Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2014 · Best reasonable set for shooting wildlife?

azenis
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Best reasonable set for shooting wildlife?

I'm not sure where to post this, but I'll try it here as I'm a Nikon shooter at heart.

My dad is looking for a setup that would allow him to shoot wildlife (relatively stationary birds/not flying). He thought about some setup that would attach a camera to a bi/monocular. But I think that setup would probably not be very good IQ-wise.

He stills want some mobility, so big F2.8 teles are probably out. He tried with some P&S megazooms, but the result wasn't very satisfying.

So I'm wondering, given an approximate budget of 2~3k TOP, what would be an ideal setup?

Ideally, I think his problem with "results" is because of camera shake and the slow focusing speed. Hence, some VR+fast AF would be needed.

Is a DSLR+smaller tele lens like 80-400mm the best or any megazoom that I haven't looked?

Since he needs mainly the reach... I was thinking a mirrorless like Nikon 1 plus some AF tele lens? How does the 1 system perform with say 80-400mm? Is the AF speed up for the task?

Thanks!

Edit: I'm not really limited to Nikon system... all other systems are welcome as long as they can get what my dad needs.

Apr 04, 2014 at 01:30 PM
BenV
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Best reasonable set for shooting wildlife?

D7100 with you 300 f4, no vr tho...

Apr 04, 2014 at 01:43 PM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Best reasonable set for shooting wildlife?

If you're willing to wait for it's release, the new Tamron 150-600 in Nikon mount should produce excellent results paired with a D7100. If you want something sooner, you can get it in the Canon mount with Canon's 70D behind it and still get very good results, -or- you could use Canon's current 100-400L or their 400/5.6L, both of which are fairly light for lenses with that kind of reach.

Nikon's new 80-400G is a very nice lens, but it's cost is the same as your budget alone- but pared with a D7100, would provide the best results.

Apr 04, 2014 at 01:43 PM
Mr. Clean
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Best reasonable set for shooting wildlife?

D5xxxx camera and a Tamron 75-300 VC. Then use some of the remaining proceeds for maybe a walkaround lens, tripod, bag.
Just another option!

Apr 04, 2014 at 01:50 PM
azenis
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Best reasonable set for shooting wildlife?

Thanks for all the comments.

Anyone has experience with tele lens on Nikon 1 with adapter? I think the Nikon adapter retains the AF capability, but how about the focusing speed?

I was thinking maybe the new V3+80-400mm VR or some 3rd party AF lenses.

The reasoning of using Nikon 1 is its 2.7x factor. It adds so much more reach than the 1.5x on APS-C. And this is a system that targets only its telephoto capability... as my dad shoots Leica for walk-around.

Apr 04, 2014 at 01:56 PM
evan47
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Best reasonable set for shooting wildlife?

d7100, 300f4 af-s, tc14ii.

Apr 04, 2014 at 02:01 PM
Mr. Clean
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Best reasonable set for shooting wildlife?

azenis wrote:
Thanks for all the comments.

Anyone has experience with tele lens on Nikon 1 with adapter? I think the Nikon adapter retains the AF capability, but how about the focusing speed?

I was thinking maybe the new V3+80-400mm VR or some 3rd party AF lenses.

The reasoning of using Nikon 1 is its 2.7x factor. It adds so much more reach than the 1.5x on APS-C. And this is a system that targets only its telephoto capability... as my dad shoots Leica for walk-around.

No hands on experience here, from what is said about it though, it should work fine.

Try this?

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/nikon-v3/nikon-v3A.HTM

Apr 04, 2014 at 02:37 PM
binary visions
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Best reasonable set for shooting wildlife?

For casual, "I saw this" captures, the new 70-300mm 1-series lens plus the Nikon V3 looks pretty tasty. ~800mm equivalent, light and small, with VR, no adapters to worry about. It's going to be a lot more limited at high ISO than a DSLR, though. Focus speed will be/is very good on the 1-series.

For a budget, a refurbished D7000 + 300mm f/4 + 1.4x or 1.7x converter will produce excellent results for under $2000. High ISO will be much better than the 1-series. The 300mm f/4 has impeccable image quality. No zoom or VR, of course.

If you want to blow the budget, the 80-400mm lens is excellent - I like mine a lot. The IQ isn't quite on par with the 300mm, but it's 90% of the way there, it's better than the 300mm + teleconverters, and you get the flexibility of the zoom.

Apr 04, 2014 at 02:48 PM
ckcarr
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Best reasonable set for shooting wildlife?

Is he active, or sits in a chair out back trying to photograph birds?

If active, do the below..

Used, probably found right here on the buy and sell with a little patience, you can squeeze a D7100 and an 80-400mm G (new version) into the picture for right around $3,000. A good hand held setup. Or good on a tripod too. If he doesn't have a good grip the lens body is a little fat however.

If not so mobile,
then a nice tripod, D7100 and 300mm f/4 AF-S and a teleconverter...

Edited on Apr 04, 2014 at 03:13 PM · View previous versions

Apr 04, 2014 at 02:58 PM
MalbikEndar
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Best reasonable set for shooting wildlife?

> The reasoning of using Nikon 1 is its 2.7x factor.

