Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2014 · Purely landscapes: 5D3 advantages over existing 5D2 ?

Sunny Alan
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Purely landscapes: 5D3 advantages over existing 5D2 ?

I have my 5D2 with 24-105, 50 f 1.2, 17 Tokina (Looking for a best lens covering 24-70 )

Main question is should I exchange 5D2 to 5D3 for it's said advantages like Multiple exposure, over 5d2 ?
Multiple exposure is a great advantage when esp. enlarge printing, I think. Other latest features advantages too.

But I lose quite lot on the exchange.
Is it worthwhile, value for money is my dilemma.

If yes, many of you say, I will go that way.

Please help.

Apr 05, 2014 at 01:38 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Purely landscapes: 5D3 advantages over existing 5D2 ?

If you will only be using low ISO and you don't particularly need the dual card slots then no there is no real advantage in upgrading for what you do.

I still use my 1Ds3, 5D2 and 5D3 more or less interchangeably for low ISO stationary subjects (I still think the 1Ds3 is the king here, just)

Not sure why you'd want multiple exposures for landscapes - possibly bracketing to combine in post but that's your business, of course the 5D2 has auto bracketing

Apr 05, 2014 at 02:02 AM
ggreene
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Purely landscapes: 5D3 advantages over existing 5D2 ?

I'm not sure it's a huge advantage but if you like doing nighttime landscapes with milky way type starry skies the 5D3 is a pretty nice upgrade over the 5D2 for it's noise levels.

Apr 05, 2014 at 02:40 AM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Purely landscapes: 5D3 advantages over existing 5D2 ?

ggreene wrote:
I'm not sure it's a huge advantage but if you like doing nighttime landscapes with milky way type starry skies the 5D3 is a pretty nice upgrade over the 5D2 for it's noise levels.

But then you may as well buy a 6D instead!

IMO purely for landscapes there is next to no reason for a 5d3 over a 5d2

Apr 05, 2014 at 03:01 AM
sb in ak
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Purely landscapes: 5D3 advantages over existing 5D2 ?

If you need to push shadows, you'll notice a slight advantage. The 6D being better than the 5D3.

If anything, get the 6D, not the 5D3.

Apr 05, 2014 at 03:06 AM
justruss
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Purely landscapes: 5D3 advantages over existing 5D2 ?

ggreene wrote:

Really?

I'd actually think the 6D is better if you're after higher-ISO (possibly longer low-iso) exposures, or slightly better DR.

The main thing is going to be amp glow for long, dark exposures. The 5D2 is superb on this front (very little glow). I don't know about the 5D3/6D.

Personally, if landscape was all I was doing, I'd hold out for something else. There will not be much, if any noticeable difference going 5D2 --> 5d3/6D for normal, low-ISO shots. I'd wait for a better sensor upgrade, or look at using a Sony A7r w/ adaptor (landscapes don't move), or something with better DR and/or higher resolution.

The 5D2 still produces Nat Geo landscape images, large gallery prints, and other (literally) award winning photography in the landscape category. No editor or gallery curator will notice a jump to 5D3 for such images displayed on screen or printed at any size.

Save your money. Focus on something else, like: saving for an upgrade down the line, buying a lens you're missing, taking a trip to a place you'd like to shoot... taking someone out to dinner.

Apr 05, 2014 at 03:08 AM
KiboOst
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Purely landscapes: 5D3 advantages over existing 5D2 ?

Canon landscape = A7R
:-)

Apr 05, 2014 at 03:15 AM
Gyroscope
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Purely landscapes: 5D3 advantages over existing 5D2 ?

I agree. I have both and image quality is virtually identical. I like the 5D3 lcd better though. I bought my 5d3 for wildlife use. For landscape I use them interchangeably.

justruss wrote:
Really?

I'd actually think the 6D is better if you're after higher-ISO (possibly longer low-iso) exposures, or slightly better DR.

The main thing is going to be amp glow for long, dark exposures. The 5D2 is superb on this front (very little glow). I don't know about the 5D3/6D.

Personally, if landscape was all I was doing, I'd hold out for something else. There will not be much, if any noticeable difference going 5D2 --> 5d3/6D for normal, low-ISO shots. I'd wait for a better sensor upgrade, or look at using a Sony A7r w/ adaptor (landscapes don't move), or
...Show more

Apr 05, 2014 at 05:03 AM
Emile Gregoire
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Purely landscapes: 5D3 advantages over existing 5D2 ?

The goodies of the 5D3 are not substantial enough for landscape photography to warrant the investment, IMO. For all other types of photography I'd have a different point of view, just not for landscapes.

Apr 05, 2014 at 05:40 AM
kiddik
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Purely landscapes: 5D3 advantages over existing 5D2 ?

I also had 5D2 for years and then 5D3 for two years. Landscape quality is virtually identical, a little less color noise banding when pulling shadows on the 5D3 like everyone here says, but straight out of camera the files are almost identical. I agree with Gyroscope that the LCD is better, in fact I found it to be much, much better - much easier to judge sharpness and details. Also, the electronic level in 5D3/6D is incredibly helpful in my opinion, and the level gets even better when paired with the GP-E2 GPS add-on. 5D3 also keeps it sensor incredibly clean, I have never cleaned my 5D3's sensor in two years and no specks or dust still! 5D2 had to have regular cleaning. But I guess 6D is the best native Canon choice for high-ISO landscapes at the moment.

