 06, 2014 at 09:11 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · Maybe we can spawn some street love?

Oregon Gal wrote:
I haven't played with zone focus too much but I will try it with some outdoor shots. Indoors I presume it will be quite challenging due to the limited depth of field. I think with the Fuji cameras it's best to pre focus or use a smaller aperture for street type photography although I will say I'm quite impressed with the focus speed and accuracy of the XT-1. When an error is made it is usually the result of the photographer.

All I can say is you captured some nice candids and you stepped out of your comfort zone.

Thanks,

Some luck involved and with all the other distractions staying off the radar was easy

Lady texting - I was most visible but she was so focused on her phone it did not matter.

Bob

Apr 06, 2014 at 09:44 PM
FarmerJohn
• • •
p.1 #4 · Maybe we can spawn some street love?

I like the first one. Shows obvious fascination with something!
I was at a kids museum with my cousins last year. I think I had as much fun as they did!

Apr 07, 2014 at 06:17 AM
Oregon Gal
• • •
p.1 #5 · Maybe we can spawn some street love?

I think maybe starting this type of thread over in B/W might be nice if they don't already have one. I always like street photography converted to Black and White.

Apr 07, 2014 at 05:34 PM
beavens
• • •
p.1 #6 · Maybe we can spawn some street love?

Bob,

Good shots! I haven't really tried my hand at conspicuous street photography, but I am sure it takes some balls to pull off.

Really love the connection you captured between the bearded dad and daughter (assuming as much), which is the beauty of these candid moments.

Would love to see more of these posted!

Cheers,

Jeff

Apr 07, 2014 at 05:47 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · Maybe we can spawn some street love?

@FarmerJohn,

Thanks for your comment - the entire place was fascinating for young & old. #1, #3, and #4 are in the same "room" - a dark area comprised of a network of pneumatic tubes, hoses, and valves for launching blue balls upward into the network and across the room.

I was amused to watch adults, #4 for example, as they obliquely surveyed the series of spatial geometric puzzles laid out on tables. After looking around for a moment, they would slowly approach the table to briefly engage with the puzzle. The humorous part is if they were stumped, there would be a quick, furtive glance of others to see if anyone noticed, followed by nonchalantly walking away as if nothing happened. Kids on the other hand, unburdened by the opinions of others, would vigorously pursue solving the puzzle until successful or totally frustrated (or the parent moved them along to another problem).

Bob

Apr 07, 2014 at 06:01 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · Maybe we can spawn some street love?

beavens wrote:
Bob,

Good shots! I haven't really tried my hand at conspicuous street photography, but I am sure it takes some balls to pull off.

Really love the connection you captured between the bearded dad and daughter (assuming as much), which is the beauty of these candid moments.

Would love to see more of these posted!

Cheers,

Jeff

Jeff,

Thanks, I'll spin up several more.

In this case, being/going there was all the fortitude required The rest was icing on the cake.

On BWVision, @jojomon11, @airfrogusmc, and @deinfaces (People Forum) to name a few often post some great street stuff.

Regards,

Bob

Apr 07, 2014 at 06:07 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

boingyman
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #9 · Maybe we can spawn some street love?

1) This shot is the most interesting IMO as you included some lines, juxtaposition, layers. Overall aesthetics is not bad. Content wise it doesn't bring enough interest for me.

2) A lady texting sitting on a bench... Nothing to see here IMO.

3) I guess you did capture a decent moment, but it brings nothing else to the table IMO.

4) Makes you wonder what they are looking at and if they are looking at seperate things.

5) Nothing interesting IMO

There's a time and place to shoot from the hip, but if doing so blindly, framing and composition becomes more guess work which only increases the chance of a weaker photo IMO. It also at times can be a weaker perspective when it's done that low. I think the main benefit though is that it has a better chance of keeping a candid moment candid. Also shooting children you don't know can cause some nervousness so I understand trying to be incognito. It can also allow a perspective closer to their eye level so in that case can be a ponential posistive.

All in all good effort. Get those SP jitters out and shoot more. Street photography IMO one of the most difficult and challenging genres in photography, but I personally love it even though some days I barely capture anything worthwhile...

Apr 07, 2014 at 10:44 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · Maybe we can spawn some street love?

boingyman wrote:
1) This shot is the most interesting IMO as you included some lines, juxtaposition, layers. Overall aesthetics is not bad. Content wise it doesn't bring enough interest for me.

2) A lady texting sitting on a bench... Nothing to see here IMO.

3) I guess you did capture a decent moment, but it brings nothing else to the table IMO.

4) Makes you wonder what they are looking at and if they are looking at seperate things.

