Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Best current focus-confirm chip?

Cableaddict
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Best current focus-confirm chip?

Hey folks.

I need a few chips, and haven't purchased any in quite a few years. As of maybe 2 years ago, it seemed to me that the "best" all-around chip was the Optics V6. - It allowed ANY f-number to be tagged, and it had a simple way to toggle "auto shutter." They also had a "date stamp" function. - plus fairly easy overall to program.

At that time, the EMF chip was a close second, but not as elegant. The Optics had more levels of focus adjustment.

Today I looked on Ebay, and I can't find Optics chips anywhere. I assume they are no longer made? I do see some adapters with EMF chips. Are these better than the old "dandelion" EMF's from a few years ago?

---------------------

Bottom line: What do you consider the best chip currently available, and why?

- Thanks.

Apr 04, 2014 at 05:03 PM
JimBuchanan
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Best current focus-confirm chip?

For Canon EOS, the European made "Euro" Dandelion or TagoTech programmable chip is the one I use.

Apr 04, 2014 at 08:05 PM
Cableaddict
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Best current focus-confirm chip?

JimBuchanan wrote:
For Canon EOS, the European made "Euro" Dandelion or TagoTech programmable chip is the one I use.

Hey, Jim. That's the EMF, correct? Or a variation?

Does it let you program ANY aperture number?

Does it use the DOF button to disable "auto shutter" ?

Apr 04, 2014 at 09:00 PM
JimBuchanan
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Best current focus-confirm chip?

Hey Cable, where you been?

Not sure about EMF, but almost any "maximum"aperture can be coded. Exception being for example f/1.7 is not a choice, just 1.6 and 1.8.

function f9 is the auto shutter, I believe.

http://www.tagotech.com/pic/chip_programming_instruction_4feb14.pdf

Apr 04, 2014 at 09:23 PM
Cableaddict
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Best current focus-confirm chip?

Thanks, Jim. That's a huge help.

(I've been having troubles with my business, not much time these days for photography, but Spring is here.....)

From the manual, this seems to be exactly the same as the chip they were selling a few years ago. (the "type 4,", as it was called then.) That's a chip I will NEVER use. You actually have to partially unlock / turn your lens in order to get into programming mode. (even to toggle auto-shutter.)

I sometimes like to make changes on location, exp when the light is low, so NO THANKS to the EMF !

Does anyone know if the Optics chips are still available, somewhere?

Edited on Apr 05, 2014 at 03:33 AM · View previous versions

Apr 04, 2014 at 11:29 PM
timballic
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Best current focus-confirm chip?

Perhaps the reason you can't find it is that it's called Optix, not Optics! Still made in v5 and 6

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/100-New-Optix-V5-AF-Confirm-PCB-Chip-for-Canon-EOS-/380347688026?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item588e7d245a

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/100-New-Optix-V6-AF-Confirm-PCB-Chip-for-Canon-EOS-Can-Store-3-Lens-Config-/380461633699?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item589547d0a3

Apr 05, 2014 at 03:03 AM
sxgva
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Best current focus-confirm chip?

+1
I've been using optix chips since 5d3 came out and I can't recommend it highly enough. I mostly use version 5+. I do have a few 6 but don't seem to need its features.

timballic wrote:
Perhaps the reason you can't find it is that it's called Optix, not Optics! Still made in v5 and 6

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/100-New-Optix-V5-AF-Confirm-PCB-Chip-for-Canon-EOS-/380347688026?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item588e7d245a

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/100-New-Optix-V6-AF-Confirm-PCB-Chip-for-Canon-EOS-Can-Store-3-Lens-Config-/380461633699?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item589547d0a3

Apr 05, 2014 at 07:30 AM
sandycrane
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Best current focus-confirm chip?

I rely on my focus confirmation a lot on my Nikon d700 using Nikon MF lenses. I have tried a couple of chipped adapters for my Nikon lenses on Canon 5Dc and 5Dii but have found the confirmation LED inconsistent and squirrely. Has anyone had success in getting meaningful focus confirmation from any of the available chips?
Thanks.

Apr 05, 2014 at 08:07 AM
timballic
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Best current focus-confirm chip?

Is the Optix v5 a lot better than the Dandelion v4, once they're programmed? The Dandelion is £3 cheaper.
I don't care about focus confirmation as I only use it for the exif data to identify what was shot with what.

Apr 05, 2014 at 08:46 AM
JimBuchanan
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Best current focus-confirm chip?

Cableaddict wrote:
From the manual, this seems to be exactly the same as the chip they were selling a few years ago. (the "type 4,", as it was called then.) That's a chip I will NEVER use. You actually have to partially unlock / turn your lens in order to get into programming mode. (even to toggle auto-shutter.)

Well, see there. I just learned something. I was not aware of the Optix chip, however besides a more sensitive chip or more front/back focus adjustments, I've never really needed any additional features.

Apr 05, 2014 at 09:05 AM
Cableaddict
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Best current focus-confirm chip?

