Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Fisheye lens recommendations for A7/A7r?

Samuli Vahonen
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Fisheye lens recommendations for A7/A7r?

I would need 15-16mm fisheye lens (not interested 8mm circular image kind of fisheyes), which performs well f/8 and f/11. Also I would prefer quite cheap price as this lens won't get very much use. I once had EF-mount Sigma 15mm f/2.8, but I only used it on 3Mpix Canon D30 over short time period in 2002/2003, and looking those images can't say much about image quality, except overall contrast seemed fine, at least on 1.6x crop.

Performing well means to me:
- good contrast and microcontrast
- good flare resistance
- little aberrations
- performs well also in close-ups, not only 1-3m focus distance

Primary usage would be to shoot upwards from ground level in forest during daytime, but maybe also during night to shoot stars in the sky (minor usage so wide open performance is not that important).

Secondary usage would be to shoot from ground level 20-30 degree angle upwards flowers and other plants living in forest.

As any lens does fit physically to A7 and A7r, so I'm open to recommendations. Please tell your experiences in full frame cameras and your recommendations.

Samuli

Apr 06, 2014 at 02:42 AM
Astragony
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Fisheye lens recommendations for A7/A7r?

I think a good option is the canon 15mm 2.8.
It's a surprisingly sharp lens throughout the frame and is also fairly small.
I have not used it on my a7r but on my old 5d mk2 it was exceptional.
The only problem it has is some fringing at the corners in high contrast.

Apr 06, 2014 at 02:50 AM
arthurb
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Fisheye lens recommendations for A7/A7r?

I have used a Sigma 15mm fisheye for about 10 years now, as a wide angle on my crop sensor cameras. It is very sharp and any edge distortion can easily be corrected in post.....

Apr 06, 2014 at 03:44 AM
Sami Ruusunen
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Fisheye lens recommendations for A7/A7r?

Many divers praise the Sigma 15mm FE for underwater shots, haven't tried it myself. I like to use crop camera with the 8mm Samyang when I need fe which covers the whole frame.

I've seen some great shots from Bobu with D800E and Sigma 15 FE too, some examples here: https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1278286/0

Apr 06, 2014 at 04:01 AM
Bobu
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Fisheye lens recommendations for A7/A7r?

As Sami wrote I'm using FE lenses at the moment quite often for my underwater images.
The Sigma ist really very good. In my opinion as good as the better Zeiss lenses.
But ... and that's a big but ... I had to go through 5 samples of this lens to find a great one. And some of them were really terrible.

The only great alternative is to get the old Fisheye-Nikkor 1:3.5/16mm. Sharpness and microcontrast are comparable to the Sigma, sample variation should be much better but I prefer the colors of the Sigma. Another advantage of the Sigma is that it can focus much closer. The Nikon 3.5/16mm are difficult to get in good condition. I was looking for many weeks on Ebay.

The current Nikon 2.8/16mm FE is not as good as the Sigma or the old Nikkor but stopped down to f/8 or f/11 the differences are small.

Boris

Apr 06, 2014 at 04:13 AM
Samuli Vahonen
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Fisheye lens recommendations for A7/A7r?

Astragony wrote:
I think a good option is the canon 15mm 2.8.
It's a surprisingly sharp lens throughout the frame and is also fairly small.
I have not used it on my a7r but on my old 5d mk2 it was exceptional.
The only problem it has is some fringing at the corners in high contrast.

Thanks, didn't even think Canon as option. I checked reviews and sample photos; the corner issues seem quite bad (or then there is sample variance) and even Canon people say colours are muted.

Bobu wrote:
As Sami wrote I'm using FE lenses at the moment quite often for my underwater images.
The Sigma ist really very good. In my opinion as good as the better Zeiss lenses.
But ... and that's a big but ... I had to go through 5 samples of this lens to find a great one. And some of them were really terrible.

The only great alternative is to get the old Fisheye-Nikkor 1:3.5/16mm. Sharpness and microcontrast are comparable to the Sigma, sample variation should be much better but I prefer the colors of the Sigma. Another advantage of the Sigma is that it
...Show more
Thanks for the info Boris. Sigma and sample variation - would not like to have that struggle again. Also I have understood that Sigma (in Finland) won't let return and exchange to other copy as easily as in the past.

I searched locally and only thing available for testing before I buy was Leica Fisheye-Elmarit-R 16mm f/2.8 (=Minolta on Leica lens barrel).

Samuli

Apr 06, 2014 at 05:32 AM
SoulNibbler
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Fisheye lens recommendations for A7/A7r?

The minolta/sony AF version isn't too bad either and it supports AF. I had it on the A900 and its a reasonably compact lens. Nice an sharp though it can get a bit full of CA in the wrong situations.

Apr 06, 2014 at 08:01 AM
adnan76
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Fisheye lens recommendations for A7/A7r?

A strong recommendation for Olympus OM 16mm fisheye.

{edit} I should add, that as you're looking for corner performance; the vignetting in these photos was added in post.

Apr 06, 2014 at 10:10 AM
jhinkey
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Fisheye lens recommendations for A7/A7r?

I second the 16/3.5 AI Nikkor. On my D800 it's excellent in just about every regard.
One of these days I need to take it to the local pro shop and try it on a A7(r).
You have to be patient to find one - KEH has one or two available every year.

I like this lens so much I bought a second copy - they both have absolutely identical performance. The true AI version (i.e., not a converted AI) has slightly better flare/ghosting resistance. The 16/3.5 is noticeably better than the 16/2.8 AIS.

Apr 06, 2014 at 11:53 AM
freaklikeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Fisheye lens recommendations for A7/A7r?

Samuli Vahonen wrote:
I searched locally and only thing available for testing before I buy was Leica Fisheye-Elmarit-R 16mm f/2.8 (=Minolta on Leica lens barrel).

Samuli

The Minolta's good, though. You should try out the Leica and, if you like it, pick up a Rokkor for half the price or less on-line.

Apr 06, 2014 at 01:14 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Fisheye lens recommendations for A7/A7r?

The Nikkor 16/2.8 AF-D is quite good at f/8-11, but not that cheap.

Apr 06, 2014 at 02:25 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.