New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Selling from Canada to USA

Hillrg`
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Selling from Canada to USA

I tried to search on this topic as I'm sure it has been discussed before but I did not find anything, likely due to my inept search skills. Anyway, what are the issues around selling and shipping cameras and lenses from Canada to the USA besides crossing the border and shipping from inside the USA? Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks in advance
Rory

Apr 05, 2014 at 10:13 PM
anthonysemone
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Selling from Canada to USA

It sure isn't quick on a trip from BC to Philadelphia, no fault of the Seller. Canada Post says 4 to 10 business days for that trip and you'd better believe it

Edited on Apr 06, 2014 at 08:23 AM · View previous versions

Apr 05, 2014 at 10:31 PM
anthonysemone
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Selling from Canada to USA

Update: 6Apr14 FYI, if you are interested in following the item's progress, the last time Canada Post and USPS showed an update on my D700's location, it had left customs in San Francisco and was en route to delivery facility - which one? where? and that notice was posted at roughly 5PM Eastern on the 3rd. So you gotta have patience

Apr 06, 2014 at 08:23 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Selling from Canada to USA

Hi Rory,

I ship lots of stuff to the US.

I prefer sending by Canada Post (CPC) Expedited Parcel, for which you need to be a member of the VentureOne small business programme. It's free, and saves you about 10% on most transactions, plus it gives you access to "Expedited" shipping for Canada and the US. I've been in it for a long time, and so I don't recall if I had to submit my business number and/or registry of joint stocks number (to prove I actually have a business), but you can probably find out online.

I always send with full insurance coverage, which requires that you specify the correct full value on the customs declaration form (which is integrated into most CPC shipping forms). Here's the generic shipping and customs info that I attach to all of my eBay auctions.

"Shipping conditions: All shipping costs are paid by the buyer. Shipping is by Canada Post. Contact me before bidding if you want a different carrier."

"Customs: The customs declaration form will have an accurate description of all items and will show the actual price as the declared value. Any import duties, fees, or taxes must be paid by the buyer, and are not part of this auction."

You can usually get a handful of Expedited, XpressPost, International Parcel, and/or Small Packet Air shipping forms from your local CPC outlet, for free (if you ask nicely).

Here's the CPC web site for estimating shipping costs. It actually works very well, and shows you all available shipping options, which vary an amazing amount for specific countries outside of CA/US.

http://www.canadapost.ca/cpotools/apps/far/business/findARate?execution=e2s1

If you do ship outside of CA/US, be careful to not use International Parcel or Small Packet by "surface". It can take 6 to 10 weeks, because it`s shipped by ship. The parcel and packet "air" options are pretty good. In the past month, I've sent stuff to Croatia, Russia, and Finland, and they all arrived within about 14 days (5 days for Croatia). You're asking for big trouble if you ship international by surface. Any eBay buyer in his right mind will file a claim if it doesn't arrive before the 45 day claim period is up; you'll be dinged for a refund, and then he'll get the parcel - not good for the seller.

The max. CPC insurance coverage for US shipping is $1000 ($5000 for Canada), and so I ship more expensive things via FedEx.

https://www.fedex.com/ratefinder/home?source=gh&cc=ca&language=en

Use the "Get Detailed Quote" option to specify your own packing size & weight.

If you're shipping a $1,000+ digital camera via FedEx (or any courier), you have to fill out US FCC and "Commercial Import" forms, which is a real PITA. OTOH, it does work, but if you make an error or omission, it will be held in US customs until it's corrected. If your phone number is on the shipping label, they'll generally call you to let you know; otherwise, you won't find out about it until you contact them to see why it`s been in customs for so long.

For both CPC and FedEx, you'll need a Zip code in order to get a shipping estimate. I use 10001 (central NYC) and/or 93401 (SLO, Calif.) for my estimates (which are almost always identical). I also use 96796 (Hawaii), and/or 99513 (Anchorage AK) if the circumstances warrant.

As far as tracking goes, I agree with Anthony that it's slow to update, both for sending to the US and for receiving from the US. Here's the shipping info text that I send to US customers, after I've shipped the goods.

"Your lens was sent this afternoon. The tracking number is: xxx...xxx

Use the "Tracking Number" dialogue box at http://www.canadapost.ca/cpo/mc/default.jsf?LOCALE=en to check progress. Canada Post is about the same as USPS for updating tracking info, so don't be surprised if it comes to your door before the tracking system says it's left Canada.

Please let me know when it arrives, by leaving positive feedback.

Thanks again, Jim
"

Feel free to ask about anything specific that comes to mind.

Cheers,
Jim

Apr 06, 2014 at 10:17 AM
Hillrg`
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Selling from Canada to USA

Thanks to both of you, Jim and Anthony! Great info. Am I correct in assuming there are no duties on private sales of cameras and lenses from Canada to the USA?

Apr 06, 2014 at 08:42 PM
anthonysemone
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Selling from Canada to USA

Gentleman I bought my D700 from said "no" to duties so long as the postal system is used. This is my first Canada purchase so I don't personally know yet. I'll get my camera in 3-4 days or so and I can then let you know, but he's sold a lot of gear down here so I'd reckon he's a lot more knowledgeable than I am.

Apr 06, 2014 at 08:56 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Selling from Canada to USA

Hillrg` wrote:
Thanks to both of you, Jim and Anthony! Great info.

You're welcome.

