FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       end

Archive 2014 · E-session - friend wants ALL photos

eric chang
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · E-session - friend wants ALL photos

Hi guys,

Your advice on this would be appreciated...

Shot my wife's close friend's E-session as a gift to them. No contract, no expectations. Drove the 3 hours to hang out with them, spent the night, then spent 2 hours shooting with them.

I did the normal post-processing work, and delivered. They love them!

-- problem(s) ensues --

They are insistent on seeing the rest of the pictures, ie the rejects/dupes/non-keepers. I refused, since in my opinion I've already delivered what I felt were the worthwhile pics (plus you never give all the pics to a 'client'). They argue that since it was a gift, they're entitled to see all the pics, especially since the pics were of them. They're now threatening to refuse to let me post them on FB/blog/etc unless they are delivered the rest of the pics. (which I think is a garbage argument and this infuriates me the most).

Now I'm in a pickle since I don't know what to do right now.

Thoughts?

edits: I fail at spelling since I was ranting and mad.. sorry!

Edited on Apr 03, 2014 at 04:47 PM · View previous versions

Apr 03, 2014 at 04:36 PM
SloPhoto
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · E-session - friend wants ALL photos

I would offer to shoot with them again some time (local to you) if they want something more. There is no way I would hand over files I was not happy with in your situation.

For a friend, I would readily agree not to post them to FB, but would also expect them not to post as well. Keep in mind that you own the copyright. You may not have a model release, but they have zero rights to the images unless you extend those rights to them.

Apr 03, 2014 at 04:44 PM
joelconner
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · E-session - friend wants ALL photos

I just tell people that I delete the images they do not see...which is technically true. I do keep every image on a backup drive, but I delete the non-keepers from my workstation after culling.

Sucks, dude....sounds like they are really taking advantage of your offer.

Apr 03, 2014 at 04:44 PM
Mitch W
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · E-session - friend wants ALL photos

They should have been told that rejects get discarded. Unfortunately it sounds like it's too late for that now. It also helps if you renumber the files you're delivering so that there aren't noticeable gaps in the number sequence.

And of course there should have been a contract stating this and the obvious other things, even if they are friends.

Apr 03, 2014 at 04:47 PM
FLSTCSAM
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · E-session - friend wants ALL photos

Answer:

"Gee guys after I deleted all the duplicates, out of focus images, closed eyes, and other unacceptable images I processed the rest and gave the all to you. There isn't anymore."

Sam

Apr 03, 2014 at 04:47 PM
SGallant
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · E-session - friend wants ALL photos

That's the dumbest f%cking argument I ever heard, they are your "friends"? Because it was a gift they deserve it all? Self entitled pricks. Sorry dude, but this would piss me off big time too. Stick to your guns, screw posting to FB if they don't want you to but don't give them another thing other than what you have already.

Sounds like they need to learn the definition of the word gift.
"something given voluntarily without payment in return, as to show favor toward someone, honor an occasion, or make a gesture of assistance; present."

My advice sucks, but I feel for you.

Apr 03, 2014 at 04:52 PM
swoop
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · E-session - friend wants ALL photos

FLSTCSAM wrote:
Answer:

"Gee guys after I deleted all the duplicates, out of focus images, closed eyes, and other unacceptable images I processed the rest and gave the all to you. There isn't anymore."

Sam

Yeah, you should learn to have this as a standard response. If people want "bad" shots, just tell them that you delete them afterward because your hard drive was getting full. Sure, it's a fib. But it really shouldn't be those pics are kinda pointless, but heaven forbid they actually like on of them and share them online. Now you have this awful image that you feel isn't indicative of your style out there for the world to see.

Apr 03, 2014 at 04:53 PM
TTLKurtis
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · E-session - friend wants ALL photos

They don't even have the legal right to tell you that you cannot post things... Some friends you've got...

Apr 03, 2014 at 05:02 PM
swoop
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · E-session - friend wants ALL photos

SGallant wrote:
That's the dumbest f%cking argument I ever heard, they are your "friends"?

I wasn't going to mention it but since it was brought up. Consider this a lesson learned about working for friends and family. It never turns out well. Especially if it's for free because then there's no gauge of the value of the service.

