New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Sigma OS

chupacabra31
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sigma OS

I was just wondering if sigma OS is very subtle compared to say canon or nikon Image stabilization?

The reason I ask is that I picked up a 150 OS to use for portrait and macro when pointing the lens at portrait distances it does not seem like the OS is doing anything. I remember when I had a canon 100-400 you knew when it was on there was a clear difference in viewfinder shake.

I am thinking it is operational because when, I have the shutter button half depressed and I let go I hear a distinct thunk sound like the gyroscope mech or whatever it is has stopped spinning.

I have tried taking some pics that would normally need a much higher shutter speed when hand holding and it seems like it might be working. IE, ISO 400, f3, 1/50-1/80. The results look eh but noticeably better then with the OS off or am I not concentrating enough on keeping steady with it off. I think it works but it is just not like canon IS at alll. Can someone confirm this. Ty.

Apr 04, 2014 at 10:00 AM
gwaww
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sigma OS

I have had 2 copies of that lens. The first the OS quit completely. The second, I've had for awhile and it does seem like the OS is very subtle. And it also seems like the OS has trouble getting going after it sits without use for awhile. It's an excellent lens though and works well of portraits too. I'm thinking about sending it in. I don't use OS in macro work much, but for the price of the lens it should work flawlessly.

Apr 04, 2014 at 10:14 AM
chupacabra31
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sigma OS

gwaww wrote:
I have had 2 copies of that lens. The first the OS quit completely. The second, I've had for awhile and it does seem like the OS is very subtle. And it also seems like the OS has trouble getting going after it sits without use for awhile. It's an excellent lens though and works well of portraits too. I'm thinking about sending it in. I don't use OS in macro work much, but for the price of the lens it should work flawlessly.

Agreed on the OS in macro but it does come in real handy for portraits and lots of other uses and is why I paid a premium for the OS version.

Apr 04, 2014 at 11:53 AM
chupacabra31
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sigma OS

I went to youtube and looked up some demos of Sigma OS on and off and it confirms its just very subtle compared to Nikon and Canon Image stabilizers. Just glad it seems to be working on my lens.

Apr 04, 2014 at 09:35 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.