Hillrg` wrote:
... Am I correct in assuming there are no
duties on private sales of cameras and lenses from Canada to the USA?

Lenses and cameras should be duty free going in both directions, new or used. OTOH, the buyer often has to pay local sales tax and a handling fee. It's 100% certain these will be charged when shipping by courier. Courier 'ground' fees are ridiculous. Sometimes mail gets in without being tagged for fees. Getting a freebie from the US is much less common for CA buyers with CPC in the past three or four months, than it was previously.

Apr 07, 2014 at 09:01 AM
anthonysemone
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Selling from Canada to USA

FWIW, just an update here on the D700 I've purchased from British Columbia. It took the camera body NINE (*&^) DAYS to go from Okotoks to its Departure from San Francisco - it sat in the Customs process for SIX of those F'G days. And it'll be at least THREE more days for the D700 to get delivered to me outside of Philly. Shipping method was via Canada Post Expedited USA If this is EXPEDITED, I can only imagine what a slower form of shipment would be.

At least one issue to be aware of when buying from Canada, at least very far West Canada - don't be in a hurry to get your order, expect it to sit on its boxed ass in Customs for a VERY long time. Yep we gotta protect everybody from all those dangerous goods.

Apr 10, 2014 at 08:51 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Selling from Canada to USA

anthonysemone wrote:
FWIW, just an update here on the D700 I've purchased from British Columbia. It took the camera body NINE (*&^) DAYS to go from Okotoks to its Departure from San Francisco - it sat in the Customs process for SIX of those F'G days. And it'll be at least THREE more days for the D700 to get delivered to me outside of Philly. Shipping method was via Canada Post Expedited USA If this is EXPEDITED, I can only imagine what a slower form of shipment would be.

At least one issue to be aware of
...Show more

Once it enters the USA, it's handled by USPS. TIme spent in customs is totally out of the control of CPC and USPS.

My shipments to and from CA/US by CPC Expedited mail and USPS Priority International usually spend a day or less in curstoms, going both ways. Digital cameras can be delayed at customs if the FCC and Commercial Import paperwork isn't completed correctly. They won't clear customs at all, until the papers are in order.

Apr 10, 2014 at 05:45 PM
anthonysemone
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Selling from Canada to USA

That could well explain it, although the seller has a ton of sales and all Great feedback here so it may be some Customs dweeb got a hair up his or her (trying to be all-inclusive) arse. Anyways it's in transit to Philly so while I won't have it for my trip on Saturday, at least I know it's on its way to me. I appreciate you giving me your experience, though. Take care , Tony

Apr 10, 2014 at 07:48 PM
MikeW
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Selling from Canada to USA

something I sold recently took a heck of a long time to get off the island to its destination in the US. Much longer than normal. Usually it is 6 odd days.

Apr 10, 2014 at 11:49 PM
anthonysemone
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Selling from Canada to USA

As the Worm turns: package left SFO on the 9th and was processed through the Philly sort facility at 11PM or so last night. I may yet get it today. 10 freakin' days. GRRRRRRR. Last transaction I ever do with anybody in Canada. Sorry guys...

Apr 11, 2014 at 06:17 AM
anthonysemone
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Selling from Canada to USA

FINAL INSTALLMENT: D700 is at my local PO and out for delivery today. BAM!! Out of SFO on the 9th in my hands by 1600 hours today. Now that's service!!! I now get to hook up my favorite MF lenses and take them to Canada with me

Apr 11, 2014 at 07:43 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Selling from Canada to USA

anthonysemone wrote:
... I now get to hook up my favorite MF lenses and take them to Canada with me

Nothing better to end the week on, than a touch of irony.

Apr 11, 2014 at 09:03 AM
anthonysemone
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Selling from Canada to USA

I would indeed regard it as ironic. I had actually thought early on to have Seller send it to my brother-in-law who lives in Toronto, but he doesn't have a Verified PP address. It would certainly have reduced the Customs screw-up.

On that note, I'd recommend that anybody in the US who is buying from Canada, if there is a major cross country shipment, to get Seller, at Buyer's cost, to upgrade the shipping method. I've done that with USPS, asking Seller to get US Express Mail, or whatever the hell it's called these days, and pay the difference between that cost and what Seller had allocated for shipping. It's worked out very well.

Apr 11, 2014 at 12:46 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Selling from Canada to USA

I sold my 1DsIII in 2012, to a notorious FM member. I mailed it to him from Baltimore MD, when I was there on a conference.

Apr 11, 2014 at 05:34 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Selling from Canada to USA

There are basically no issues. Don't know why Anthonysemone is whining so much. Shipping from U.S. To Canada by USPS is no faster.

Of course living in Nanaimo is a bit of a handicap.

Apr 18, 2014 at 12:07 AM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Selling from Canada to USA

Imagemaster wrote:
There are basically no issues. Don't know why Anthonysemone is whining so much. Shipping from U.S. To Canada by USPS is no faster.

And people wonder why I don't like to ship to the USA...

Of course living in Nanaimo is a bit of a handicap.

I would happily trade you...

Apr 24, 2014 at 10:49 AM
anthonysemone
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Selling from Canada to USA

Intriguing comment, Imagemaster (sic), that you interpreted my log of times of shipping from Canada to USA as "whining," , especially within the context of an answer to a question posed by a fellow member. But, as a Canadian friend of mine told me "we Canucks are a bit weird"

Apr 24, 2014 at 11:54 AM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.