FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       end

Archive 2014 · E-session - friend wants ALL photos

widjayaman
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · E-session - friend wants ALL photos

eric chang wrote:
kind of puts a sour note on all the pics i thought were good though. As of now, I'm ready to delete them all and pretend it never happened.

If my 'friends' did this to me this is what I would do

Apr 03, 2014 at 10:16 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · E-session - friend wants ALL photos

My pet peeve is when I do something as a gift, and they do not appreciate it.

So, two things...

Always respond, "I no longer have them. They were deleted.", when faced with a request of "all" images.

Write these people and tell them, "Since you desire that I do not show them, I will delete the job and all images from my drives immediately. Please ensure you have created a backup of the images I delivered. Have a nice day."

If you have already insinuated you have the images, you may want to offer to deliver them - IF THEY PAY FOR THE PROCESSING AND DELIVERY.

I would seriously send that.

I'm not kidding.

Apr 03, 2014 at 10:25 PM
TTLKurtis
• • • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · E-session - friend wants ALL photos

Winter is coming.

Apr 03, 2014 at 10:54 PM
AtelierPhoto
• •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · E-session - friend wants ALL photos

The US is becoming an Entitlement Nation... It really makes me sick.

Ditch the "friends," Seriously.

Apr 04, 2014 at 06:56 AM
aonavy
• •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · E-session - friend wants ALL photos

Make sure next time, friends or family, make them sign a contract! Sucks these people are being big floppy $icks.

Apr 04, 2014 at 07:02 AM
NYstyles
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · E-session - friend wants ALL photos

joosay wrote:
Just reading your OP infuriates me. I would distance myself from these people...

Me too.

These people are clearly not friends!! I hope your wife tells them to take a walk off a short pier.

I swear doing favors comes and bites you in the rear more often than not in this industry...

Apr 04, 2014 at 07:21 AM
SGallant
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · E-session - friend wants ALL photos

aonavy wrote:
Make sure next time, friends or family, make them sign a contract! Sucks these people are being big floppy $icks.

It was a gift. You don't need to create a contract for a gift. IMO the OP did nothing wrong here, no one should ever have to consider putting in place protection/definition to give a friend a gift. Once you do that it's not a gift but more of a job.

Apr 04, 2014 at 07:49 AM
vraspa
• •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · E-session - friend wants ALL photos

I would place the text "REJECT DO NOT COPY OR PRINT" really large over the images and send them a copy. I wouldn't worry about their friendship, friends don't behave like that.

Apr 04, 2014 at 08:22 AM
eric chang
• •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · E-session - friend wants ALL photos

Thanks for the vindication, guys.

I had delivered the pics to them via dropbox, but after that super negative response, took them down for the time being. Childish? probably.

I also took (as a friend) pics of potential wedding dresses (wife went dress shopping with the girl), as well as business headshots for the guy.. I'm thinking of still giving these to them since it wasn't part of the 'session', but am super conflicted since it looks like im budging.

I'm thinking of either
a) Re-uploading to dropbox, telling them I will delete the folder in a week. Hopefully they'll be smart and download the pics.
b) Uploading pics to my zenfolio account, and they can buy/print from there (ie. i'm done with them)
c) Kill it with fire. It's the only way to be sure
d)

Regardless I am purging the junk pictures tonight.

Am I being overly mean?

Apr 04, 2014 at 08:41 AM
SGallant
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · E-session - friend wants ALL photos

eric chang wrote:
Thanks for the vindication, guys.

I had delivered the pics to them via dropbox, but after that super negative response, took them down for the time being. Childish? probably.

I also took (as a friend) pics of potential wedding dresses (wife went dress shopping with the girl), as well as business headshots for the guy.. I'm thinking of still giving these to them since it wasn't part of the 'session', but am super conflicted since it looks like im budging.

I'm thinking of either
a) Re-uploading to dropbox, telling them I will delete the folder in a week. Hopefully they'll be smart
...Show more

d) Unless they paid for the other images. I personally would not do another thing for them and just move on.