Apr 05, 2014 at 05:45 AM
gabimaster
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Purely landscapes: 5D3 advantages over existing 5D2 ?

get a 6D, it's the best for what you do !!!!!

Apr 05, 2014 at 05:48 AM
Tapeman
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Purely landscapes: 5D3 advantages over existing 5D2 ?

I have a 5D2 and no experience with the 5D3 or 6D.

IMO, skip a generation. Wait for the 5D?. That's what I'm doing, and I would reap more of the benefits the 5D3's autofocus improvements as I shoot more wildlife than landscape.

Edited on Apr 05, 2014 at 09:32 AM · View previous versions

Apr 05, 2014 at 07:10 AM
Emile Gregoire
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Purely landscapes: 5D3 advantages over existing 5D2 ?

Tapeman wrote:
IMO, skip a generation. Wait for the 5D?

You'd have to wait till 2005 and can grow quite old before that happens

Apr 05, 2014 at 07:28 AM
codyconway
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Purely landscapes: 5D3 advantages over existing 5D2 ?

I would pass on the 5D mk III as it will not offer significant benefits for what you are going to be utilizing it for. If you feel the 5D II is holding you back, then look into the 6D, at low ISO it has slightly higher Dynamic Range than the 5D III, and it has a notch better in high ISO noise for star scape photography. The center point AF is outstanding, plus you get the benefits of having wifi for remotely shooting with your smart phone, as well as GPS to remember the location and direction you were facing for each shot...

However, the a7r + metabones adapter should be on your list if its STRICTLY for landscape, since you will rule all of the canons up to date in Dynamic range . . . and MP

Apr 05, 2014 at 07:44 AM
wsheldon
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Purely landscapes: 5D3 advantages over existing 5D2 ?

dhphoto wrote:
Not sure why you'd want multiple exposures for landscapes - possibly bracketing to combine in post but that's your business, of course the 5D2 has auto bracketing

Presumably for HDR. If so, then the 6D or 5D mark III would definitely be helpful, because they support 2, 3, 5 or 7 frame AEB, whereas the 5D mark II only supports 3 frame. The 6D has in-camera HDR support too, but only for JPEGs (not sure about the mark III in that regard).

Others have also mentioned the improved LCD, but for night shooting (or using strong ND/black glass filters) the Live View on the 6D and mark III (I believe) can boost the signal enough that you can actually see to focus in near blackness. I used to have to prefocus before mounting my 8-stop ND filter, but with the 6D and liveview I can actually see the scene and adjust focus/composition with the thing mounted. Major advantage of the new electronics there.

Apr 05, 2014 at 07:57 AM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Purely landscapes: 5D3 advantages over existing 5D2 ?

wsheldon wrote:
Presumably for HDR. If so, then the 6D or 5D mark III would definitely be helpful, because they support 2, 3, 5 or 7 frame AEB, whereas the 5D mark II only supports 3 frame. The 6D has in-camera HDR support too, but only for JPEGs (not sure about the mark III in that regard).

True, but you can get a remote shutter release like pro remote or one of the other cheaper brands and get all this functionality plus more for much less cost. I don't see the value of the upgrade to the 5d3 just to get more bracketing. Other much cheaper ways to skin that cat.

Apr 05, 2014 at 08:33 AM
codyconway
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Purely landscapes: 5D3 advantages over existing 5D2 ?

wsheldon wrote:
. The 6D has in-camera HDR support too, but only for JPEGs (not sure about the mark III in that regard).

5D Mark III can do HDR with raw compatibility, and saves the original image files as well as the final HDR image, would be a benefit over the 6D In this regards, but I always just do a manual HDR with raw, switch to jpg, and do a HDR in camera.

Apr 05, 2014 at 08:52 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Purely landscapes: 5D3 advantages over existing 5D2 ?

If I was going to do HDR I wouldn't rely on the camera to do it, I'd do it myself.

Each to their own but I don't want the camera making those decisions for me, plus I'd want to process the RAW files myself first.

Apr 05, 2014 at 08:55 AM
Jeff Nolten
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Purely landscapes: 5D3 advantages over existing 5D2 ?

I agree with DH, I experimented with in-camera HDR on my 5D3 and found the results unnatural looking. I did much better taking the set of raw files and combining them in post.

To the original question, I find my 5D2 and 5D3 virtually identical for landscape work, except for the level and GPS as mentioned. An inexpensive bubble level that fits the flash bracket works too and the GP-E2 GPS software can add position info (but not elevation or view direction) in post.

Apr 05, 2014 at 11:05 AM
GammyKnee
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Purely landscapes: 5D3 advantages over existing 5D2 ?

dhphoto wrote:
If I was going to do HDR I wouldn't rely on the camera to do it, I'd do it myself.

Each to their own but I don't want the camera making those decisions for me, plus I'd want to process the RAW files myself first.

Ditto.
And the extra bracketing options on the newer bodies can be had on the 5DII if you install Magic Lantern.

Personally I'd only upgrade for landscapes if the OP wants to get shots of starry night skies (cleaner high ISO), or is maybe heavily into long exposures during daytime. For the latter, I would think the 6D or 5DIII would help you to recompose/refocus in LV even with filters in place; I've found this is a curious weakness with my 5DII, even my 7D did better in this regard.

Apr 05, 2014 at 11:26 AM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.