Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Steve Tinetti, Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       4      
       end

5d2 vs 5d3 focusing

ohsnaphappy
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #1 · p.5 #1 · 5d2 vs 5d3 focusing

form wrote:
I think we should start a poll about the 5d3 experiences:

1. Zero problems, e.g. locks focus fast in good and low light (with or without AF assist), and track well in all lighting

2. Some problems with One Shot delays in low light

3. Some problems with AI Servo in low light

4. Some problems with One Shot delays and AI servo in low light

5. Some problems with One Shot delays and/or AI servo in ANY light

6. It used to be great, now it can't track/focus worth a darn in good/bad/any light

Would be interested to see the results

Apr 08, 2014 at 04:54 PM
form
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #2 · p.5 #2 · 5d2 vs 5d3 focusing

5d3's back from Canon, will have to test it in a work environment at some point in the near future, but first I'll have to recalibrate all the lenses. Currently, it behaves exactly the same as far as I can tell from just playing with it around the house.

Service note says...

1. AF assembly out of position causing inaccurate auto focus (lie, it focused accurately [mostly] in good light).
2. Electrical adjustments carried out on AF assembly, product fxn confirmed, cleaned, firmware updated (though it was already updated).
3. Enclosed please refer copy of manual for "Subjects difficult to focus"

Page 110 from the manual, blown up in really big print, "when autofocus fails" - they marker highlighted "Subjects in very low light" and "in such cases, do either of the following"

......that's nice of them to include that part. Odd they didn't include the part where my 5d2s can - and apparently should - focus faster and more accurately in the same dim lighting conditions. But still, will see next time I shoot a wedding with it.

Apr 09, 2014 at 11:38 PM
canerino
• • • • • •
p.5 #3 · p.5 #3 · 5d2 vs 5d3 focusing

form wrote:
my 5d2s can - and apparently should - focus faster and more accurately in the same dim lighting conditions.

So just use your 5d2. Problem solved.

Apr 10, 2014 at 12:08 AM
StanOPhoto
• • •
p.5 #4 · p.5 #4 · 5d2 vs 5d3 focusing

Sounds like you just need to switch to Nikon to make everyone happy.

Apr 10, 2014 at 12:30 AM
SloPhoto
• • • •
p.5 #5 · p.5 #5 · 5d2 vs 5d3 focusing

form wrote:
5d3's back from Canon, will have to test it in a work environment at some point in the near future, but first I'll have to recalibrate all the lenses. Currently, it behaves exactly the same as far as I can tell from just playing with it around the house.

Service note says...

1. AF assembly out of position causing inaccurate auto focus (lie, it focused accurately [mostly] in good light).
2. Electrical adjustments carried out on AF assembly, product fxn confirmed, cleaned, firmware updated (though it was already updated).
3. Enclosed please refer copy of manual for "Subjects difficult to focus"

Page 110 from the
...Show more

You might be happier with a 6d? It is supposedly the low light focus king from canon. (-3ev)

I am curious if the A7s really will focus in -4ev like the specs say. I doubt it will perform quite that well though.

Apr 10, 2014 at 12:42 AM
form
• • • •
p.5 #6 · p.5 #6 · 5d2 vs 5d3 focusing

The 6d lacks features I need when shooting weddings, like a pc sync port (use it all the time), 1/8000ss (outdoors primes f/2 or faster need this), 1/200-250 sync speeds (1/180 does make a difference). It also uses only SD cards, and I honestly don't have as much faith in SD as I do in CF for reliability. Although I could technically force myself to work around these limitations, ultimately to me the camera is just a 5d2 with a better sensor and a few features (that I use) missing.

I don't expect anything from Sony to perform how I need for working environments, their lens selection is limited, and their sensor noise is worse than the same sensor in a Nikon camera.

If I was fully satisfied with the 5d2, I would never have felt a strong desire to upgrade. I wanted to upgrade because I wanted to have good outer focus points to track processionals and grand entrances and dances, and I wanted at least a little improvement in noise performance since I am use high ISOs during receptions and nighttime photography often. Back then I sometimes scrutinized the 5d2 as not being the best performer for autofocus, but having the 5d3 has made me realize that the 5d2 actually locks quite fast during receptions and tracks pretty well considering...

