Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Steve Tinetti, Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       5       end

5d2 vs 5d3 focusing

Michael Beard
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · 5d2 vs 5d3 focusing

I hope Canon is able to find something wrong with your camera, Joey.

Apr 04, 2014 at 12:59 AM
JakAHearts
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · 5d2 vs 5d3 focusing

I hope so too! Joey, do you find yourself SMASHING the shutter button because you need that shot the moment it thinks its in focus? I also almost exclusively use AI servo with the 5diii because when it was new, it didnt matter. Moving subject, stationary, kinda moving etc it would track them all (and still does in good light) If Im in servo, and the object isnt moving, I can tell because the lens motor isnt running audibly. The instant anything moves or I move forward backwards a smidgen, I was able to hear the lens make adjustments and then stop. Now, it seems to hunt and bounce around more than ever. Now, in low light reception situations, forget it. Also, those who are talking about the focus beam. Maybe Nikon's is better but if I am more than say, 5 feet from the subject, I might as well not even have the thing on because it doesnt seem to be strong enough to operate. I LOVE the camera for everything else but for receptions, not so much. Youre also not the only person I know of with this issue. Another friend of mine and a separate photographer on another board both say this exact same thing. Is there a way to go back and try the old firmware?

Apr 04, 2014 at 02:03 AM
rollee
• •
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · 5d2 vs 5d3 focusing

I vouch for Toshio.
From the sound of it, you have a defective 5D3 unit, it is the mirror box, which Canon will NEVER admit to. Thus they can't have it repaired.
This problem happens rather frequently, and big companies (C or N) banks on most customers cannot tell the difference, thus in a business sense there is no loss of revenue.

Apr 04, 2014 at 02:25 AM
JakAHearts
• •
p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · 5d2 vs 5d3 focusing

Mirror box issue huh? Damn it. I knew using the 5DIII as a makeshift hammer that one time was a bad idea.

Apr 04, 2014 at 02:28 AM
form
• • • •
p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · 5d2 vs 5d3 focusing

I sent it via UPS today, hopefully I will hear something useful instead of "we don't know but we'll charge you to repair it anyway"

Apr 04, 2014 at 04:40 AM
ohsnaphappy
• • •
p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · 5d2 vs 5d3 focusing

I see that one shot is valuable in this instance for AF assist beam, correct? I'm a Nikon shooter now, but that seems to be what I remember from Canon. I also remember only using servo during the processional/recessional.

However, the OP should be able to nail the shot in servo. I'm assuming guys who shoots sports with the 5D3 at night use servo... So the OP should be able to hit with servo. I feel for him. I'm just going to assume there's nothing wrong with his technique, so I'm willing to bet there is something wrong with his 5D3.

I despised AF on my old 5D2, yuck, but I'm assuming the 5D3 can and does hit for the rest of you, even in servo, at night, at 1.8, with moving subjects. Right?

Apr 04, 2014 at 07:15 AM
popinvasion
• • •
p.4 #7 · p.4 #7 · 5d2 vs 5d3 focusing

My 5D3 is fantastic compared to what you are showing. I do think the 5D3 is amazing. Then it pisses me off, the lack of AF assist drives me bonkers. Sure I can get that from a simple speedlight and shut off the flash, but why for a $10 lamp at most? Just install it Canon. Not to mention having a $400 speedlight on camera on top of a TTL trigger just for AF assist is dumb. I need TTL pass throughs to fire my strobes with triggers so the situation is a beast.

I will also add, I think the 5Dmk3 is just average for grabbing moving subjects. I get maybe a 30% hit rate. I don't have much faith in AI servo so I use single. I may just need to improve my AI servo abilities? who knows. The Nikon Cameras were much better in my opinion for moving subjects and af assist.