A lot of what you pose just sets you up for arguments, fights and further headaches IMO. I would just write them off, either deliver everything and say good luck and chalk it up to some people are jerks. Or I would deliver nothing else that isn't paid for and ignore them and any conversations they start completely. Either way I would be trying to cut and run.

Apr 04, 2014 at 08:55 AM
formula4speed
• • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · E-session - friend wants ALL photos

I see you are in Newark, this makes the solution much easier. Go to Iron Hill Brewery, have a few mugs of beer, forget about annoying "friends".

Apr 04, 2014 at 09:13 AM
eric chang
• •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · E-session - friend wants ALL photos

formula4speed wrote:
I see you are in Newark, this makes the solution much easier. Go to Iron Hill Brewery, have a few mugs of beer, forget about annoying "friends".

Went to Timothy's last night for that exact reason...

Apr 04, 2014 at 09:21 AM
widjayaman
• • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · E-session - friend wants ALL photos

At this time I would honestly do neither of your options. I would take it down and not say anything else. If they don't inquire, win-win. If they do, say something among the line of "I was going to give this session to you as a gift. But since you two don't seem to understand what a gift means, I changed my mind. Good day."

By the way I kinda want to see the set.. care to share it with us?

Apr 04, 2014 at 09:27 AM
eric chang
• •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · E-session - friend wants ALL photos

I'll post the set on my zenfolio later and have the pw up here for a bit. I'll probably end up removing the pw from the post just to 'honor' their wishes of nothing being public for now.

Apr 04, 2014 at 09:45 AM
joelconner
• • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · E-session - friend wants ALL photos

I think posting the images to Zen (using a Zen watermark so they cannot screenshot/save them) and allowing them to order anything else you want is a totally fair response. You already gave them a download link. Either they took advantage of it or they did not. After that point, they are on their own.

It is definitely not being too "mean." These people are being completely unreasonable. If you side of the story is accurate and not slanted (I am assuming it is not), they honestly, you could simply walk away and be totally in the right.

Apr 04, 2014 at 09:54 AM
SGallant
• • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · E-session - friend wants ALL photos

Joel just a thought. What happens when the bride orders an image and then decides it's not good enough or some other ridiculous claim. Then he has to CS the issue. So far we are seeing her be absolutely unreasonable over FREE, what happens when she pays? I think he would be better off giving them the high resolution images and letting them print them somewhere and just never talk to them again.

Apr 04, 2014 at 10:06 AM
NYstyles
• • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · E-session - friend wants ALL photos

Give the e session pictures and be done. Do not give them those other photos. They deserve Nothing!

This is biting you now, it will just bite you again giving those other photos....

Apr 04, 2014 at 10:18 AM
Brian Virts
• • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · E-session - friend wants ALL photos

This seems like a classic case of poor client management.

What did they pay for? You paid for all of your expenses? You're new, you needed the photos? I guess I'm lost on what all the expectations were. I think that's where the solution is.

Your inexperience in managing them is not their fault. Most of what you've said on here could have easily been avoided.

Apr 04, 2014 at 10:31 AM
AtelierPhoto
• •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · E-session - friend wants ALL photos

SGallant wrote:
Joel just a thought. What happens when the bride orders an image and then decides it's not good enough or some other ridiculous claim. Then he has to CS the issue. So far we are seeing her be absolutely unreasonable over FREE, what happens when she pays?

This is an excellent point.

OP. They don't want anything posted. You've given them access to drop box for a week... I'd suggest "honoring their response/request" by keeping all imagery offline, including the Dropbox. That's not childish, that's handling a piss-poor situation in a professional manner.

Apr 04, 2014 at 10:45 AM
G-Gore
• •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · E-session - friend wants ALL photos

That totally blows but it's a lesson for everyone - gift or not, have all details explained before anything happens. It was mentioned already in this thread and many other - make sure the people receiving your gift or discounted service know how much it costs for regular client.

Be firm Eric, you are right - they are wrong, and delete their contacts from your and wife's phone :-)

Apr 04, 2014 at 10:59 AM
       3       4       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.