5) Nothing interesting IMO

There's a time and place to shoot from the hip, but if doing so blindly, framing and composition becomes more guess
...Show more

Thanks for your observations and great advice.

Aside from the whole 'street' thing, I wrestle with what is interesting, good, and worthwhile shooting.

In this case, the response and awe of the kids interested me, however the fundamental technical goal was to get something in focus. #1 is our eldest grandson, so something there most observers would not know. Otherwise, I suspect the experience is rather like capturing landscapes - being there is not enough, the devil is in conveying the 'being' to the viewer.

Thanks again,

Bob

Apr 07, 2014 at 11:16 PM
sbeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · Maybe we can spawn some street love?

Bob,
It's nice to see you and Barbara (OregonGal) venture into the candid, BW realm. A real challenge. I guess working with these smaller cameras makes it a bit less intrusive and more tempting.
First works for me because of his expression, added by a diagonal formed by the tubing. What is he looking at? Where does the tubing go? Is it related? A nice candid capture.
Second doesnt engage me
Third nicely captures father and daughter. Wish she were sharper.
Fourth. Got to think about this one. It does make me want to look and and look again. The shallow DOF kinda bothers me, but the juxtaposition of the heads and where they are gazing pulls me back for another look. Unusual, but a keeper.
Last is a nice candid capture. By itself it doesnt maintain interest, but if I knew the people I would enjoy it more. Or, if it were (and it is) part of a series of interactions at the museum.
Scott

Apr 08, 2014 at 01:16 AM
Bob Jarman
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · Maybe we can spawn some street love?

sbeme wrote:
Bob,
It's nice to see you and Barbara (OregonGal) venture into the candid, BW realm. A real challenge. I guess working with these smaller cameras makes it a bit less intrusive and more tempting.
First works for me because of his expression, added by a diagonal formed by the tubing. What is he looking at? Where does the tubing go? Is it related? A nice candid capture.
Second doesnt engage me
Third nicely captures father and daughter. Wish she were sharper.
Fourth. Got to think about this one. It does make me want to look and and look again. The shallow DOF kinda bothers
...Show more

Scott,

Thanks for your thoughts and detailed comments.

A mish-mash I know. Fun, but what puzzles is the distinguishing traits of good versus ho-hum. On one hand, having browsed a number of street blogs, often images that draw raves leave me scratching my head - tilted, über-contrast, questionable focus, and lots of faux grain. Certainly not what we, PC contributors, are accustomed to seeing. On the other, Allen, aka @airfrogusmc, posting on BWVision has a knack for capturing interesting, entertaining juxtapositions of lines and shapes that are pleasing to observe and invite further study. In that frame of reference, #2 appeals to me on a different level than the others, lines of bench, off-whites, etc. plus her tuning out everything around her - but, that is just me.

Eric Kim, a former participant on BWVision has an interesting blog with lots of solid references for anyone interested.

Again, thanks for looking and offering comments,

Bob

Apr 08, 2014 at 01:13 PM
sbeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · Maybe we can spawn some street love?

Yes, Eric Kim's work is exceptional. And a great eye for superimposing graffiti and signage with pedestrians.

Apr 08, 2014 at 03:08 PM
boingyman
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #14 · Maybe we can spawn some street love?

I know a lot hate on Eric, but I enjoy his passion about street photography and I think he's really matured over the past few years. He does some nice video from time to time. I enjoyed his interview with Jack Simon, which I thought was pretty interesting since he's one of my fav SP. I just saw he did a video interview with Justin Vogel, who I respect so can't wait to listen to his thoughts since he can be blunt and straight forward.

If you have the time I would look into SPNC (street photography now community) and try their biweekly instructions/assignments. www.flickr.com/groups/spnc ...hopefully that link can lead you to the current instruction. I was doing it, but fell off since I had no time to even pick up my camera at one point.

in-public, street-photographers, burnmyeye, magnum, hardcore street photography (HCSP) group on flickr are all nice sites to visit from time to time.

Apr 08, 2014 at 03:54 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · Maybe we can spawn some street love?

boingyman wrote:
I know a lot hate on Eric, but I enjoy his passion about street photography and I think he's really matured over the past few years. He does some nice video from time to time. I enjoyed his interview with Jack Simon, which I thought was pretty interesting since he's one of my fav SP. I just saw he did a video interview with Justin Vogel, who I respect so can't wait to listen to his thoughts since he can be blunt and straight forward.

If you have the time I would look into SPNC (street photography now community) and try
...Show more

Great link - thanks!

Bob

Apr 08, 2014 at 05:19 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password