Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · PNY 128GB Elite Performance 90mb/s or SanDisk 64GB Extreme Pro 95mb/s - ...

Photo4Less

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · PNY 128GB Elite Performance 90mb/s or SanDisk 64GB Extreme Pro 95mb/s - Thoughts?

Not sure if either one has been discussed and/or compared between the two, so here it goes.

Deciding between the two for both videos and photos. Having something fast is key. Will be using it on a Canon 70D.

Link to both memory cards:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1016077-REG/pny_technologies_p_sdx128u1h_ge_128gb_elite_sdxc_uhs_1_card.html
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/824149-REG/SanDisk_SDSDXPA_064G_A75_Extreme_Pro_64GB_SDHC_SDXC.html

After much research and effort it's still hard to give or take on which would benefit most - the PNY for it's larger holding capacity rating at 90mb/s or SanDisk for being much reputable at a higher cost. My budget not being the factor but the key to which card will do the job that I need it to perform is my concern.
Has anyone had any experience with this particular PNY 128GB Elite Performance?
Is the performance as good as they say or should I stay away?
Is buying the brand a factor when choosing and/or buying?
Or should I forget ever asking and just go with SanDisk?
What are your inputs?

Though I may not ever use up to the maximum gigabyte on either cards in a day or weekend shoot I am currently in the market to buy that one memory card and not have to carry more than 1 or 2 backup (if that) on hand in the case I should lose or forget one at home. Just one in the slot, always ready to go and not have to change it out after every couple hundred shots is what I'm looking for, yet at the same time hold enough photos and videos when needed.

I am a hobbyist and only do this for self pleasure. Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Apr 06, 2014 at 04:26 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · PNY 128GB Elite Performance 90mb/s or SanDisk 64GB Extreme Pro 95mb/s - Thoughts?

The 70D is not all that fast so the PNY may be fine, but I would not store so much on a lower tier card in a body without a second memory slot.

EBH

Apr 06, 2014 at 10:02 AM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · PNY 128GB Elite Performance 90mb/s or SanDisk 64GB Extreme Pro 95mb/s - Thoughts?

What is wrong with downloading photos every few days? I shoot a Nikon D800 and my biggest card is 32 gigs. I've never filled a card, though I have come close.

Trust me, it's a lot easier to keep track when you put a couple hundred pix in one directory than putting a couple thousand in one directory covering several shoots.

Apr 06, 2014 at 01:41 PM
Photo4Less

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · PNY 128GB Elite Performance 90mb/s or SanDisk 64GB Extreme Pro 95mb/s - Thoughts?

As new as it is there should have been a second slot on this body.

EB-1 wrote:
The 70D is not all that fast so the PNY may be fine, but I would not store so much on a lower tier card in a body without a second memory slot.

EBH

Apr 06, 2014 at 10:57 PM
Photo4Less

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · PNY 128GB Elite Performance 90mb/s or SanDisk 64GB Extreme Pro 95mb/s - Thoughts?

Totally correct. Much easier to keep track than to fill one card with multiple shoots, like thousands of pictures + videos. However, downloading them onto my laptop isn't the question, it's being out on a day or perhaps a weekend trip having to not worry about how many shots are left or videos I can take.
The PNY only intimidates me of failing, if it should as I couldn't find resourceful info on it's 128gb quality versus up to SanDisk 64gb.

PNY 128gb @ 90mb/s = $64.95 is quite a deal from all current leading brands at this gig size.
SanDisk 64gb @ 95mb/s = $98.95 a $34 increase difference.

runamuck wrote:
What is wrong with downloading photos every few days? I shoot a Nikon D800 and my biggest card is 32 gigs. I've never filled a card, though I have come close.

Trust me, it's a lot easier to keep track when you put a couple hundred pix in one directory than putting a couple thousand in one directory covering several shoots.

Apr 06, 2014 at 11:22 PM
bggary

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · PNY 128GB Elite Performance 90mb/s or SanDisk 64GB Extreme Pro 95mb/s - Thoughts?

Are PNY cards known to be bad?

I picked up a handful of the 64Gb/90-mb/s SD cards when Costco online had them for about $30 each, and have not yet had a problem.... what should I expect?

Bruce

Apr 07, 2014 at 12:49 PM
Photo4Less

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · PNY 128GB Elite Performance 90mb/s or SanDisk 64GB Extreme Pro 95mb/s - Thoughts?

Don't expect anything. My question only regards those who's had experience with PNY sd cards and what their take was. Being at 128gb 90mb/s vs SanDisk 64gb 95mb/s this PNY isn't a bad deal for $65. However, I just didn't want to jump the gun and end up with a card while trying to save some extra cash wasn't what I hoped for.

bggary wrote:
Are PNY cards known to be bad?

I picked up a handful of the 64Gb/90-mb/s SD cards when Costco online had them for about $30 each, and have not yet had a problem.... what should I expect?