The ultimate result of all my attempts to upgrade is that I have not found a camera that truly did what I wanted/needed a camera to do to give me more compositional/other flexibility for some situations.

In order for me to try anything else within the two main brands, I would either have to technically downgrade (6d/d610) or spend a massive amount of money that I don't have and can't justify (1dx/d4s).

Apr 10, 2014 at 01:44 AM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.5 #7 · p.5 #7 · 5d2 vs 5d3 focusing

SloPhoto wrote:
You might be happier with a 6d? It is supposedly the low light focus king from canon. (-3ev)

I saw where a guy tested the 6D against the 1Dx [-2EV] in low light. He found that the auto-focusing capability of the 6D was significantly better than the 1Dx in the lowest of light!

Apr 10, 2014 at 08:00 AM
Ziffl3
• • • •
p.5 #8 · p.5 #8 · 5d2 vs 5d3 focusing

D. Diggler wrote:
I saw where a guy tested the 6D against the 1Dx [-2EV] in low light. He found that the auto-focusing capability of the 6D was significantly better than the 1Dx in the lowest of light!

While this may be true... in real wedding shooting, where higher ISO is needed, the 1DX will lock on very fast.
I know from shooting with a another shooter who has one.
I had a 5D3 and he a 1DX.... the 1DX was locking on faster in some instances. This is without flash assist.
We are talking ISO 6000 - 8000 - f1.2 with shutter speed below 1/100.
Basically your poorly lit reception hall.

Apr 10, 2014 at 12:15 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

form
• • • •
p.5 #9 · p.5 #9 · 5d2 vs 5d3 focusing

In the end, I would still rather have one good, accurate, fast focus point than 50+ points that take forever and/or can't track well during receptions.

I think Canon screwed up two things in the latest camera releases: AF point illumination and slower AF algorithms for low light. I would expect the 6D to perform similarly...

Apr 10, 2014 at 01:53 PM
JakAHearts
• •
p.5 #10 · p.5 #10 · 5d2 vs 5d3 focusing

form wrote:
In the end, I would still rather have one good, accurate, fast focus point than 50+ points that take forever and/or can't track well during receptions.

I think Canon screwed up two things in the latest camera releases: AF point illumination and slower AF algorithms for low light. I would expect the 6D to perform similarly...

The illumination is a bummer.

Apr 10, 2014 at 04:21 PM
subjectochange
• •
p.5 #11 · p.5 #11 · 5d2 vs 5d3 focusing

I'm surprised no one has asked you yet, but can you list what AF settings you are using with your 5D3?

Be specific and thorough, e.g. what servo tracking case you use, the tracking subsettings of that case, servo image priorities for 1st and 2nd shots, lens drive when AF impossible, AF point selections, etc. Go through all the AF menu tabs.

I am another satisfied 5D3 owner, both with stills and action, good and bad light, and I'll try to compare my settings with yours.

I've never had any kind of hesitation with AF on my 5D3, even in low light, except in one brutally dark case - really brutal, it was f/1.4 ISO 102,400 (max ISO), 1/50. And even then I still got the shot on click #2 (without AF assist I may add).

Apr 10, 2014 at 08:16 PM
form
• • • •
p.5 #12 · p.5 #12 · 5d2 vs 5d3 focusing

I've used AI servo cases 1, 2, 3, and I've modified the original settings as well.

I use One Shot or AI Servo, usually single point, rarely any expansion. Lens drive when AF impossible yes. Most other AF settings are default except AI Servo release priority and One Shot focus priority (gave up on release priority One Shot because it ALWAYS missed). The camera works fine in good light. It never had any real problems in good light. It takes what seems to be FOREVER in low light. It never locks accurately for me on dancing subjects in low light, whether in One Shot or AI Servo.

I ALWAYS use AF assist from 580EX in low light.

There was another forum where someone described that the 1d series and the new 5d3 do a "double check" as part of their focusing algorithm, which the 5d2/etc. don't do. Maybe this is the delay I experience, but it's the difference between getting the shot and missing it. Without the delay, I GET the shot. With the delay, I MISS the shot. The 5d2s will get the shot (usually in focus), the 5d3 will miss the shot if in focus priority, or it will get an OOF shot if speed priority.