Also Nikon and Canon have spent millions convincing people that better cameras equal better pictures. If they know someone with a really good camera. It doesn't matter how much skill they have (not pointing fingers at the OP, just saying I've seen so many threads where people say "I tried to convince them to hire a pro but they want me") they want their friend/family to do it because they have a nice camera and assume they will get professional pictures. Mix that logic with the prospect of "free" and they're blind to any argument against it. Because even if you louse it up, it still cost them nothing.

Apr 03, 2014 at 05:17 PM
SGallant
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · E-session - friend wants ALL photos

swoop wrote:
I wasn't going to mention it but since it was brought up. Consider this a lesson learned about working for friends and family. It never turns out well. Especially if it's for free because then there's no gauge of the value of the service.

It was a gift, and where I come from. The giver defines the gift, not the receiver. I don't believe this falls into the category you are talking about. That would be true if he was paid $$...IMHO.

Apr 03, 2014 at 05:23 PM
joelconner
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · E-session - friend wants ALL photos

swoop wrote:

I know this is the common refrain among most, but personally...that has never been my experience once (and we have probably shot 10 friends' weddings)

Apr 03, 2014 at 05:28 PM
iunknown2008
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · E-session - friend wants ALL photos

If your not going to act like a professional by charging them to take pictures, why would they expect you to act like a professional when delivering the product?

Apr 03, 2014 at 06:10 PM
TheGE
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · E-session - friend wants ALL photos

It's a gift. They can't demand a thing.

But because they did, they seem like "takers" to me.

3 hours of driving, an overnight stay and a two hour session? I hope they at least treated you to dinner.

Apr 03, 2014 at 06:28 PM
J Knight
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · E-session - friend wants ALL photos

I would drop these people like a hot potato if you can, just dump this 'friendship'.

What kind of people ask you to do them a special favour, then proceed to blackmail you about it?

Given they are behaving so very badly, do you really want to shoot them again or attend thier wedding? You will have to pretend all the time that you like or trust them. Say 'No.' and step away fast.

Apr 03, 2014 at 06:33 PM
BigIronCruiser
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · E-session - friend wants ALL photos

Just reiterate that you're in business to deliver high quality products to your clients, and you NEVER allow clients to see anything but the best. There are no exceptions. Ever. End of story.

Apr 03, 2014 at 06:42 PM
Mr Pixcel
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · E-session - friend wants ALL photos

Time for new friends!!!!!!!

Apr 03, 2014 at 09:11 PM
eric chang
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · E-session - friend wants ALL photos

Thanks guy for the advice; I'm very glad my wife, myself, and you essentially agree that I'm not crazy.

For now I'm holding the line and not budging; if they give me more grief for it i'll just point them here or drop the conversation.

I actually WAS going to give them an engagement album/guest as a gift out of my own pocket, but that has completely evaporated.

Apr 03, 2014 at 09:12 PM
Boss302
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · E-session - friend wants ALL photos

Just curious: what does your wife say about it? They are her friends, you wrote.

Hmmmm? Drive 3 hours. Spend the night. Shoot 2 hours. Post process and deliver. That's a very expensive engagement gift. Make out an invoice for the actual value, mark it "paid in full" (not NO CHARGE) slip it in the mail. Just a thought.

Apr 03, 2014 at 09:19 PM
eric chang
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · E-session - friend wants ALL photos

Boss302 wrote:
Just curious: what does your wife say about it? They are her friends, you wrote.

Hmmmm? Drive 3 hours. Spend the night. Shoot 2 hours. Post process and deliver. That's a very expensive engagement gift. Make out an invoice for the actual value, mark it "paid in full" (not NO CHARGE) slip it in the mail. Just a thought.

wife is completely on my side and is agreeing its total BS. the girl called my wife immediately and tried to convince my wife that she's right, but fortunately she's experienced enough to know that no one in their right mind would deliver the non-winners.

kind of puts a sour note on all the pics i thought were good though. As of now, I'm ready to delete them all and pretend it never happened.

Apr 03, 2014 at 10:14 PM
joosay
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · E-session - friend wants ALL photos

Just reading your OP infuriates me. I would distance myself from these people...

Apr 03, 2014 at 10:14 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.