Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       4      
       end

Archive 2014 · Help: Wide lens near 24 .

Sunny Alan
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #1 · p.5 #1 · Help: Wide lens near 24 .

I want a zoom anyway apart from the 24 Tse to cover between 24 to 70 or more.
I am told Canon 24-70 is a fantastic one for this purpose, than any other.

But is this so fundamentally superior in IQ, somewhere 35 to 70, so as I toss my 24-105 and buy this costly glass?
If a definite YES is the answer, I dont mind, IQ is the prime consideration.

Remember, I am using the best, middle FLs alone of the 24-105, which is almost good.
So, if it is a 'not that much', whatever ca or other problem can be solved in LR or PS, without sacrificing IQ, I am jumping on my toes....

Apr 17, 2014 at 09:58 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.5 #2 · p.5 #2 · Help: Wide lens near 24 .

Sunny Alan wrote:
I want a zoom anyway apart from the 24 Tse to cover between 24 to 70 or more.
I am told Canon 24-70 is a fantastic one for this purpose, than any other.

But is this so fundamentally superior in IQ, somewhere 35 to 70, so as I toss my 24-105 and buy this costly glass?
If a definite YES is the answer, I dont mind, IQ is the prime consideration.

Remember, I am using the best, middle FLs alone of the 24-105, which is almost good.
So, if it is a 'not that much', whatever ca or other problem can be solved
...Show more

I like your thinking here—beyond the "lens x great, lens y bad" sort of thing.

I have the opportunity to shoot with both the 24-70 f/2.8 L II and the 24-105mm f/4 L IS. Given the opportunity to choose between them... there are some occasions when I would choose the 24-70 and some when I would choose the 24-105. The reasons are, to some extent, personal and related to the subjects I might shoot and the conditions in which I shoot them, along with various other practical considerations. In either case, I would know that I could produce very high quality photographs, though absolute resolution is not the only thing that I consider.

If you need to shoot wide open, don't need IS, and are happy with the 24-70 range, the 24-70mm zoom is really a fine lens.

If you are fine with f/4, benefit from IS, and value the additional focal length range in your shooting, the 24-105 is also a fine lens.

If your concerns about image quality are weighted towards the middle of the focal length range, issues you have with comparisons of resolution and so forth between the two options will likely be a smaller consideration for you. The same would be true if you tend to shoot at smaller apertures. For example, while we could debate the significance of the optical characteristics of the two lenses wide open at f/4 (and come to a range of personal conclusions), at 50mm and especially at moderate to small apertures, the 24-105 is really very good.

Dan

Apr 17, 2014 at 10:45 AM
Tapeman
• • •
p.5 #3 · p.5 #3 · Help: Wide lens near 24 .

There is no perfect choice you can make. The beauty of the situation is that most of the lenses you are considering are excellent and will serve you well.

Any lens you buy will have it's weaknesses and you will second guess your decision at some point.

I own three lenses (zooms) that will shoot at 24mm. I would like to narrow that down to two, but I am having a hard time letting go of my 24-105.

Apr 17, 2014 at 01:01 PM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.