Could be too MUCH reach. Finding the bird, keeping the lens stable enough for an exposure will be tough, especially when making the big jump from more moderate FL.

The relatively moderate setups include the new Tamron, Sigma 50-500 or 150-500, 300 mm Nikon f4 with TC, and the new 80-400. All of these are more or less handholdable under some conditions but benefit from a tripod, of course an additional cost. In Nikonland I would pick a D7100.

It doesn't seem that the people who do digiscoping hang around here.

Apr 04, 2014 at 03:06 PM
RP3lks

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Best reasonable set for shooting wildlife?

For less than $2,000 total: a D7100 + AF-S VR Zoom-Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G IF-ED.
Your dad probably could benefit from the VR and the light weight of this lens, and it's also known to be sharp and a good performer. On the D7100 it would give him a 105-450 AFS VR lens that is easily hand-holdable by a novice. With the D7100 and it's 24 MP he can also crop as needed to gain more effective reach with this setup.

Robert

Apr 04, 2014 at 04:17 PM
ariel777
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Best reasonable set for shooting wildlife?

Clearly, the D7100 is the body. The "best" lens for your situation (other than cost) is the new 80-400....if not, the 300/4 which should allow you to squeeze within your budgetary constraints. Also, a 1.4 and/or 1.7 TC would give you all you need (but no VR which you would have with the 80-400 as well as better balance IMO for carrying about). Some will say that the 70-300VR will suffice but that has not been my experience particularly with small birds as the feather detail is not sufficiently defined IMO.

Apr 04, 2014 at 08:58 PM
glassartist
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Best reasonable set for shooting wildlife?

Depending upon how you want to stretch your budget:

D7000, 300 f4, 1.4 TC, Good tripod and a Wimberley.

A D7100 would be a step up in resolution, an 80-400g would be a step up in reach and flexibility (range) - but both increase your system cost.

Much of this equipment you can find used. TC's often come up for sale as do tripods and Wimberley's - and that can help you stay within budget

I'm with ariel777 that the 70-300, while a marvelous lens for its cost and weight, is both slow and limited in IQ.

Apr 04, 2014 at 09:30 PM
azenis
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Best reasonable set for shooting wildlife?

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I guess I'm going to the shop to have a look at D7100 and 80-400G some time this weekend.

Apr 04, 2014 at 10:45 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Best reasonable set for shooting wildlife?

azenis wrote:
Thanks for all the suggestions.

I guess I'm going to the shop to have a look at D7100 and 80-400G some time this weekend.

You want to look at the D7100 and the Tamron 150-600mm when the lens is in stock.

That combo will give you the best IQ at 600mm for the lowest cost.

Have a look at my shots of a Hummingbird on the Nature &Wildlife Forum that were taken with a Canon 1D4 & the Tamron 150-600.

Apr 04, 2014 at 11:04 PM
James R
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Best reasonable set for shooting wildlife?

Imagemaster wrote:
You want to look at the D7100 and the Tamron 150-600mm when the lens is in stock.

That combo will give you the best IQ at 600mm for the lowest cost.

Have a look at my shots of a Hummingbird on the Nature &Wildlife Forum that were taken with a Canon 1D4 & the Tamron 150-600.

But how good is "best?"

Apr 05, 2014 at 12:28 AM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Best reasonable set for shooting wildlife?

Digiscoping can be a real PITA. Slow to focus and finding the bird in the first place (without an IR spotter). I know only 2-3 that were successful out of many that have tried and failed. Those 2-3 have stellar shots though, a lot of patience and practice required.

Maybe the V3 and it's new dedicated lens (75-300 I think) is an option but you'll still need a tripod at those high magnifications.

Also note that a higher apparent magnification (such as that from a x2.7 sensor) does not mean more pixels on bird and sharper shots than a lower magnification sensor (e.g. APS-C @ x1.5) as you have already discovered with the high mag. bridge camera. Often just cropping from say a FF or APS-C camera can get you close or even better results than those from a high density small sensor.

As far as other lenses are concerned the new Tamron 150-600 looks to be beating out the older Sigmas, from all the results I've seen posted. Tony's (Imagemaster) shot of the Hummer is a perfect example. And that fits perfectly in your budget along with the superb Nikon 7100 (just note the low buffer capacity - but this shouldn't be any concern at all unless shooting heavy action). So worth waiting for the Nikon version which should be along very soon.

Apr 05, 2014 at 01:13 AM
looklikefrost

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Best reasonable set for shooting wildlife?

I know people who did it best with sigma. Waiting here for the Nikonian solutions.

Apr 05, 2014 at 04:55 AM
cohenfive
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Best reasonable set for shooting wildlife?

If a dslr, I'd agree the d7100 is probably the ticket...and they are pretty good value these days, especially mint used here on the buy/sell board. As for lenses, I'd add one more possibility...the sigma 150-500os. Pretty decent value on a budget as well. Using a nikon 1 with ft-1 and something like the 70-300vr is probably pretty decent as well, but it won't track like a dslr will if the goal is bif shots.

Apr 06, 2014 at 09:49 AM
DGC1
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Best reasonable set for shooting wildlife?

I'd get a 300 AF-S f4 and both TC14 and 17 and then pick a body to use them with.

Apr 06, 2014 at 11:52 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.