Apr 07, 2014 at 08:07 AM
DONIV
• •
p.4 #8 · p.4 #8 · 5d2 vs 5d3 focusing

JakAHearts wrote:
I hope so too! Joey, do you find yourself SMASHING the shutter button because you need that shot the moment it thinks its in focus? I also almost exclusively use AI servo with the 5diii because when it was new, it didnt matter. Moving subject, stationary, kinda moving etc it would track them all (and still does in good light) If Im in servo, and the object isnt moving, I can tell because the lens motor isnt running audibly. The instant anything moves or I move forward backwards a smidgen, I was able to hear the lens make adjustments and
...Show more

i have the same issue. i suspect it was part of a bad batch. i gotta send mine in.

Apr 07, 2014 at 07:43 PM
StanOPhoto
• • •
p.4 #9 · p.4 #9 · 5d2 vs 5d3 focusing

I didn't read the whole thread, just the first couple of posts, but my 5D3s are leaps and bounds more accurate, quicker, and more reliable than my 5D2 and 1D4 ever were. In One Shot or Servo (99% of the time), stationary, moving, dancing, whatever, the cameras lock on and just work. If the light is really dark (1/100sec, ISO 6400, f/1.4), I'll use the speedlite's AF assist in One Shot for better accuracy, but its usually not necessary.

The 5D3 is by far the best camera I have ever used in its price point. I wouldn't mind a pair of 1Dxs, but not at their price point.

Apr 08, 2014 at 12:31 AM
JakAHearts
• •
p.4 #10 · p.4 #10 · 5d2 vs 5d3 focusing

StanOPhoto wrote:
I didn't read the whole thread, just the first couple of posts, but my 5D3s are leaps and bounds more accurate, quicker, and more reliable than my 5D2 and 1D4 ever were. In One Shot or Servo (99% of the time), stationary, moving, dancing, whatever, the cameras lock on and just work. If the light is really dark (1/100sec, ISO 6400, f/1.4), I'll use the speedlite's AF assist in One Shot for better accuracy, but its usually not necessary.

The 5D3 is by far the best camera I have ever used in its price point. I wouldn't mind a pair of
...Show more

Mine was like that. I swear it was. I used to think "there is no way that is in focus" then Id zoom in on the LCD and HOLY %*#*, it is! But now, Im not so confident.

Apr 08, 2014 at 12:53 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

form
• • • •
p.4 #11 · p.4 #11 · 5d2 vs 5d3 focusing

It's been a few days now, they sent me a bill but still waiting for my camera or ANY news about it other than they want money (and they got it). I bet it's going to be a great big waste of $185.

Apr 08, 2014 at 02:35 AM
StanOPhoto
• • •
p.4 #12 · p.4 #12 · 5d2 vs 5d3 focusing

JakAHearts wrote:
Mine was like that. I swear it was. I used to think "there is no way that is in focus" then Id zoom in on the LCD and HOLY %*#*, it is! But now, Im not so confident.

I have about 70K frames on both bodies (140k total) and they've been great so far. I've had mine since the month after they started shipping.

Apr 08, 2014 at 02:49 AM
form
• • • •
p.4 #13 · p.4 #13 · 5d2 vs 5d3 focusing

I think we should start a poll about the 5d3 experiences:

1. Zero problems, e.g. locks focus fast in good and low light (with or without AF assist), and track well in all lighting

2. Some problems with One Shot delays in low light

3. Some problems with AI Servo in low light

4. Some problems with One Shot delays and AI servo in low light

5. Some problems with One Shot delays and/or AI servo in ANY light

6. It used to be great, now it can't track/focus worth a darn in good/bad/any light

Apr 08, 2014 at 03:33 AM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.4 #14 · p.4 #14 · 5d2 vs 5d3 focusing

form wrote:
I think we should start a poll about the 5d3 experiences

If you want to do a poll you should start a new poll thread for it: Click on that button in the upper-right "New poll".

Apr 08, 2014 at 04:24 AM
canerino
• • • • • •
p.4 #15 · p.4 #15 · 5d2 vs 5d3 focusing

Joey,

I shot a wedding this past weekend. I was in a very dark reception hall and guests were doing the hora. There was a ton of energy in the room and many many people were dancing and enjoying themselves. It seemed that everyone was moving/dancing. I wanted to capture the ambience of the room and do some slow shutter work.