Bruce

Apr 08, 2014 at 02:25 AM
Andrew J
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · PNY 128GB Elite Performance 90mb/s or SanDisk 64GB Extreme Pro 95mb/s - Thoughts?

I believe this is the main difference. If you have trouble with the Sandisk you will still be able to get your photos back using recovery software. If the pony card fails I highly doubt you will ever recover a single pic.

Apr 08, 2014 at 05:47 AM
Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · PNY 128GB Elite Performance 90mb/s or SanDisk 64GB Extreme Pro 95mb/s - Thoughts?

PNY is not really a known brand for memory cards. The better choice than PNY would be Transcend...and their stuff is on par with Lexar/Sandisk.

Apr 08, 2014 at 10:30 AM
Photo4Less

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · PNY 128GB Elite Performance 90mb/s or SanDisk 64GB Extreme Pro 95mb/s - Thoughts?

Are PNY phony cards then?

Andrew J wrote:
I believe this is the main difference. If you have trouble with the Sandisk you will still be able to get your photos back using recovery software. If the pony card fails I highly doubt you will ever recover a single pic.

Apr 08, 2014 at 11:13 AM
Photo4Less

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · PNY 128GB Elite Performance 90mb/s or SanDisk 64GB Extreme Pro 95mb/s - Thoughts?

Are PNY not really known only because they don't advertise as much as SanDisk, Transcend or Lexar? I'm guessing as the more you advertise the more you're going to want to up the price, though they do hold a reputable standard.

Sunny Sra wrote:
PNY is not really a known brand for memory cards. The better choice than PNY would be Transcend...and their stuff is on par with Lexar/Sandisk.

Apr 08, 2014 at 11:24 AM
Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · PNY 128GB Elite Performance 90mb/s or SanDisk 64GB Extreme Pro 95mb/s - Thoughts?

PNY is more known in the computer memory world and computer accessories (video cards etc).

lexar/sandisk have a proven track record...but they are losing a lot of ground to Transcend. Then comes kingston/pny/A-Data/Komputerbay/Delkin which make CF cards but i doubt they are nearly as fast as the others.

Apr 08, 2014 at 03:02 PM
Photo4Less

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · PNY 128GB Elite Performance 90mb/s or SanDisk 64GB Extreme Pro 95mb/s - Thoughts?

Thanks for the given facts rather than from ones perspective and opinions. I've learned something.
SanDisk it is, that way I can put my worries to sleep.

Sunny Sra wrote:
PNY is more known in the computer memory world and computer accessories (video cards etc).

lexar/sandisk have a proven track record...but they are losing a lot of ground to Transcend. Then comes kingston/pny/A-Data/Komputerbay/Delkin which make CF cards but i doubt they are nearly as fast as the others.

Apr 08, 2014 at 08:54 PM
bggary

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · PNY 128GB Elite Performance 90mb/s or SanDisk 64GB Extreme Pro 95mb/s - Thoughts?

I guess that's where I got confused. I've used PNY cards in computer contexts for some time, have never had an issue, so I couldn't understand why they would be more prone to fail in some way in a camera.

Apr 09, 2014 at 10:47 AM
dolina
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · PNY 128GB Elite Performance 90mb/s or SanDisk 64GB Extreme Pro 95mb/s - Thoughts?

So what is the verdict on PNY? I am looking at their 256GB and 128GB cards and the price is very competitive vs other brands at the same published write/read speeds.

Jun 07, 2014 at 02:14 PM
peter_n
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · PNY 128GB Elite Performance 90mb/s or SanDisk 64GB Extreme Pro 95mb/s - Thoughts?

Theoretically PNY memory reliability shouldn't be context specific. I've used them for years with computers and never had a failure like others here. I just bought a new PNY high capacity USB 3.0 stick over the weekend. I've used SanDisk and Transcend photo memory cards for years with the same results and rationally I suppose I should be getting PNY memory for my camera but I don't. I guess I'm superstitious too...

I'd look at as many reviews/comments as you can if you're seriously torn on price/performance. Even though PNY USB memory gets some flak for poor construction and some for failure rates, I've never had any issues even though sometimes the construction can be a bit borderline. Also I'd buy from a vendor with a good return policy and not on eBay.

Jun 09, 2014 at 09:59 AM
P00kienrayray
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · PNY 128GB Elite Performance 90mb/s or SanDisk 64GB Extreme Pro 95mb/s - Thoughts?

Tbh, I lose track with a 16gb card. I would go smaller. At 128gb, that's like having a hard drive in your camera that you can risk corrupting or losing.

Jun 16, 2014 at 11:45 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · PNY 128GB Elite Performance 90mb/s or SanDisk 64GB Extreme Pro 95mb/s - Thoughts?

The 70D can fill a 16GB rather quickly. Sometimes it's not practical to be fiddling around with card swaps in the field. The better crop cameras such as the D7000 and D7100 allow two SDxx cards for redundancy.

EBH

Jun 17, 2014 at 12:10 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.