Username  

FM Forum Rules
Macro World Resource

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Bald-faced hornet

Ecooper

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Bald-faced hornet

I haven't posted here for ages! For that matter I haven't done much photography for ages. I didn't lose interest, life just got a bit too busy.

But spring is here and its time to break out the camera gear and start shooting some bugs. In the meantime I've been going through my files and came across this picture of a bald-faced hornet (Dolichovespula maculata) that I shot last summer. I love the face on this beast...and the way these wasps rest with their front legs off the ground.

Cheers,
EC
www.macrocritters.wordpress.com

Camera: Olympus OM-D E-M5
Lens: Zuiko 60mm micro four thirds macro
Settings: manual exposure (F11 @ 1/160 sec)
Lighting: Olympus flash (I don't remember which one or the setting—oops!)
ISO: 200

Apr 05, 2014 at 07:15 PM
jkrebs

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Bald-faced hornet

Great capture!

Apr 05, 2014 at 10:18 PM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Bald-faced hornet

A lovely sepia-like image. That highlight at bottom right might usefully be cloned or cropped out.

Good to see someone else using Olympus m4/3.

That wierd cocoon, on your website, might creat a lot of interest here.

Harold

Apr 06, 2014 at 04:25 AM
a.RodriguezPix
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Bald-faced hornet

You have turned my fears, into art! A very lovely capture, and a way for me to see the beauty, rather than an inherent loathing, I seem to have had, for no other reason, than the mere existence, of these creatures, belonging to our Earth!

Apr 06, 2014 at 04:44 AM
Ecooper

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Bald-faced hornet

e6filmuser wrote:
A lovely sepia-like image. That highlight at bottom right might usefully be cloned or cropped out.

Good to see someone else using Olympus m4/3.

That wierd cocoon, on your website, might creat a lot of interest here.

Harold

Thanks! If I was going to print or publish the photo I might edit it a bit more. Actually I'd be more likely to clone out the fibre that is on the left side. But for the most part I don't worry about such details when the critter is photographed in the wild as it is a faithful depiction of nature. I tend to spend more time on such details when I shoot a critter in studio, say in a white box, where everything is supposed to be perfect.

Cheers,
EC

Apr 06, 2014 at 12:59 PM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Bald-faced hornet

Ecooper wrote:
If I was going to print or publish the photo I might edit it a bit more. Actually I'd be more likely to clone out the fibre that is on the left side. But for the most part I don't worry about such details when the critter is photographed in the wild as it is a faithful depiction of Cheers,

I largely agree with you. I am more concerned about highlights which contribute little and distract our attention. I am not concerned with general, natural dust, as my wife would agree!

Harold

Apr 06, 2014 at 01:16 PM
bladesofgrass
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Bald-faced hornet

Great detail, don't be afraid to post larger though. Hard to appreciate the detail from so small a pic.

Apr 07, 2014 at 06:19 PM
Ecooper

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Bald-faced hornet

e6filmuser wrote:
I largely agree with you. I am more concerned about highlights which contribute little and distract our attention. I am not concerned with general, natural dust, as my wife would agree!

Harold

You know, since you have pointed it out I can't look at the photo without noticing the highlight! Now its going to bug me until I go back and edit the original! ! And while I'm at it I'll deal with that fibre...

EC

Apr 07, 2014 at 07:02 PM
Ecooper

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Bald-faced hornet

bladesofgrass wrote:
Great detail, don't be afraid to post larger though. Hard to appreciate the detail from so small a pic.

Thanks. Good to know...I'll post much larger in the future!

EC

Apr 07, 2014 at 07:03 PM
densum87

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Bald-faced hornet

Awesome shot! I saw a hornet this morning and ran. If I were smaller I would be deathly afraid of this beast!

Apr 08, 2014 at 02:19 PM
Ecooper

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Bald-faced hornet

densum87 wrote:
Awesome shot! I saw a hornet this morning and ran. If I were smaller I would be deathly afraid of this beast!

Thanks! You know, I've never been stung by a critter that I was photographing. I've been stung many times by accidently grabbing a wasp or bee, and I’ve been stung way too many times by getting too close to a wasp nest out of curiosity! But they don’t seem to get aggressive when my camera looms over them…they generally just fly away.

EC

Apr 08, 2014 at 03:24 PM
kmunroe
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Bald-faced hornet

bladesofgrass wrote:

+1

Apr 09, 2014 at 05:06 AM
eric.m.berry3

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Bald-faced hornet

Great

Apr 09, 2014 at 11:30 AM
Ecooper

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Bald-faced hornet

kmunroe wrote:
+1

How is this?

P8290302 bald faced hornet portrait copyright Ernie Cooper 2013 by ernie.cooper, on Flickr

Apr 09, 2014 at 04:28 PM

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.