The 5D3 did not always pick up and lock focus right away. But hell, I kind of expected that! I would be asking way too much of the camera to expect it to lock focus in that situation. I did get it to lock a bunch of times and was able to get what I was going for.

Would I call this a 'problem'? No way. It's a limitation. But I cannot imagine ANY autofocus camera being able to focus every single time. I was pushing the camera to it's limits. And quite frankly, I was asking too much.

Apr 08, 2014 at 12:55 PM
form
• • • •
p.4 #16 · p.4 #16 · 5d2 vs 5d3 focusing

If I was asking my 5d3 to do any more or be any more capable during receptions than my 5d2s, then that would be one thing...but I am NOT. At this point, I am only asking my 5d3 to be able to do what my 5d2s have been doing for years, and it is not doing so. My 5d2s consistently outperform my 5d3 in every single aspect of autofocusing during receptions, including acquisition speed, tracking accuracy, etc.

It's not the same in daylight or other good light, but during receptions this is universally my experience (20 or so weddings with 5d3 now).

My point is...the 5d3 should - since it's an upgrade - perform comparably or better, but it does neither. It does worse, much worse, like I bought a daylight upgrade that includes a reception downgrade.

Edited on Apr 08, 2014 at 02:39 PM · View previous versions

Apr 08, 2014 at 02:29 PM
DONIV
• •
p.4 #17 · p.4 #17 · 5d2 vs 5d3 focusing

form wrote:
If I was asking my 5d3 to do any more or be any more capable during receptions than my 5d2s, then that would be one thing...but I am NOT. I am only asking my 5d3 to be able to do what my 5d2s have been doing for years, and it is not doing so. My 5d2s consistently outperform my 5d3 in every single aspect of autofocusing during receptions, including acquisition speed, tracking accuracy, etc.

It's not the same in daylight or other good light, but during receptions this is universally my experience (20 or so weddings with 5d3 now).

My point is...the
...Show more

i agree with this.

Apr 08, 2014 at 02:32 PM
form
• • • •
p.4 #18 · p.4 #18 · 5d2 vs 5d3 focusing

This is why I am still mad at Canon. Very, very expensive upgrades that often do not actually feel like upgrades at all in some functionality respects. Sure it has more AF points, but in the end I am sometimes forced - out of necessity - to take one good, fast AF point (5d2 center point) over a bunch of slower and less reliable AF points (all 5d3 points) during receptions.

As I said, my 5d3 results are quite different in daylight, where all the points perform pretty well, track fairly well, etc.

The last wedding I shot, I used my 5d2 - in AI Servo - to track the oncoming wedding party for the grand entrance. Out of all the bursts of tracked shots (about 30+?), it probably misfocused one or two. I can say with confidence that, if I had used my 5d3 for the same shots (using the same lens, with the same light levels), I would have had so many out-of-focus images that it would've made the culling process infinitely easier...and some of the wedding party pairs might have been completely missed/OOF as a result. I couldn't afford to take that risk, so I went with my tried-and-true 5d2s, and they did NOT disappoint me.

Also, based on the results I am describing (hardly any misfocused 5d2 AI servo images for a grand entrance), I posit the idea that it is not necessarily my technique that is lacking/causing so many misfocused images with the 5d3, since the same technique is leading to many in-focus images with my 5d2s under the same circumstances.

Apr 08, 2014 at 02:47 PM
SGallant
• • •
p.4 #19 · p.4 #19 · 5d2 vs 5d3 focusing

30+ shot burst? At a wedding?

Apr 08, 2014 at 03:05 PM
form
• • • •
p.4 #20 · p.4 #20 · 5d2 vs 5d3 focusing

Not all at once, I shoot, tracking the moving subjects, try to get some photos of people clapping, repeat when the next group walks up, etc.

But yes, grand entrances and processionals definitely call for burst for me because there are too many times when people close their eyes or talk or do something else that ruins the image.

When I say burst, I mean a lot of fast shutter clicking at or near max burst speed, depending on the AF mode I'm in. Like, if I'm in One-Shot, then obviously I will get fewer frames.

Apr 08, 2014 at 03:06 PM
1       2       3      
       5       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       5       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password