Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · NASL Indy Eleven vs Chicago Fire & IU Soccer

schlotz
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · NASL Indy Eleven vs Chicago Fire & IU Soccer

I been fortunate to have been chosen as one of three photographers for the newly formed Indy Eleven soccer team (North American Soccer League). While the season startup is next Saturday some friendly matches have taken place this week which has allowed me the opportunity to dust off some rust that accumulated over the long winter (anyone else notice how long it was this year - dang!)

- First three are from the Chicago Fire match held at Purdue University's Soccer Stadium
- Last four are from the Indiana University match held yesterday at Carroll Stadium here in Indianapolis (IUPUI Campus and Indy Eleven's home field).

C&C always welcome!

Matt

Indy's Chris Estridge

Indy's latest acquisition Jose Kleberson from Brazil

Chicago Fire's Logan Pause

Indy's Walter Ramirez

Indy's Andrew Stone

Edited on Apr 06, 2014 at 09:26 AM · View previous versions

Apr 05, 2014 at 03:16 PM
schlotz
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · NASL Indy Eleven vs Chicago Fire & IU Soccer

final two...

..something about the last one keeps tugging at ya

Matt

Indy's Kevin Rozo

Indy's Brad Ring

Apr 05, 2014 at 03:20 PM
coreybell
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · NASL Indy Eleven vs Chicago Fire & IU Soccer

Schlotz, these are great shots and congratulations on your selection. I wanted to get to the match at IUPUI but wasn't able to. I know the lighting up at Purdue was tough, the 1st three the color looks a little off on my cheapo laptop. Action, composition, exposure are all awesome!!

Apr 05, 2014 at 03:48 PM
lhryshko
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · NASL Indy Eleven vs Chicago Fire & IU Soccer

Some great shots here Matt. The last three action shots are faves. Congratulations!

Apr 05, 2014 at 04:02 PM
Russ Isabella
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · NASL Indy Eleven vs Chicago Fire & IU Soccer

Beautiful work, Matt. If this organization's choosing of its coaching staff was as on-target as its choice of photographer, they should have great success!

Apr 05, 2014 at 11:19 PM
schlotz
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · NASL Indy Eleven vs Chicago Fire & IU Soccer

Russ, your support continues to be greatly appreciated, my friend! The fact I got here is largely due to your helpful advise. Being able to work at the next level has re-energized my passion for shooting the sport I so love. Thank you

Corey, the lighting at Purdue's stadium was interesting, a minimum 3 stop difference depending where you were pointed on a field. Color is tough with most cycling lights, unfortunately. Thanks for the comment.

Larry, glad you like the action. It's what I really enjoy shooting. Thanks for the kind words.

Apr 06, 2014 at 09:17 AM
PennsyBill
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · NASL Indy Eleven vs Chicago Fire & IU Soccer

Very nice images and I'm especially happy to see someone else who doesn't shoot all vertical shots -- and who also likes shots stretched a bit from 8x10 and 8x12 - I call them panorama-lite. I like them because the more faces in a photo the more potential customers.
Good luck in your new adventure.

Apr 06, 2014 at 01:17 PM
schlotz
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · NASL Indy Eleven vs Chicago Fire & IU Soccer

PennsyBill wrote:
Very nice images and I'm especially happy to see someone else who doesn't shoot all vertical shots -- and who also likes shots stretched a bit from 8x10 and 8x12 - I call them panorama-lite. I like them because the more faces in a photo the more potential customers.
Good luck in your new adventure.

Interesting... I've been forced to adapt to a sudo landscape format as the NASL, and believe the MLS also, require it. For the NASL its a weird 1.76 ratio ex) 740 x 420. It appears they developed a cookie cutter mentality who's regimented style is 180º in the opposite direction of how many shoot the game, ie portrait. Hey, when you shoot for the man, he is in charge - unfortunately

From a technical shooting perspective, the downside to horizontal is that it further restricts the use of the 400mm as the action comes closer with both heads and feet going off frame quicker. Personally don't care for restrictions when attempting to capture peak soccer action as this is one of the more difficult sports to shoot. Regardless, there are places the panorama-lite seems to work pretty good so at least this has opened my eyes to alternate potentials

Thanks for the comment William!

Matt

Edited on Apr 07, 2014 at 02:44 PM · View previous versions

Apr 07, 2014 at 10:23 AM
jha222

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · NASL Indy Eleven vs Chicago Fire & IU Soccer

Love the first one, such a good focus.

Apr 07, 2014 at 01:11 PM
Russ Isabella
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · NASL Indy Eleven vs Chicago Fire & IU Soccer

Hey Matt, just keep in mind that the need to end up with a horizontal frame does not prevent you (completely) from shooting vertically. Obviously this won't always work, but I've gotten plenty of very good horizontal images (in both basketball and soccer) from shots taken with a vertical orientation. Especially when you think about all those downfield shots with the 400 where your subjects aren't even filling half the frame, there's lots of room for being creative with your crop.

Apr 07, 2014 at 02:55 PM
schlotz
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · NASL Indy Eleven vs Chicago Fire & IU Soccer

Good point Russ. Now if only cropping from such a distance would yield something acceptable Yeah, I get some but getting one at night from the opposite goal really is pushing it a bit

Apr 07, 2014 at 03:35 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.