JimBuchanan wrote:
Well, see there. I just learned something. I was not aware of the Optix chip, however besides a more sensitive chip or more front/back focus adjustments, I've never really needed any additional features.

Understood. If it weren't for wanting to toggle that "auto-shutter" feature, I wouldn't care either.

- But that IS important to me. Mostly I hate that feature. Drives me nuts. But in low-light conditions (precisely when you don't want to be fumbling with your lend connection) it can be a life-saver. The Optix 6 seems like the best chip right now, and boy am I glad it's still being made.

Thanks, all, for your help.

Apr 05, 2014 at 04:16 PM
Cableaddict
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Best current focus-confirm chip?

timballic wrote:
Is the Optix v5 a lot better than the Dandelion v4, once they're programmed? The Dandelion is £3 cheaper.
I don't care about focus confirmation as I only use it for the exif data to identify what was shot with what.

In that case, the only thing (IMO) that might be a factor is if you have an odd aperture lens, like the Vivtar Series-1 90/2.5 macro, the Series-1 135/2.3, the Zuiko 28/3.5, the Zeiss 35-70/3.6, and the Nikon 105/2.5 - All fabulous lenses that I own.
As far as I can tell, you can't program those numbers into the EXIF data with the EMF / TAGO TECH chips, but you can with the Optix.

(Jim, please correct me if I'm wrong.)

Personally, I like having the right number in the EXIF, especially if I've been out shooting with many lenses in one day.

Apr 05, 2014 at 04:19 PM
Michael Gordon
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Best current focus-confirm chip?

I like the way the Optix chips program with the dof preview button but the emf
seems to result in more accurate metering as the max aperture is inputted. I have the Optix V and don't know if that has changed.

Apr 05, 2014 at 06:25 PM
Cableaddict
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Best current focus-confirm chip?

Michael Gordon wrote:
I like the way the Optix chips program with the dof preview button but the emf
seems to result in more accurate metering as the max aperture is inputted.......

Say what? ! ! !

Can you explain this further?

- And can anyone confirm this?

Apr 05, 2014 at 06:48 PM
Michael Gordon
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Best current focus-confirm chip?

Have largely used Optix chips and generally use manual mode and chimp so the metering errors when stopped down don't bother me. Optix V does not enable one to input max aperture of the lens and with this chip using aperture priority metering there are errors when stopped down--usually progressive overexposure as one stops down, IIRC. The emf chip metering seemed close to correct at least for many lens/cam combinations. I don't believe this is anything new. I hate the shutter programming idea with the emf and a hybrid chip using using the best features of both would be most welcome.

Apr 05, 2014 at 08:37 PM
timballic
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Best current focus-confirm chip?

Does the Sony A7/r with Metabones III read/record the lens data from a Dandelion/Optix chip?

Apr 09, 2014 at 04:04 AM
Cableaddict
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Best current focus-confirm chip?

Michael Gordon wrote:
Have largely used Optix chips and generally use manual mode and chimp so the metering errors when stopped down don't bother me. Optix V does not enable one to input max aperture of the lens and with this chip using aperture priority metering there are errors when stopped down--usually progressive overexposure as one stops down, IIRC. The emf chip metering seemed close to correct at least for many lens/cam combinations. ......

I understand what you are saying, but not the reason behind it.

Something about programming a second aperture setting? I'm thinking it would be easier to just be aware of the problem, and always bump your EC when stopping down - which is what I usually do with my older chips. (Which yes, have this problem)

Apr 10, 2014 at 05:52 PM
Peterk78
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Best current focus-confirm chip?

Hey, I hope someone here can help me. I just bought a Rokinon 14mm lens, and I'm wondering if the Optix chips discussed above are compatible with that lens mounted on a 5DIII. If so, is there a primer or something on how to "program" these chips? Should I be looking for the v5 or v6?

I would be looking for focus confirm, but am interested what else can be achieved with these chips. The description in the listing below seems to indicate that the shutter can be held down and will be released when you manually pass over the point of focus? That would be awesome in low light.

I found this listing on ebay USA, which says it comes with a manual: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/100-New-Optix-V5-AF-Confirm-PCB-Chip-for-Canon-EOS-/380880130358?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item58ae399136

Any help appreciated. Thanks very much!

Peter

Apr 30, 2014 at 01:46 PM
Cableaddict
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Best current focus-confirm chip?

Peterk78 wrote:
....The description in the listing below seems to indicate that the shutter can be held down and will be released when you manually pass over the point of focus? That would be awesome in low light.

It is indeed helpful in low light.

The problem is, is a major PITA the rest of the time. It must be as simple as possible to turn this feature no/off, which is partially discussed, above.

As for the ver 5 + (not the older V5) vs ver 6, they both have this "trap" feature. I THINK the only difference is that the ver 6 can hold info on more than one lens. - but maybe it holds info on more than one aperture setting? I can't find the answer.

May 05, 2014 at 02:37 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.