New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Zoom lens for NEX?

j.cho

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Zoom lens for NEX?

I asked this question on the wrong board and got no response so hopefully my luck will be better here.

I recently purchased the sony nex 6 as my everyday camera, and looking to find a good zoom lens. I have the sigma 19 and hoping to get something to complement it.

Since I'm a casual hobbyist, I'm looking in the mid price range. I heard good things about the 55-210 lens. Is that my only option or are there better choices?

Thanks for the help!

Apr 06, 2014 at 08:43 AM
ken.vs.ryu
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Zoom lens for NEX?

The better choice is the new 70-200 f4 G FE but it is 5x the price. The 55-210 should do you well and it's a good bargain. You can also get the 18-200. You can also get an LA-EA2 and use Minolta/Sony A mount lenses.

Apr 06, 2014 at 08:51 AM
j.cho

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Zoom lens for NEX?

Thanks for the recommendations. The other lens are out of my price range, but I'll definitely look into the adapter.

Apr 06, 2014 at 06:03 PM
nick53097
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Zoom lens for NEX?

My best lens for Nex 6 was Sigma 30mm ( well, Zeiss 24 mm is even better, but price and size too much for me )
I did try several zoom lenses, but the difference in results pushed me back to sigma

Apr 07, 2014 at 11:52 AM
mMontag
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Zoom lens for NEX?

Are you needing an e-mount zoom? What FL? I'll assume you have the 16-50 kit lens - no real IQ but it is compact - makes the Nex into a P&S.

If you are OK with an adapter and manual focus / aperture there are many good zooms - Minolta or Contax (C/Y or G) 35-70mm and the Contax C/Y 80-200/4 and many of the Canon FD's. The Contax are nice and small with excellent IQ.

However with the cost and weight of the adapter plus zoom you're not gaining much over the Zeiss 16-70/4. That lens can be found on E-Bay for $800.00 - be sure to purchase from a seller with a return policy. I expect the price of that lens to come down in the next year or so.

Apr 07, 2014 at 12:32 PM
j.cho

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Zoom lens for NEX?

nick53097 wrote:
My best lens for Nex 6 was Sigma 30mm ( well, Zeiss 24 mm is even better, but price and size too much for me )
I did try several zoom lenses, but the difference in results pushed me back to sigma

I already have the sigma 19mm, so would 30mm be too close in FL? Do you think it'll be beneficial to have both lenses?

Apr 07, 2014 at 01:06 PM
j.cho

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Zoom lens for NEX?

mMontag wrote:
Are you needing an e-mount zoom? What FL? I'll assume you have the 16-50 kit lens - no real IQ but it is compact - makes the Nex into a P&S.

If you are OK with an adapter and manual focus / aperture there are many good zooms - Minolta or Contax (C/Y or G) 35-70mm and the Contax C/Y 80-200/4 and many of the Canon FD's. The Contax are nice and small with excellent IQ.

However with the cost and weight of the adapter plus zoom you're not gaining much over the Zeiss 16-70/4. That lens can be found on E-Bay
...Show more

I was looking primarily at the e-mount, but I'm open to the adapter setup as it seems to provide me with more options. Does attaching the adapter change the FL or the image quality of the lens?

I bought the nex 6 body only so the 19mm is the only lens I have at the moment. Contax C/Y 80-200 fits the range and the price, but it looks so big! I might grab the 55-210 as my zoom lens, but will definitely look more into the adapter for my other lens needs.

I really appreciate everyone's responses! There's so much to know..

Apr 07, 2014 at 01:18 PM
mMontag
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Zoom lens for NEX?

What kind of photography do you want to use the zoom for? Landscape? All-around?

The 55-210 is a really slow (f4.5-6.3) large lens and takes away from the small compact size of the Nex6. At 210mm f6.3 is going to be quite soft and will need a tripod in anything less than bright conditions.

http://www.photozone.de/sony_nex/729-sony55210f4563nex

Take a look at the 18-55 or 16-50 for all-around use and add a mid or long(er) range prime for telephoto work with an adapter - and no, the adapter does not change FL or degrade IQ. You can get a cheap e-mount adapter and something like a Pentax - Olympus - Canon FD in the 150-200mm range.

Another good lens would be the Contax "N" 70-200 with a Contax "N" to E-mount adapter - it's one of the smallest/lightest zoom in that range with excellent IQ with a short(er) MFD. It will be electronic aperture with manual focus however.

http://www.zeissimages.com/mtf/n/Vario-Sonnar3.5-4.5_70-200mm_e.pdf

Apr 07, 2014 at 04:19 PM
j.cho

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Zoom lens for NEX?

Thanks for the links, I'm now having second thoughts about the 55-210.

I was looking to use the zoom lens as an all-around lens for situations where I can't get close to the subject. I also want to travel light and be able to shoot without using tripods.

I guess more research is warranted. Thanks for all the advice!

Apr 07, 2014 at 04:38 PM
JonPB
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Zoom lens for NEX?

I would recommend looking at Sigma's focal length simulations to help you decide how long of a lens you want. Not knowing whether you want your images to have a little bit more magnification or a lot more magnification, I'd say that the Sigma 60mm f/2.8 is probably going to be your best bang for the buck in terms of weight and avoiding tripods.

Hope this helps,
Jon

Apr 07, 2014 at 07:03 PM
j.cho

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Zoom lens for NEX?

Thanks Jon, the images are definitely helpful. Just by looking at the simulator I think I want something that covers 135mm, but going to head down to the camera store over the weekend, try different focal lengths and see what suits me the most.

Apr 07, 2014 at 09:04 PM
ytwong
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Zoom lens for NEX?

55-210 is small considered that it's a longish lens(it's slim), it's also very lightweight. Don't forget any SLR lens requires an adapter and that should be added to size(length) and weight of the overall package.
BUT... if you want to shoot without tripod... you would want a faster lens AND stabilized. 55-210 start at long FL so it's definitely not a one-lens solution.

Maybe you can consider 18-105/4 OSS, cheaper than 16-70 but bulkier.

Apr 07, 2014 at 10:32 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.