Apr 10, 2014 at 09:05 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.5 #13 · p.5 #13 · 5d2 vs 5d3 focusing

form wrote:
I think Canon screwed up two things in the latest camera releases: AF point illumination and slower AF algorithms for low light. I would expect the 6D to perform similarly.

The 6D doesn't have the AF point illumination flaw of the 5D3.

Apr 11, 2014 at 06:51 AM
g-money
• • •
p.5 #14 · p.5 #14 · 5d2 vs 5d3 focusing

I shoot a 5DII and 6D combo during weddings. I can tell you the 6D is unbelievable in low light. It will lock on things immediately that the 5D could not begin to. Also the AI Servo on the 6D is much more accurate than the 5DII.

That said the 6D does have it's draw backs. The limited high shutter speed doesn't bother me as I normally am not shooting in bright daylight. If I do need it I can slap a ND filer on the lens or grab the 5DII as it does just fine in the sun.

Now the limited sync speed does hurt me a bit as I screw up more shots due to motion blur than the camera missing focus so I would love another 70th of a sec to work with.

Lastly the missing PC port. This one is a mystery why Canon left this off as it seemed it would have been a very cheap option to add during production. That said it is an $18 PC/hotshoe adapter fix so while it is aggravating there is a cheap work around.

That said, Joey I have followed you here and on POTN for years and I really I don't think you are going to be happy with anything you get. You seem to focus so much on the negative and look for the worst in things. There is no "perfect" camera. Every camera I have owned from the rebel through the 6D has it's flaws and drawbacks, but good luck with that search.

Greg

Apr 11, 2014 at 01:58 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.5 #15 · p.5 #15 · 5d2 vs 5d3 focusing

form wrote:
The 6d lacks features I need when shooting weddings, like a pc sync port (use it all the time), 1/8000ss (outdoors primes f/2 or faster need this)

I believe there's a hot-shoe adapter with pc sync port. And you can use a one-stop neutral density filter for outdoor shooting.

Apr 12, 2014 at 08:42 AM
form
• • • •
p.5 #16 · p.5 #16 · 5d2 vs 5d3 focusing

There are workarounds for everything, but every workaround is either time-consuming, money-consuming, and/or complication-adding (putting a pass-through device on the hot shoe tends to be a risky thing because it could break or have various intermittent connection issues). Putting on an ND filter involves added expense and time and another piece of delicate equipment to carry along for every wedding involving a daylight outdoor situation like that.

The workaround for using my phottix strato IIs after the trigger bases' plastic started snapping away from the main body was to use the pc sync ports and mount the trigger alongside my flash with a rubber band. This is not pretty, it adds a cord, and every so often the trigger slips off and falls down somewhere. It was best mounted on the camera as originally intended, but the structural flaw of the triggers prevents that. In spite of this, I'm pretty happy with the triggers because they are generally very reliable.

I don't ignore benefits (in the 5d3's case it's mostly the silent shutter mode), but I do scrutinize things fairly critically, especially when they are declared to be upgrades but do not "feel" or "function" like upgrades during 50% of the wedding day.

If any of us was completely satisfied with a tool, would we feel a need to upgrade it?

I feel completely satisfied with the 35L, generally satisfied with the 24L, 50L, 85L, 70-200 f/2.8L IS, 16-35L II, 580EX flashes, etc...

I am not completely satisfied with the 5d2 (limited focus system, bad shadow noise when pushed, etc.), 5d3 (focuses slower/tracks worse than 5d2 during receptions, terrible shadow noise when pushed), d800 (bad amp glow at higher ISOs), and 35 f/1.4g (seems to miss focus too often).

You might notice that I'm dissatisfied mostly with camera bodies, the things that are the most transient and subject to upgrading, and that have multiple different offerings available (in different price ranges) at the same time (e.g. 6d, 5d3, 1dx, d610, d800, d4, d4s, df), and/or some comparison (35 f/1.4g vs 35L).

Apr 13, 2014 at 01:54 AM
       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password